Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72 RFI

CedB

In October 2017 I was lucky enough to have two warbird flights, one in the Boultbee Spitfire I built here and the other in the 'Wacky Wabbit' Harvard (thanks to Brian) at Classic Wings in Duxford.

The full story and the 'crikey I learned a lot' WiP is here. New things include a LONG discussion on creating custom decals from photos.

The kit is the old Heller T-6G Texan and some modifications included custom decals, pitot, exhaust, canopy framing, fuel fillers, undercarriage indicators and crew.

Not a fully accurate model but the best I can do and a great memory of the day.

Painted with Colourcoats (I love them now too) mostly airbrushed but with some brush work, especially dotting around the decals.

39908547371_6f95a7d859_z.jpg

25036982837_7f4b3c8d16_z.jpg

25036982817_539eb51405_z.jpg

39009635555_68210390d8_z.jpg

39009636155_92a0d26bfd_z.jpg

39009634805_5a8995befb_z.jpg

That's me in the back and @brianj1uk in the driving seat. What a great guy (Brian, not me, obviously) :) See?

39009636015_38a3f2cc49_z.jpg

No, not really then. Ho hum. My compulsory 'in flight' shot:

39009635745_c6458a2b22_z.jpg

I really must do something about that backdrop.

I'm hoping to pose them like this:

39009635815_17d2b2fbf5_z.jpg

Without the hand, obviously.

Yes, we did fly in formation with a Spitfire - I did say I was lucky. Not this one (that's my Boutlbee) but Classic Wings 5RoH.

It is a day I will remember for a long long time.

It's also given me a liking for the Harvard; previously I thought 'dumpy', now I think 'sturdy girl'.

Very aerobatic sturdy girl. I may even love them now, a bit.

Thanks Brian.

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CedB said:

I may even love them now, a bit

How could you not love a Harvard ?! :shrug:

Anyways Ced, despite your lack of taste (:tease:) that's another cracking little model off your production line, super job!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The WIP was a delight from start to finish, the sturdy girl is very lovely, and its a fantastic memento of a splendid day. What more could one ask for. A well earned glass of red, then what's next maestro?

• Thanks 1

That last shot with your hand puts everything in the right perspective: you did a heck of a job on such a tiny model :worthy:  :clap:  :clap:  And you also got caught by the super-detailing bug, so ... :whistle:  :D

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoyed seeing this coming together. The way you put the exhaust together is closer to the real thing that you will ever imagine! I love the photo of the recreation of the brief formation with a Spitfire (without hand), it was a special moment wasn’t it? You’ve done the model proud and next time we are looking for a repaint can we give you a call? Looking forward to seeing what’s next on your build list. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon (Beard) - more attention bestowed on this than most of my efforts, but worth it IMHO :)

Thanks Simon (Spookytooth) - new skills learnt indeed, or learned. English eh? Learnt/learned are now interchangeable apparently like burnt and burned. Having an English teacher for a wife is sometime useful, although every time she corrects my grammar I love her a little fewer :D

Thanks Keith - Harvard love indeed (DO NOT Google that!) Perhaps I should knock out the Airfix one while it's fresh in my head :)

Thanks Jon - glass(es) of red were had. I must stop watching Question Time, it really increases my consumption! :)

Thanks Rob, very kind :)

Thanks John (D.C.) - I should have said that the exhaust is my favourite Mr Metal iron, burnished in some places and then dry brushed with AK Old Rust and dotted with light grey. Glad you like it :)

Thanks Bill, it was great to have you along! :)

Thanks Benedikt, I'm pleased it's done too! :)

Thanks Giorgio :) Super-detailing? Very kind of you to say so, but I'm not sure I'll keep it up (although I am desiring a soldering setup...)

Thanks John (Viking) - they do have a very characteristic sound don't they? Brian explained that it's the prop tips going supersonic and that one has to ease off over populated areas. Not so on the pre-landing pass of the airfield though!

Huge thanks to Brian - couldn't have done it without you and that special formation will stay in my mind, close to the front for easy access. What a memory. Along with the Boultbee flight and your cheeky side-slip in the Rapide at Duxford. Great stuff.

If Wacky does need repainting I'd be happy to come up with my airbrush. And an extension lead. A long one :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Huge thanks to Brian - couldn't have done it without you and that special formation will stay in my mind, close to the front for easy access. What a memory. Along with the Boultbee flight and your cheeky side-slip in the Rapide at Duxford. Great stuff.

+1 on that side slip. You made three grown men very happy that day. If PC and I were nearer we’d be badgering Ced for a return visit. Maybe next year?

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the WIP and the model is every inch what I expected - a lovely replica of a beloved machine. Top job Ced, and thanks for sharing it all with us.

I wonder what your third ride model will be...there's a two-seat Buchon/Bf109 flying in the UK now...

• Like 1

Thanks Dennis! :)

Thanks Zac - tempting! This is my third (and it's hard to say that without sounding boastful); the first was the Rapide that Brian piloted when Jon, PC and I went to Duxford in 2015. Then the Boultbee Spitfire and finally this Harvard. To be honest I think I'd better stop now. The joy of flying in them is somewhat reduced by the pain of having to model them afterwards! :D

This latest entrant in the Ced's Flying Circus ceiling diorama is IMHO one of your best yet sir, causing me to invoke that well-known firm of lawyers: Bravo, Kudos & Plaudit.

:thumbsup:

Tony

• Thanks 1