1/24 Airfix Stuka

Hi,

Been out of contact for a while but building in the background. 

My my latest project is a 1/24 Airfix Stuka. I'm well into the project - and if of interest I'll share some photos.

i have to say that given the poor perception of these old 1/24 scale kits, this one (which dates back 1970's) is going together really well. 

That said, I need some help. The rear section of the canopy was miss shapen and in trying to correct that I broke the damn thing. I'll have a go at fixing it, but in an ideal world I'd replace it. 

Does anyone one know where I can get one? I'm in touch with Airfix but it seems to be heading down a blind alley.

Thx 

• Like 2

Good luck with getting a spare - this kit seems to be well and truly 'out of production' - I've been trying to get my hands on one of these kits for a while.  They were on offer about a year ago and I thought - 'oh I'll get one soon' - but now they're gone - bugga :doh:

I'd like to follow along on the build though - if you don't mind the munching sounds over your shoulder :popcorn:

I'll definitely be following this one. I have one in my stash which was given to me as a birthday present in the '70's. I started it then left it alone as even then I wanted reference pics to help me improve it. I've got a bunch of after market goodies for it now, too!

Ian

• Like 1

This kit has always attracted good reviews, so I am sure it is still a great plane to build. Display the broken canopy next to the model as battle damage. I very much doubt Airfix will ever come to the rescue...

This will be fun!

JR

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'll be following this build very closely.

Does anyone know how the new Trumpeter 1/24th Stukas compare to the Airfix's kits?

Cheers.

Chris. 

I don't think they do the same variant - but I could be talking through my hat - it has been known :whistle:

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'll definitely be following this one. I have one in my stash which was given to me as a birthday present in the '70's. I started it then left it alone as even then I wanted reference pics to help me improve it. I've got a bunch of after market goodies for it now, too!

Ian

Ian, 

I'm in the same boat, I did a bit of work on the cockpit, but put it to one side. 

I have the book by Bruce Robertson and Gerald Scarborough which comprises 60 pages about the Ju87 and 34 pages of detailed step by step super-detailing of the big Stuka, plus hints and suggestions. For example on p71 Scarborough describes how to "de spat" the model. 

He goes on to describe the conversion of the Airfix 87B-2 to the A, the B-1 and even the D. 

I plan to finish mine as "209", this means finding 1/24th Italian markings and the RAF ones. 

Ju.87B-2
Unit: ex 209 Squdriglia, 97 Gruppo Bombardamento a Tuffo
Serial: ex 209-18 (W.Nr.5763)
Unknown location, Libya, September 1941. . The aircraft was captured by British troops in September in the Libyan desert. Interpreting period b/w photographs, the codes are painted in yellow. However, some sources claim these were white, the photographs not enabling a definite identification to be made. Strangely enough, the Italian Stukas never received a desert camouflage scheme as their German counterparts did, and flew in their original 'continental' colours in North Africa. Note that although British roundels and fin flash have already been applied on this Ju 87, it still retained its previous Italian markings of wing fasces and white tail cross at this stage. (Camouflage: RLM70 Schwarzgrun/RLM71 Dunkelgrun upper surfaces with RLM65 Hellblau undersides).

Some pictures of a model by "Jon" on ISM here:  https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?t=21922

It was also featured in the Italeri 1/48 Junkers Ju-87B-2/R2 'Stuka' Picchiatello # 2769

Edited by 224 Peter
Link added.

I finished one of these huge kits about 3 years ago. It ended up looking pretty good although I finished it as a well-used BoB version. Pics and the story under RFI topic under "Airfix 1:24 Scale 1940 Ju 87B". It needed some tinkering since it was also dragged out from a garage loft, partly-finished with one or 2 bits gone astray. I also managed to crack part of the rear canopy fiddling with the internal handle that rotated the MG mount. Managed to get it mended without much visual damage but can't help with a replacement unfortunately if Airfix not cooperating. It's an interesting and evocative a/c to detail though. Lots of luck.

Paul

Ok. Well looking at some of the work done by you guys, I can only hope I can live up to expectations. I can't help thinking I've made a rod for my own back. 

The good news is that Airfix are able to provide the missing part for a small charge, so hopefully I'll have that in the next few days.

I'll drop some photos and updates in over the next few days.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cloudman1961 said:

Ok. Well looking at some of the work done by you guys, I can only hope I can live up to expectations. I can't help thinking I've made a rod for my own back. 

The good news is that Airfix are able to provide the missing part for a small charge, so hopefully I'll have that in the next few days.

Well done Airfix :yahoo:

Good skills, I have to say that although Airfix aren’t as fast on spares as they once were, they are quite persistent. I’ve had emails from them a year later when they’ve managed to locate a part I’ve requested. It’s worth not giving up on them. Anyway, good luck with your build, I look forward to seeing how you get on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cloudman1961 said:

Glad Airfix were able to help.

On reading this thread it reminded me that when I built my own Airfix 1/24 Stuka about 18 months ago it had an extra set of transparencies which I could have given you if Airfix had failed.

I will be watching your own build with interest!

Dave