Heller 2018 online

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

Interesting to see the list of 135 items on Scalemates including Maintracks conversion but no mention of Peters RC-135U(72-42) conversion. I just wondered why?

Just found the expansion button

Edited by chris57
Question answered

25 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Interesting to see the list of 135 items on Scalemates including Maintracks conversion but no mention of Peters RC-135U(72-42) conversion. I just wondered why?

Just found the expansion button

Hi Chris, I got the RC-135U masters (and the other KC-135 derived sets in the Maintrack range) from Whirlybird last year to be reworked, just hoping that Italeri re-issue a suitable C-135 base kit soon.

Colin

A special welcome for the AAC-1 Toucan otherwise known as the Junkers Ju 52.  ISTR the Heller Ju 52 as the best of the crop in 1/72: the corrugations were certainly beautifully executed in that hard dark green plastic Heller used to use.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Hi Chris, I got the RC-135U masters (and the other KC-135 derived sets in the Maintrack range) from Whirlybird last year to be reworked, just hoping that Italeri re-issue a suitable C-135 base kit soon.

Colin

Does that mean an RAF Rivet Joint is any nearer Colin?

2 hours ago, Arachnid said:

A better selection,dare I say better than Airfix ?😁

Naughty step.......NOW! and then get your mouth washed out with carbolic! :puke::wicked::tease:

Just remember, Heller was the main reason for (one of) the collapse of Airfix.

Paul

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Colin

Hi Colin  I have a RC-135U in the stash and have used it to make myself a couple of Rivet joint versions. Are you going to make new cheek radar "a la" Spectre Resins as per Lockheed Martin?. cheers Chris

17 hours ago, Seahawk said:

A special welcome for the AAC-1 Toucan otherwise known as the Junkers Ju 52.  ISTR the Heller Ju 52 as the best of the crop in 1/72: the corrugations were certainly beautifully executed in that hard dark green plastic Heller used to use.

I would agree with that. I'm currently building an original Heller JU-52. Interior detail is a bit basic but, I'm not really bothered about that. It goes together extremely well. Only issues I had were a number of sink marks - fortunately none on the corrugated skin areas - and, the fuselage roof section being an awkward fit.

17 hours ago, Arachnid said:

A better selection,dare I say better than Airfix ?😁

In terms of subject matter overall, I'd agree with that.DC-6, CL-215/415, E-3 Sentry (subject to my earlier reservations) Boeing 707, EC-121, L749/L1049 Constellation, Noratlas, Viggen, Mirage IV, Dassault Anniversary sets, the 1/125 Airliners (despite the uninspiring, dull and predictable Air France liveries). What's NOT to like!!:lol:. Depending on price level, Heller will be getting more of my hard earned than Airfix this year.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

If the catalogue is showing the production box-art then Page 50 clears up any remaining doubts from a topic of a few months ago about the contents of the 1/48 scale Dassault Anniversary set and conflicting versions of the box-top that could be found back then on the internet.     

That shown in the catalogue combines old artwork for Heller kits that have been around for quite a few years - Mirage IV (as was expected) , Mirage IIIC/B and not a IIIE which has never been kitted in 1/48 by Heller and Mirage 2000N not the Afghanistan themed 2000D with added resin etc.

As said all three have been around for a few years but are nonetheless solid examples of the aircraft represented and depending on price could prove attractive to anyone having or developing an interest in Dassault's Deltas.

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Was hoping they'd redo their 1/50 Puma, as it's the nearest we would get to a 48th RAF version.

Who knows maybe the backend of the year if all goes well.

Would be certainly be welcome especially with an update sprue and/or new decals.

I see from checking Scalemates that while their Ecureuil/Squirrel and Jet Ranger/Kiowa kits have had a few new boxes/parts/decals over the years their other 1/50 Helicopter kits did not get much attention from the late 1980s until the Alouette II got a new box in 2012 and the Gazelle new decals in 2014.

Maybe if what seems to be their biggest re-launch in years works out then some other kits will reappear, didn't notice the 1/35 Super Frelon in the catalogue either.

I remember a few years ago Heller had plans to produce a new Tiger alongside their Sherman, but still there is no sight of if in catalogue.

Edited by Botan

... and a new tool Alpha Jet in 1/72... Both the Airfix and Heller toolings are getting a bit long in the tooth. Funny thing is, Heller had to rebox the Airfix Alpha Jet in their most recent releases, as they don't have their own tooling anymore, which, if I'm not mistaken, is with Lodela in Mexico (as is for instance the T-6 Texan tool). Both the Heller Alpha Jet and Texan were most recently reboxed by Revell. Funny things happen with those toolings. Last I heard, the Heller Saab Draken is also in South-America.

12 hours ago, ivand said:

... and a new tool Alpha Jet in 1/72... Both the Airfix and Heller toolings are getting a bit long in the tooth. Funny thing is, Heller had to rebox the Airfix Alpha Jet in their most recent releases, as they don't have their own tooling anymore, which, if I'm not mistaken, is with Lodela in Mexico (as is for instance the T-6 Texan tool). Both the Heller Alpha Jet and Texan were most recently reboxed by Revell. Funny things happen with those toolings. Last I heard, the Heller Saab Draken is also in South-America.

Sold to pay for (amongst other things) the 1/72 Concorde allegedly, and apparently behind the back of Humbrol

Are the 1/72 figures the Revell ones?

Edited by Dave Fleming

Somebody have added Heller's AAC.1 TOUCAN  to scalemates, but with description "new parts". Can somebody confirm or deny, that this is not a simple rebox? After anybody can add whatever there.

I know that sometime I can sound a bit harsh in my comments, and I'd better say first that I'm actually sad to have to say bad things about modelling companies as being an enthusiast I'd like to have dozens of nicely profiteable companies churning out brilliant kits...

Still, sometime I find myself having to comment badly on model companies and this catalogue from Heller pushes me to do it !

I understand that the company is not thriving with money, but all the plans they announced in the past seem to have failed, what we have on offer here is a range of old tools that have been around for ages. Sure, some of these kits are still interesting, some are still unique, others though add nothing to what's available today.

And even the good ones make me wonder what's the point of buying a "new" Heller kit.. I bought a Viggen last year, the plastic seemed to be softer than what Heller used in the good old days and the decals are severely off-register. Why should I buy one of their new boxes when I could buy an old issue at a lower price on the second hand market ? With the money saved at least I can buy myself an aftermarket decal sheet...

I really hope Heller gets back to what they used to be when I first entered the hobby, until that happens though it's unlikely that I'll buy much from them

55 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I know that sometime I can sound a bit harsh in my comments, and I'd better say first that I'm actually sad to have to say bad things about modelling companies as being an enthusiast I'd like to have dozens of nicely profiteable companies churning out brilliant kits...

Still, sometime I find myself having to comment badly on model companies and this catalogue from Heller pushes me to do it !

I understand that the company is not thriving with money, but all the plans they announced in the past seem to have failed, what we have on offer here is a range of old tools that have been around for ages. Sure, some of these kits are still interesting, some are still unique, others though add nothing to what's available today.

And even the good ones make me wonder what's the point of buying a "new" Heller kit.. I bought a Viggen last year, the plastic seemed to be softer than what Heller used in the good old days and the decals are severely off-register. Why should I buy one of their new boxes when I could buy an old issue at a lower price on the second hand market ? With the money saved at least I can buy myself an aftermarket decal sheet...

I really hope Heller gets back to what they used to be when I first entered the hobby, until that happens though it's unlikely that I'll buy much from them

agree, build the mirage iv last summer, was a crock, not a bad kit, plenty of airfix tools from the same era that are similar, but the soft plastic sheller uses really isn't up to the job

2 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Have to agree with Giorgio. Heller seem to be in the same place that Airfix was about fifteen years ago; little or no investment in new toolings and only able to rely on moulds of old.

Someday the whole story of what happened between Airfix, Humbrol and Heller will be told.