Mike finishes a model shocker!!!! FFVS J-22A 1:48

Mike

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The undercarriage looks really simple to me?

It's just an A-frame with a drag brace. The "swept" hinge line of the A-frame means that it swings slightly inwards as it is pulled backwards to nestle neatly under the pilot's seat. As the fuselage structure is tubular the belly is non-structural and is a big convenient door. The retracting drag brace has a simple geometric lock to prevent collapse and needs to big rams or anything. The fuselage-end hinge of the drag brace need only be rotated to retract or extent the undercarriage which could be effected with a sprocket and chain like a bicycle (or indeed an F4F Wildcat).

It might be one of the most DIY-able retracting undercarriages I've seen. It would work well for home-built aircraft as it could be fabricated almost entirely for steel tubes without any need for bespoke castings etc. The only apparent downside is that it will give a sizeable aft-CofG shift when retracted compared to lowered.

Thanks for the lesson! I should have said: "…looks like a piece of very complex engineering."

Kind regards,

Joachim

Mike,

well done on an excellent build of on of those (allegedly) difficult * resin kits, of a not quite previously unknown plane to me.

I say not quite previiously known to me because while perusing the latest issue of Scale Airrcraft Modelling (Feb 2018), and having a bit of a smirk to myself over the rather large error in reviewing the wrong model, I noticed on page 26 of said magazine a build of this very J 22 !

The builder made the option with all the white exercise stripes, so very different looking to yours!

* you made it look quite easy, actually !

Just now, Whofan said:

* you made it look quite easy, actually !

Thanks :) it was quite easy actually, with just those few things that I mentioned in the build to contend with, plus a little vagueness about the profiles and decals.  other than that, it was pretty much like building a plastic model, but using CA all the time :shrug:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Thanks :) it was quite easy actually, with just those few things that I mentioned in the build to contend with, plus a little vagueness about the profiles and decals.  other than that, it was pretty much like building a plastic model, but using CA all the time :shrug:

methinks you are too modest.

Incidentally, it looks in the magazine build as though he used the kit decals, the yellow colour in the pictures seems very pale compared to the ones you used.

39 minutes ago, Whofan said:

methinks you are too modest.

Who isn't their own worst critic? :shrug:

About the decals, yeah - they're the weak point of the kit - the Achilles heal if you want to get all dramatic about it :lol: The FCA decals were just streets ahead in looks, handling and so forth.  Well worth the extra effort to level them off with gloss varnish and light sanding.  It was kind of brought on by the kit decal artist forgetting the white behind the 9 I was going to use, and I picked up the Crowns while I was shopping on Sten's website.  He got them to me PDQ too, which helped the build not stall again :)

• 3 years later...

Wow!! It's about time I finished something too! But what a gorgeous little aircraft and yep, never heard of it either.

On 30/04/2021 at 13:10, Mark said:

Wow!! It's about time I finished something too! But what a gorgeous little aircraft and yep, never heard of it either.

dont worry he has not finished anything since! ;) 

Very nice model, Mike! I have had the 1/72 Marivox kit stashed away for  years, and your great job on this one has given me some incentive to at least pull the box off of the shelf. Always thought the J-22 looked like the love child of an Fw-190A and an F4F! Well done!

Mike

Nicely done Mike,..... nice aircraft the J22,.... I`ve always thought it looked like the love child of a FW190 and a Wildcat!!