Mitsubishi Zero Type 21 colours?

RiotRolo

..."With unit markings they are unlikely to be new."... What do you mean...unit markings were only put on after a certain grade of weathering has been achieved? That's for sure not right.

The yellow belly...maybe. Was that applied at unit level together with a top camo in green? Must be since if they were factory applied Nakajima paint jobs you would still see the demarkation going up to the horizontal stabalizor. The birds further back apear lighter again, right. Could be older ones like the one in the front. It would be interesting to find out the unit, maybe that leads to a more precise time window which again might rule out or confirm a newish Nakajima amber paint job...

Looking at what is currently is "the word" on Zero colors, second picture down in the link provided, the difference between the Nakka Zero and sample 16 for a Mitsubishi bird, it is clear that a faded Mitsubishi next to a newish Nakajima would be quite a contrast.

http://j-aircraft.com/research/gregspringer/wem-review/wem-review.htm

cheers

Uwe

26 minutes ago, anj4de said:

..."With unit markings they are unlikely to be new."... What do you mean

Perhaps not expressed as clearly as I could have done.

Try "With unit markings they are unlikely to be brand new, sitting outside the factory waiting to be delivered to a unit".

I can suggest https://www.pacificwrecks.com/restore/canada/blayd.html

and to the https://www.pacificwrecks.com/restore/usa/texas-flying-legends.html

Try to get ahold of Ryan Toews,  I met Ryan, he did a talk on the Zero at my local model club recently. He can be referred to as a nerd on this aircraft's research. The stencils, colours, how it was painted etc. There is just a phone number, I don't know if there's an email, you'll have to look into it. The colour of the finished model shown here looks quite correct from how it was explained to me. They are not actually light grey I'm told.

I found a decal manufacture which illustrates the first two characters of the particular tail codes (and quite possibly the air frame with the white tail/rudder) found in the period b/w photo being discussed:

RD72074Profiles.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

Just began building the Tamiya 48th A6M2 Type 21, I plan to build it as Sakai's V-103. Other than being not the best fitting kit I've built, I was wondering, could I get away with the camouflage by painting it in RLM 02? I don't have Tamiya where I live. I could play stupid and paint it light grey as the coloured poster shows too.

Edited by Sturmovik

9 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Just began building the Tamiya 48th A6M2 Type 21, I plan to build it as Sakai's V-103. Other than being not the best fitting kit I've built, I was wondering, could I get away with the camouflage by painting it in RLM 02? I don't have Tamiya where I live. I could play stupid and paint it light grey as the coloured poster shows too.

If that's supposed to be Ame-Iro (and, knowing nothing about Sakai's V-103, I don't know if that's the appropriate colour), not sure that RLM 02 would be the best match.  From what I recall of Nick Millman's writings, one of his bottom lines was that Humbrol 168 Hemp was an acceptable readily available out-of-the-tin match, so it's probably a better option.  

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JackG said:

I found a decal manufacture which illustrates the first two characters of the particular tail codes (and quite possibly the air frame with the white tail/rudder) found in the period b/w photo being discussed:

RD72074Profiles.jpg

regards,

Jack

Not to go off topic too far but those subjects above are pretty awesome, I'm a big fan of unusual, non-standard paintwork and markings.   I've been thinking about building a Tamiya Zero (32nd scale) and the green overpainted Zero's, as seen during the Rabaul campaign really appeal to me.   I've spent some time on Google looking for decent aftermarket decals, not finding anything.   Anyone aware of any decals out there?

Regards,

John

I was able to order the WEM paints...from a shop in Holland! 🙂 Once they arrive I can carry on with my little 48scale A6M3...and hopefulls soon with the big Tamija A6M2. From the later I want an early Nakajima bird in that beautiful amber/curry color that the Rufe model futher up has. ACJ17 from WEM paints. Looking for a suitable bird, anybody got some pics? Preferably a carrier plane, maybe during the Santa Cruz battle?

cheers

Uwe

• 11 months later...

Just thought I'd revive thread as I came across a new Tamiya Lacquer color that is supposed to be intended for the A6M2 Zero, LP 33 Gray Green (sorry about the image size, I do not know how to resize):

spacer.png

I'd be interested in comments on this color, it seems to fall into the realm of accuracy based on previous descriptions.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2019 at 9:00 AM, anj4de said:

I do not think so...since the white surrounded sun is a typical Nakajima sign...but Nakajima birds had the demarkation between the green and the gray going up to the rear stabalizer which would have been very visible even with this kind of picture quality. Also, at least to me, it would be new that A6M2s came off the assembly line in two colors already (?) . Look at the hood, they are difinitely A6M2s... I have run the picture through an "auto enhancer" and it got better to a point where it is clear that they have only one color all around. On the first darker bird you can also make out the differently colored aileron...which in green would be not nearly as clear. In my opinion those are new Nakajima birds in fresh Amber brown and an older, faded, Mitsubishi one...

cheeers

Uwe

The darker color is far too dark for the Nakajima A6M color, which was slightly more brown/tan than Mitsubishi's. Compare the tone of those dark upper fuselages to the engine cowlings, and they are very close. I concur with Graham.

A while ago I had the chance to photograph sections of A6M2 fuselage skin recovered from (I believe) Rabaul. The sections were from near the horizontal stab and had the tail fairing removed on recovery, so the darker area was not sun bleached at all. The owner of these fragments had been involved in the restoration and refinishing of the airworthy Blayd Corporation (https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/a6m2/blayd.html)  A6M2-21 Zero seen at airshows in the U.S. and had done years of research in order to accurately match the colors. One interesting thing he had discovered was that the metal and fabric portions left the factory the same color! The clear carrier medium of the paint "ambered" rapidly as it aged, while the dope on the control surfaces did not - hence the difference! The paint was well and truely worn off portions, exposing the red-brown primer underneath.

Below are the photo's (taken under incandescent lights) but with paint color cards from various model paints available for comparison. Not the ideal conditions to photograph, but with the model paint chips, a fairly accurate idea of the real color can be gleaned.  

The bonus is the area of 'Aotake'

IMG_0276

IMG_0275

IMG_0274

IMG_0272

IMG_0271

IMG_0270

DSC3647-800x.jpg

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just to confirm this limited bit of my knowledge of Japanese aircraft - the deep blueish-green is the (in)famous 'Aotake', is that correct?

Regards,

Jason (who quietly laughs to himself when Soviet WWII colours are called a 'minefield')

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Learstang said:

Just to confirm this limited bit of my knowledge of Japanese aircraft - the deep blueish-green is the (in)famous 'Aotake', is that correct?

Yes, that's the 'Aotake' anti-corrosion finish. But, because it is a translucent finish over bare metal, it's appearance (piece by piece) changes due to the grain of the metal, surface condition of the metal before application (clad, cast, polished, formed etc.), and the thickness and number of application coats.

In other words, you have kind of a wide latitude with 'Aotake'!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1