F/A-18 Hornet

This will be my project for my next 28 day trip away at sea starting Saturday.

y4mfuu3TUBFElheNOJHzpQQndCtgZQGhG3UpAESc

At the end of this trip we will be flying back from Norway so with that in mind I chose something from my meagre stash that would in theory be easily packed and should it get damaged no great loss. Also the amount of modelling gear, paints etc. is also having to be kept to a minimum.

Once I get started, hopefully on Sunday, I'll try and post regular updates of my progress here. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

This will be good to follow, thinking of doing one for the carriers ahoy GB build. This should keep you busy at sea

Happy to have you following along.

I would be interested to hear any opinions of this kit but any inaccuracies will have to stay that way as it's a strictly OOB build. However I'm already thinking a 1/48 version would be nice at a later date. :D

Edited by Roger Newsome

I'm watching as I've got one in the stash and I've got a similar amount of space to build it in... despite living in a 4 bed house with a wife an 2 kids.

I've not managed to work out how I've got so little personal space. :speechless:

Edited by Harry_the_Spider

53 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I'm watching as I've got one in the stash and I've got a similar amount of space to build it in... despite living in a 4 bed house with a wife an 2 kids.

I've not managed to work out how I've got so little personal space. :speechless:

Great! I'll try and remember to take photos of what gear, paints etc. I've brought.

I know exactly what you mean about personal space, best not to try and work it out, just try and manage what you have lol

I haven't  got much done apart from a some cockpit assembly and some priming. 

I'll leave this overnight and see how much detailing I can add with the brushes tomorrow.

However I have spent quite a bit of time staring at the raised panel lines trying to formulate a plan. :hmmm:

20180129_211750

• Like 2

Great start!

If you're planning to re-scribe the panel lines, then I suggest find a really good diagram of the hornet for a reference.. IIRC the lines the kit provided is not so accurate. 

Anyway....

28 days? On the sea? 

Sounds really familiar for me...;)

Here's where I build (and my current project) during my 28 days hitch...

Uxz7gxe.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

• Like 3

Thanks Mario and thanks for showing your work space. Judging by the amount of stuff you are able to leave out on your desk the weather is much better than where we are in the North Sea. :D

I dont think the kit is worth all the work involved in rescribing the panel lines, I will leave them as they are and see what it looks like when its finished. As long as it provides some entertainment for this trip I'm not too concerned.

• Like 1

Last night's work.

The cockpit detail is a bit sparse but I decided to leave it be rather than fiddle about adding seatbelts etc. in lumpy weather.

20180131_071905

20180131_073019

Most of my time was spent masking off the canopy which is now glued in position.

20180131_072947

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lifeline said:

Wow, that's fast...

You might able to finish it before 28 days.

Anyway, just curious.. Do you bring your airbrush compressor on board? And where did you paint it?

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Another reason why I should perhaps brought something a little more complex Mario, however I do have a 1/144 project that needs finishing off and there's also researching the next project. :winkgrin:

When I get a bit more time later I'll post some info and photos of my airbrush set up.

• Like 1

This is what I bring for airbrushing.....

20180201_162020

A small box containing compressor, mains lead, air hose and airbrush.

20180201_162042

The airbrush is a H & S Ultra, the rest of the stuff came with this set from Expo Tools.

https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/AB603-Expo-Airbrush-Deal-AB605.html

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PZRGREN said:

Thats a quick build looking good  with it!   I'm following along.

Thank you and glad to have you following.

It's  been a trouble free build so far with very good fit of parts. I've no idea about the accuracy of the kit, nor do I care that much,  I'm enjoying it. :D

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 11:55 PM, Roger Newsome said:

This is what I bring for airbrushing.....

I must say, glad I'm not the only one! :D

I got a similar one but with different (dodgy) brand, which surprisingly works well with anything I put inside.

IxNVNq8.jpg

8 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

It's  been a trouble free build so far with very good fit of parts. I've no idea about the accuracy of the kit, nor do I care that much,  I'm enjoying it. :D

Consider yourself lucky, Roger..

I've 2 unsuccessful attempts to build this kit and the fitting just turned me off...

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Edited by Lifeline
Added picture
  • Like 1

A little bit further and a coat of paint on the underneath.

There are probably a lot of seam lines that should have been filled and I'm happy to put that down to insufficient research and not being overly bothered on this particular project but the seam just behind the nose definitely shouldn't be there and is taking some shifting. :frantic:

I didn't notice how bad it actually was until it was too late so back to sanding.

20180204_192946

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PZRGREN said:

Looks like your almost a submariner!   The paint work looks good to me, how you manage it with a sea like that I dont know!

Thank you. Painting isn't too bad, the real challenge is keeping everything on the desk and preventing spillages. It definitely encourages tidyness, shame it goes out of the window when I'm on leave. :rofl:

• Like 2

Hi Roger,

you can be proud of yourself! I almost got sea sick just looking at your photo! It reminded me of my years on North Sea offshore rigs, who were moving like small sailing boats, despite all those ginormous legs that were supposed to keep them anchored to the sea bed... I am a mountain man; I don't do moving water!

Re your Hornet, it is amazing that bits get glued where they are (almost) intended to be glued. Great job so far!

As an admiral, I would have thought your stateroom would be larger... You should have joined the French Navy!

Keep having fun!

JR