BA a319

feoffee2

It’s a very light grey.  I see these almost every day still at GVA (although more and more, they are acquiring blue engine covers). 

There’s a video on youtube of G-EUOH being painted and you can see white flecks in the gold feather design.  There are also lots of close-up photos which show the white flecks.  Look at the first photo in this article.

I have a couple of different decals (Gio and a Slovenian version that is more detailed but less accurate colour-wise).  I’ll be using a slightly lightened Airbus grey.

Funny, the article you link to also said its white! (6th paragraph)

"The aircraft will be painted white with gold strokes of paint to represent the feathers."

White will typically look pale grey when it is not in strong sunlight. (shadow effect)

Also the doves that were traditionally released at the games were white, symbolising peace.

Edited by Scott Garard

35 minutes ago, Scott Garard said:

Funny, the article you link to also said its white! (6th paragraph)

"The aircraft will be painted white with gold strokes of paint to represent the feathers."

White will typically look pale grey when it is not in strong sunlight. (shadow effect)

Also the doves that were traditionally released at the games were white, symbolising peace.

If you swap two words round and stick an and in you'll get a far more accurate statement:-

"The aircraft will be painted with white and gold strokes of paint to represent the feathers."

The first photo in the article of the cockpit shows the modified statement to be correct.

If the flecks are white, then the background has to be light grey (Dove Grey anyone???)

@feoffee2

I've got the BSmodelle sheet which is very helpfully (not!) printed on white backing paper, the white flecks are present if you look hard enough - cutting the decals out is going to be fun.

The trick with painting the model is going to be getting a grey that is light enough to look authentic, but dark enough to show up the white flecks. Unfortunately, you're not going to know whether you've got this right until you start placing the decals, by which time it's too late..

Looking at photo's I can't discern any difference between the wing and fuselage colour. The wings are usually Airbus Grey, so unless they've gone for another different grey it's a fair guess that the fuselage is Airbus Grey as well. I'd say this would be the best starting point, and as @buzz recommends, lighten it a bit if you think its a bit dark.

Whatever you do please get on with it and post your results here, so I can get on with mine without having to worry about the colour!

Hello Dave, I've got that BSModelle sheet but had forgotten that it had the white flecks on it (I'm not near the sheet at the moment).  Do you think that the gold is a bit bright?

Anyway, I'm going to be doing two (eventually), using the Gio and BSModelle sheets.  I was also lucky enough to finally get the (Gio) Firefly decal too.  Ebay seller Kosciuv (Guilherme) has these occasionally (and the Dove decal).

Looks like a sort of dirty white, but definitely noticeably lighter than Airbus grey. If you look at photos of the extended flaps you can see the leading edge is still Airbus grey and the exposed rear upper surface is nearly white in contrast. The video mentioned above shows the upper wing surfaces (with flaps retracted) being painted the same colour as the the fuselage.

Clearly it has had a few bits replaced since it was painted:

https://cdn.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2016/5/3/713423.jpg

Andrew

Seeing the close-up pic that Andrew has linked to, I can now see the white flecks that were mentioned. (My eyes are not as young as they used to be)

So I concede that the base colour may indeed be an off-white or a very pale grey. My apologies, no bum-steer was intended.

17 minutes ago, Scott Garard said:

Seeing the close-up pic that Andrew has linked to, I can now see the white flecks that were mentioned. (My eyes are not as young as they used to be)

So I concede that the base colour may indeed be an off-white or a very pale grey. My apologies, no bum-steer was intended.

Well,  what colour is the radome ?

I think there were supposed to be nine Doves originally but I can find photos of only seven (including two ex-BMI aircraft).  I know that G-EUOH was repainted into regular colours early 2015, and sported a Comic Relief red nose for a while.  I'm not sure if any others have been repainted.  The ones we see now in GVA are increasingly a bit of a mish-mash with regard to replacement panel colours, mainly blue partial or full engine covers.  Some do look rather tatty.

Edited by buzz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm going to build one of these golden doves next and I've decided to use an off-white/light grey base colour, something about a slightly lightened Virgin Grey or maybe just Revell 371.

But there' is one question remained and I can't find the ultimate answer, even after looking at many photos and watching the videos mentioned above:

Is the base colour a wrap around scheme including the undersides of the wings and stabilizers (and engine pylons) or do the undersides remain in standard airbus grey??

I really hope, you guys could help?!

Happy modeling

Michael :D

Edited by Smallscaler
addition

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, 

The BA Dove aircraft are most definetly white as a base colour, and it's a wraparound base colour covering wing undersides, pylon panels etc. I've some pics of BCD in the hangar which I'll try and post later.

Rgds,

Eng