Question on the prop on P-40B on Pearl Harbour Dec 41

Harrier/ViperFan

I was looking at my Airfix 1/48 P-40B, I fancy doing the pearl Harbour scheme on the prop it says to paint the front grey but the back black is this correct? Compared to other companies they have you paint it black and most made models and decals say black or show black and they only pictures I can find are of the attack and after the attack.

I found this on the Kiwi Modelers website that shows the Airfix 1/72 and 1/48 P-40B/C build; if you scroll down you will see some excellent period photos of early P-40's; it looks like some props have natural metal front faces and either black or natural metal rear faces, and some are painted black on both sides. In the article, it is mentioned that Curtiss went with all-black prop blades in 1941, but no date or source for this statement is listed. I bet Dana Bell could probably be more of a resource on this subject.

Mike

http://www.kiwimodeller.com/~kmodel/index.php/forum/build-logs/31675-airfix-1-48-1-72-curtiss-p-40b-warhawks

Hi Guys!

There were two types (and colors) of prop painting, and both were seen on early P-40s.  For antiglare purposes, the aft face was painted Maroon - and never on the forward face.  You'll usually see the application stops a ways from the hub, not covering parts of the prop that would be blocked from the pilot's view by the forward fuselage.  (I suspect this was where the Japanese learned to paint their props maroon.)  The Maroon was NOT painted on the props of Tomahawks bound for the UK.  The other dark prop painting was for camouflage purposes, and began to be introduced in 1940.  To cut the reflection of a spinning prop in flight, the entire prop blade was painted flat black or (in rare cases) Instrument Black - a satin finish black used on instrument boards.  Yellow tips were eventually added as a safety color to both types of prop, though they were rarely seen on the NMF/Maroon props.  

I can't say I've seen much use of Maroon by modelers, but every now and then you'll find the color in a contemporary color photo or an old wooden model.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 6 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, Dana Bell said:

Hi Guys!

There were two types (and colors) of prop painting, and both were seen on early P-40s.  For antiglare purposes, the aft face was painted Maroon - and never on the forward face.  You'll usually see the application stops a ways from the hub, not covering parts of the prop that would be blocked from the pilot's view by the forward fuselage.  (I suspect this was where the Japanese learned to paint their props maroon.)  The Maroon was NOT painted on the props of Tomahawks bound for the UK.  The other dark prop painting was for camouflage purposes, and began to be introduced in 1940.  To cut the reflection of a spinning prop in flight, the entire prop blade was painted flat black or (in rare cases) Instrument Black - a satin finish black used on instrument boards.  Yellow tips were eventually added as a safety color to both types of prop, though they were rarely seen on the NMF/Maroon props.  

I can't say I've seen much use of Maroon by modelers, but every now and then you'll find the color in a contemporary color photo or an old wooden model.

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks for that info Dana. So for the A/C of Welch and Taylor. Theirs would have been natural metal fronts and maroon backs with yellow tips and prop markings?

Edited by sinistervampire319

I thought I saw a photo somewhere showing yellow. But I could be wrong. It is so confusing as to what to paint them. 
Definitely understand H/V's confusion in this matter too. Some finished models I have seen show either NM props or black painted with yellow tips.
That photo of the destroyed P-40's with just the nose sections show all of them with black props with yellow tips. But the photo of the badly damaged P-40 #337 shows the back of the prop painted black (maroon). Need a time machine to go back and get some photos! 

111207-F-MZ229-008.JPGDamaged_P-40_at_Bellows_Field_1941.jpg

Edited by sinistervampire319
  • Like 3

I'm sure that the maroon on the back of the propellers of the Zeros at Pearl Harbour was not copied from that on the rear of the propellers of the P-40s they were shooting at.  Whether this was earlier influenced by some other US use may be another matter.  I suspect however it is just a coincidence if an odd one - there are not a wide variety of suitable dark colours used for the purpose worldwide.