Hawker Hunter T.8B/T.8C - Mark1 Models (14482) 1:144 scale

bootneck

Hawker Hunter T.8B/T.8C

Mark I Models 1:144 scale

The Hawker Hunter must be classed as among the best looking jet aircraft ever produced.  Its sleek lines and Avon powered engine meant that it could achieve almost supersonic speed, quite remarkable for an aircraft designed as far back as 1948.   Although the Hunter was designed and produced from the outset as a military fighter aircraft, it was produced as a private venture by Hawker, mainly as there was little support from the Government at that time; who were more concerned with disarming after WW2 and the country was reduced to living under austere conditions.

Following on from the highly successful single seater version, which had been deemed so popular within the UK and was also exported to over twenty countries, a twin-seat trainer version was produced.  This design was titled 'Specification T.157D' which Hunter gave the designation as the Hawker P.1101; for a two-seat trainer aircraft with side-by-side instructor/trainee cockpit controls.  These were again, mostly designed for the Royal Air Force; however, the Royal Navy also had operational single-seat Hunters by this time and so a navalised version was to be produced.  Ten aircraft were initially diverted, from an original R.A.F. order of T.7 trainers, to the R.N. plus eighteen T.4's were converted to naval requirements and designated the Hunter T.8 Some of these conversions were were old single seat export versions that got returned to Hawker who then rebuilt them as the two-seat trainer version. 

The kit:

mkm14482_1_box_art.jpg

The rear of the box shows markings for four Hunter T.8 two-seaters, two as trainers, one for the Fleet Requirements and Development Unit (FRADU), with the fourth being for RNAS Yeovilton's Admiral's Barge.

mkm14482_2_box_art_rear.jpg

Unlike previous productions from Mark1 Models, this kit contains only one model; although in respect it does contain two fuselages. One is for a single-seat Hunter FGA.9, with the other fuselage being the replacement body to make a Hunter T.8

mkm14482_4_single_seat_sprue.jpg

The two sprues for the single seat Hunter was originally produce by Revell, as #04039 Hunter FGA.9; a kit which in itself has become quite a rare item to find. Mark1 Models has obtained these sprues as they contain virtually all the parts for the T.8 with the exception of the fuselage and two-seat canopy.

mkm14482_4a_single_seat_sprue.jpg

Caveat:  For those wishing to get this kit to make the original single-seat Hunter F.6A/FGA.9, please note that it does not contain the single seat canopy, only the two-seat canopy is supplied in the box.

mkm14482_5_single_seat_sprue.jpg

mkm14482_5a_single_seat_sprue.jpg

The third sprue in the kit is for the two-seat trainer version and contains the fuselage, new cockpit area with two ejection seats, plus the instrument panes etc.  These would be a direct replacement for their single-seat versions. 

mkm14482_6_two_seat_sprue.jpg

The instrument panel facia has been moulded smooth, the detail being provided on an enclosed decal.

mkm14482_6a_two_seat_sprue.jpg

The clear sprue contains a single canopy for the two-seat trainer version.  It is moulded in crisp, clear plastic and should show up much of the internal area of the cockpit quite nicely for those who wish to detail that area.

mkm14482_7_clear_sprue.jpg

The decal sheet contains roundels and squadron markings and motifs for all the aircraft depicted on the back of the kit box.  The detail is clear and all the items appear to be in good register and the colours are vivid.

mkm14482_3_decals.jpg

Conclusion

The use of a separate kit, with additional parts for the main model is quite good, not only must it have saved costs on design and production but it has the added benefit of leaving us with extras for the spares box.  As mentioned earlier, do not expect to find a single-seat canopy to make an original kit, but all the rest is there.  This is a particularly favourite aircraft for me, mainly as I used to work near to the FRADU (Airworks) aircraft at RNAS Yeovilton, and so I am very pleased that Mark1 has produced this.  Mark1 Models has also produce a kit of the R.A.F. T.7 version, as #14481 Hawker Hunter T.7

These models can be purchased from many main line model and hobby shops or on-line.

Review sample courtesy of:

mark1_logo.jpg

• Like 4

Hi John,   I couldn't get your link to work; however, I have got your site and it can be found HERE.   Lovely stuff and thank you for sharing those wonderful images.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the review of this one Julien. The 764 NAS option makes it a 'must-have' for me. The tail fin of the two-seat fuselage looks a lot thicker at it's trailing edge than the origonal kit part but if not a trick of the light I'm sure a little transplant surgery will cure the issue.

This looks like a nice kit and the selection of markings is IMHO very good ! It's one of those few cases where 1/144 fans are better served than those building in other scales..

The T.7s and T.8s wore so many great schemes, if I could build all the ones I like I'd probably need a dozen. Maybe I should convert to 1/144 !

Got the T7 this week. A couple of comments

4 schemes for the FAA but only two for the RAF, there are just so many great schemes to choose from! Hopefully we'll see some decal sheets soon.

The instructions have you add the pylons but no mention of the drop tanks, in fact they are marked "not for use". Presumably the ones shown in the box art are different, they have fins on, would have been nice to provide these.

The head boxs of the seats appear cut down compared to the donar kits single seat. I'm guessing the canopy thickness has caused this. I've got a bunch of Aeroclub whitemetal  seats and pilots that can contribute to the nose weight.

The new fuselage has additional engraved access panels which is nice as it shows it wasn't just a simple remould of the Revell kit with a new nose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

As Mike says, you can't build the single seater from this kit, but as well as the 2 twin stick boxings, Mark1 have released 2 boxings of the single seat revell kit with the usual 2 kits to the box

I should have mentioned that in the review, thanks for reminding me.

One of the boxings is for the Hunter F.6A/FGA.9 and there are two kits in the box:

mkm14479_hunter_fg6_1_box_art.jpg

The decals for this version include markings for R.A.F. Hunters of 229OCU/No.234 Sqn at Chivenor and No.1 Sqn at West Raynham.  There are also marking for an Empire Test Pilots School FGA.9 and a Royal Jordanian version.

mkm14479_hunter_fg6_2_box_art_reverse.jp

As described in the earlier review, the decals are clear and produced by Mark1 Models.

mkm14479_hunter_fg6_3_decals.jpg

The kits themselves are identical to the single seat Hunter sprues, as described in the review at the top of this thread; with the addition of two single-seater canopies of course!

Mike

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

....The tail fin of the two-seat fuselage looks a lot thicker at it's trailing edge than the origonal kit part but if not a trick of the light I'm sure a little transplant surgery will cure the issue.

I have measured the two halves of the original Revell kit and, combined, they are the same size as the T7/T8 kits.  Each half of the single-seat Hunter fin is 0.8mm thick, making the full thickness 1.6mm.  The T7 and T8 one-piece fin measures 1.6mm therefore both kits measure the same.  It must be an optical illusion in the way I have taken the photo's.

4 hours ago, JamesP said:

Got the T7 this week. A couple of comments

4 schemes for the FAA but only two for the RAF, there are just so many great schemes to choose from! Hopefully we'll see some decal sheets soon.

The instructions have you add the pylons but no mention of the drop tanks, in fact they are marked "not for use". Presumably the ones shown in the box art are different, they have fins on, would have been nice to provide these.

The head boxs of the seats appear cut down compared to the donar kits single seat. I'm guessing the canopy thickness has caused this. I've got a bunch of Aeroclub whitemetal  seats and pilots that can contribute to the nose weight.

The new fuselage has additional engraved access panels which is nice as it shows it wasn't just a simple remould of the Revell kit with a new nose.

As James mentioned, there is also a Hunter T.7 version available; kit number MKM14482

mkm14482_hunter_t7_01_box_art.jpg

This version of the two-seat trainer was produced for the R.A.F. and exported to many countries around the world.

mkm14482_hunter_t7_02_box_art_reverse.jp

The kit provides markings for two R.A.F. Hunters: No.74 Sqn at Coltishall and  No. 1417 Flt at Khormaksar, Aden.  Two export versions are also catered for, with markings for Hunters of No.325 Sqn, R.Nl. Airforce at Soesterberg,  and No.724 Sqn, Royal Danish Air Force at Skrydstrup, Denmark.

mkm14482_hunter_t7_03_decals.jpg

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JamesP said:

Got the T7 this week. A couple of comments...

The head boxs of the seats appear cut down compared to the donar kits single seat. I'm guessing the canopy thickness has caused this. I've got a bunch of Aeroclub whitemetal  seats and pilots that can contribute to the nose weight...

The T7/8 used a different ejector seat and those provided in the new parts look a good representation of them so no problem there.

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

I have measured the two halves of the original Revell kit and, combined, they are the same size as the T7/T8 kits.  Each half of the single-seat Hunter fin is 0.8mm thick, making the full thickness 1.6mm.  The T7 and T8 one-piece fin measures 1.6mm therefore both kits measure the same.  It must be an optical illusion in the way I have taken the photo's.

Mike

Thank you Mike :thumbsup:  Dare say I'll add at least one to the stash anyway but appreciate you taking the time to measure the parts and reply.