ICM kits any good?

Neil.C

I've seen a few ICM 1/48 scale Spitfires of various marks for sale and wondered if the quality/decals etc  is any good ?

Never heard of them myself and know with the massive amount of personal experience on here I'll be steered right.

Edited by Neil.C

The ICM Spitfire (VII, VIII, IX, XVI) requires a bit of work, and has (or often has) some molding shortcomings, but it makes for a good-shaped late-Merlin Spitfire.  The Eduard kits have surpassed it in detail and finesse, so if you want "the best" go Eduard, but if you want cheap and good, and are willing to do some "old school" modelling, which might include replacing some parts, the ICMs are a fine place to start.  I can't really say on the decals, but aftermarket Spitfire decals are by no means hard to find...

bob

As above the ICM Spitfires are accurate and got rave reviews for the detail they offered in the initial "in the box" reviews.

When people got round to actually trying to build them though they quickly gained a reputation for being quite difficult to put together well. Specifically, whilst the parts all look great they didn't necessarily fit together very well and in some cases that didn't become apparent until quite late in the build - for instance the ICM Spitfire includes an engine and separate cowling panels. Many had trouble getting the engine between the fuselage halves, and those who tried to close up the cowling had difficulty getting the separate cowling panels to fit together over the fuselage frames.

It can be done, but I'd suggest it's the domain of the experienced modeller who's well used to parts-fettling.

I'd suggest getting the Eduard Weekend Edition kit instead, in all honesty. An ICM kit won't have worked out very cheap in the end if, like many did shortly after they first came out, it ends up in the bin.

The newer ICM kits are a different ball game and generally very good as are pretty much all kits now (from a parts fit point of view anyway).

• Like 1

ICM any good??!!  My experience is with more recent ICM 1/72 releases.  I found the Revell (nee ICM) Dornier Do 17Z-10 a very fine kit: fine panel lines, crisply moulded (ie hard plastic, sharp corners actually  sharp and not rounded, no flash), excellent cockpit detail from the box, superbly engineered with excellent, even exemplary, fit.  Sheer modelling pleasure.  I gather it is less accurate and in some respects less detailed than the Airfix Do 17Z but on the other hand I didn't have to spend hours trimming flash and bending warped parts into shape: you pays your money, etc.  I liked it so much I rushed out and got the ICM Fw 189.

Now I think about it, I also have an ICM Tu-2 from the early days: again impressively engineered (if so minded you could have had it standing on its undercarriage before attaching the wings), good surface detail but absolutely covered in what seemed and smelled like lubricating oil.  Still in the box but remembered with affection.

Their more recent 1/72 kits can be downright amazing. I have an I-16 in progress. The thinness and finesse of the parts is excellent, the subtle surface detail is among the best I’ve ever seen, and the amount of internal detail is astonishing (including complete engine bay). The parts count is a little intimidating in the box, but with careful preparation all fits very well. 

I own the Su-2, Po-2, Fw 189, He 70, I-5, I-15, I-153, and Ki-27 kits and they are all of a similar ilk.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

They are do-able if you leave out the engine it solves a lot of the fit issues around the front end. But the other fit issues made me loss my temper and it ended up in the bin and I got an eduard kit, I never buy another ICM spit or Mustang.

• Like 2

Some quite varied feedback here but I must admit Jamie's mention of, "It can be done, but I'd suggest it's the domain of the experienced modeller who's well used to parts-fettling " got me worried as that certainly doesn't describe me! :o

Probably best to stick to more modern kits for now, after the horror of the Novo Tempest I have started an Airfix ME 109 and the difference is like day and night. 

3 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I've seen a few ICM 1/48 scale Spitfires of various marks for sale and wondered if the quality/decals etc  is any good ?

Neil

from having read your posts and introduction,    I'd say 'no'

Given you can often pick up brand new Eduard weekend kits for £12-14  (look up  MJW models or Creative Models weekly specials)

http://mjwmodels.co.uk/eduard-148--kits---weekend-563-c.asp

The general consenus is the decals are thick and matt, and the ICM has enough gliches in both construction and accuracy to make any "savings"  false ones.

By accuracy,  the prop blades are too thick/wrong shape, spiiner too  small,  top of cowling too narrow,  wing cannon bulges too shallow, wheel hubs are poor,   lack correct cockpit  sidewalls.

Sure, from an old  school perspective these are surmountable,  butyou might think a £7 ICM Spit is a bargain,   but once you count your time, and any other costs, like paint into it,   the base price of a kit is often pretty small beer.

The ICM kit is not terrible,  but has been made pretty much obsolete by the Eduard kit.

If  you then go for an Eduard profipack, 

you get photo etch detail, paint masks and multiple decal choices and these  have been about around £20.

eg http://mjwmodels.co.uk/eduard-148--kits---profipack-562-c.asp

9 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

I have started an Airfix ME 109 and the difference is like day and night. 

you posted this as I replied...   modern kits are  totally different proposition,  but they do need to be  done carefully,  as a glitch early on can cause major fit issues later (this is a complint against some new tool Airfix   kits)

One final point, if you say get an Eduard profipack Spitfire,  if you find a really cheap ICM Spit,  you can use leftover parts and decals to jazz up the ICM kit, as  well as using it as guide for  tweaking the ICM if you fancy testing some modelling skills.

The irony is that a lot of right old tat sells for nearly what a all-singing all dancing brand new state of the art kits does....

I note with wry amusement the cost of repops of old Revell and Monogram kits on Creative Models,  the same as the new tools.

Plus you can get bargains,  keep an eye on the bargain thread,  as you get notice of when sos and so is flogging off Airfix kits  cheap.

The trick is research,   and  asking the right questions.    

Scalemates is goodd for untangling what the history of certain kits are,   but as I'm sure you are now aware,  plenty of helpful folks here who will answers questions.

HTH

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

Some quite varied feedback here but I must admit Jamie's mention of, "It can be done, but I'd suggest it's the domain of the experienced modeller who's well used to parts-fettling " got me worried as that certainly doesn't describe me! :o

Yes, I think you were really asking two questions: 1.  Are ICM kits any good?  Answer: it depends but yes, the recent ones are pretty darn good.  And 2.  are ICM 1/48 Spitfires any good?  Answer: no, they aren't actually that bad but simply don't hold a candle to the Eduard kits.

Not that I know anything about 1/48, you understand, but I do know how the Eduard 1/72 Spitfires and Fw 190s leave their Airfix competitors trailing in the dust, if not consigned to the dustbin of history.

• Like 2

Eduard kits are usually fantastic value, but just in case you aren't aware:

Eduard Weekend kits are (usually) the basic kit & Decals.

Eduard Profipack is the same as the weekend, but with photo etch and paint masks.

Eduard Special Edition is the same as the profipack, but sometimes has extra photo etch and resin.

Eduard Royal edition, gives you absolutely everything plus a servant to feed you peeled grapes and help with the complicated bits. :king:

• Haha 2

Hi, Neil and everyone,

As someone remarked, one thing is to ask for the quality of ICM kits in general, and another asking especifically for the Spits.

The answer to the first question is "Depends". On several factors: which kit, and what expectations you have.

The second, today, is "No". They are not good. They have a nearly good shape marred by a couple of gross mistakes. These are:

1) The spine after the cockpit is too "pointy"; the rear window is triangular while it should be an inverted "U" shape;

2) the cowling goes too thin at the firewall, giving a characteristic "wasp" outline;

3) The undercarriage struts are too close to the centre line;

4) the unfiltered carb intake is a V-type;

5) Propeller and spinner are suspect, as are the cannons, bulges, exhausts, seat, all better replaced.

Moreover, they are a pig to build, and injection of individual kits can vary from indistinct to appalling.

You can still work them to an acceptable representation of a late Merlin Spit, and ten years ago would be the best OOTB (or almost) option. But in present times, save yourself from frustration and wasted time and go for the Eduard's. Believe me, unless you are in trouble to feed your children, the difference in money is not worth it.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 3

A comment regarding the Eduard Spitfires. I have built four of the 1/72 Eduard Spitfires and to the extent that it carries over to the 1/48 versions, they are 1)superb and 2)not shake and bake. Everything fits but quite a bit of attention and test fitting is required during assembly

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The trick is research,   and  asking the right questions.    

Scalemates is goodd for untangling what the history of certain kits are,   but as I'm sure you are now aware,  plenty of helpful folks here who will answers questions.

HTH

There certainly are a lot of folk willing to give assistance and share knowledge on here, something I am truly grateful for, and you Troy have been there on most occasions. Thanks.

ICM 1/48 is out of the window then, fortunately Spitfire-wise I have an Airfix newspaper freebie I can be getting on with once the me109 is done.^_^

Go for an Eduard "Weekend" edition, and do yourself a favour. About the same price, and better to work with. ICM Spits are not as bad in terms of details, but are a real nightmare to build, and that said, pray for a good example, as most of them come with warped parts, sink marks, lots of flash and realising grease all over the plastic. On the other hand, they come with nice detail, a complete engine, some gun bay details, acceptable cockpit detail, etc....The decals in my ICM Spits have turned out to be absolutely useless....lots of silvering, fragile to handle, etc...

But IMHO, and as others have said before, not good kits for someone who's trying to get back to the hobby, and still keep from ordering Diazepan at your local chemist....Maybe I'm somehow biased here, but I'd rather spent the money in a pint of Strongbow, than in another ICM Spit or Mustang....about the same price at your local pub....

Best regards...

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

Only built the ICM P-51B, went together OKish but needed some "persuasion" along the way.

Decals were hopeless - Had to chase 15 separate kill markings around the bowl...

On the other hand, slightly OT, their 1/48 & 1/35 figures are great.

Many moons ago I built the ICM 1/48 low back Spitfire MkXVI - I had no real problems with it that normal skills couldn't solve. I did however leave the engine out as reviews suggested that there might be problems incurred with nose fit if I included it. In any case I didn't want a visible engine so that wasn't an issue. Despite some complaints from others about the decals I also had no problems with them (I suspect the decal criticism was because they are quite matte and look fragile, but on application they were quite strong) . All in all a good kit and it filled what was then a big gap in the Spitfire kit range.

I have built other ICM kit's in various scales and while they do have high part counts I have found them to be both excellent value and representations of the subject matter. I recall that when their 1/48 P51B/C was released (one of their earliest) there were claims that it was a clone of the Tamiya, which given the similarities of some of the parts break down could be true, however the P51 is an aircraft that is going to encourage similar approaches to the parts break down anyway. 

Personally I'd recommend ICM kits to anyone - their subject matter and the detail is really quite good.    

Can't add much on the ICM Spitfires, as IMHO the comments above describe well these kits

I'd like to add though that other ICM kits are very nice, the surface detail on some is absolutely incredible. I'm not sure I'd recommend them to a beginner, they don't tend to be the easiest builds. With care they can result in great models.

I would also agree that the Eduard Spitfire IX is the one to choose. Unless you're only looking for a very easy build, in this case the Hasegawa Mk.IX is still a good choice, as long as you don't care about the inaccurate shapes

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Always get a good response to my many questions on kit building which is why this place is so great.

I'll put up some pics of the Tempest  when I get the decals for it and also the ME109 although I had a bit of a mishap yesterday when some liquid poly poured all over the underside of the port wing! :o

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil.C said:

Thanks all.

Always get a good response to my many questions on kit building which is why this place is so great.

You most certainly do! :yes:

5 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I'll put up some pics of the Tempest  when I get the decals for it and also the ME109 although I had a bit of a mishap yesterday when some liquid poly poured all over the underside of the port wing! :o

Hehe.....we've all (well certainly me more than once) done it.  In fact I'm sure there are a few gluey prints on (mostly) hidden parts of a couple of kits i've done.....

• Like 2

Can't really add much though I would not be as harsh as some on the ICM Spits. Before Eduard's new tools came along, the ICM Spit IXs (and the VIII offshoot) led the pack in accuracy, though they weren't perfect, and offered great value for money. Fit issues? Sure but nothing terrifying. Lots of detail and plenty of parts for the spares box. The decals are garbage and even repelled SolvaSet but I tend to go with aftermarket anyway. 

Yes, Eduard's now tools are better but if I saw an ICM Spit for 10 bucks at a swap, I'd snap it up. Still have my low-back XVI in the stash too.

My ICM Spit IX:

110108-8-oclock-jpg.156564

Andy

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 5

For the price you can find the ICM Spits for with a little hunting, they're still well worth acquiring if you source the decals elsewhere. They show up on eBay and discount sites really cheap.

Their 1/48 merlin Mustangs are also pretty decent, being clones of Tamiya's kits. Avoid their Allison Mustangs though, they just fit an Allison nose to their B model, and it's all sorts of weird looking as a result.