Sidney Cotton and Camotint

melvyn hiscock

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any good research leads or sources of info that could identify the colour. Cotton painted the Lockheed in Camotint and photographs of this are also sought.

I have seen 'pale duck egg green' mentioned and also 'mint'.

Thanks

Hi Melvyn

AFAIK the recieved wisdom on this is camotint colour was the basis for MAP Sky,   which is reasonable match to either of these  verbal descriptions

5 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

'pale duck egg green' mentioned and also 'mint'.

RAF Museum colur chips below.

bstablegb_1.JPG

Not seen @Nick Millman  posting recently,  but I think he knew more about it.

Sorry,  not the best answer,  but it's late and might winkle out some better information.

I was looking for a Blenhiem pic in Camotint

...ah here

Bristol Blenheim Mk IV P4899 of the Photographic Development Unit, commanded by Wing Commander Sidney Cotton, at Lille-Seclin, France, 1940.

large.jpg

some more info in the thread

but these popped up as well,  with reference too Camotint

HTH a bit

T

• Like 3

Which Lockheed? There were three 12As used IIRC, initially the project was an MI6 collaboration with the French Deuxieme Bureau. You're probably after G-AFTL, which was one of the schemes used by Special Hobby for their 1/72 Lockheed 12A. I'm not sure there is any evidence for their choice of dark grey lightning bolts though.

I have several photos of G-AFTL somewhere, but you can find the most-seen image here:

http://www.davidtearle.com/28401.html

Later (after war was declared?), it carried roundels on the rear fuselage, and the civilian codes were over-painted.

This is my model of it:

Lockheed-12A-finished.jpg

There was also G-AGAR, a Hudson loosely disguised as a Lockheed 14.

And as others have pointed out, Camotint was adopted by the RAF and became Sky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

AFAIK the recieved wisdom on this is camotint colour was the basis for MAP Sky,   which is reasonable match to either of these  verbal descriptions

Hi Troy,

It's not unlikely that Sky and Camotint were effectively the same colour, perhaps not to the same specifications but at least colour. The AM sent a missive to Bristol called "Camotint - Specifications for" on the 20th April 1940, inside it it said, "As regards colour, the pale blue-green which has been called Camotint is now defined as Standard Sky and this description should be given in your schedule." Paul Lucas goes into some detail in Chapter 3 of his BoB colours book and also says that "Sky was the name given by the RAE to the 'duck egg green' colour known at Heston as Camotint.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've never heard of G-AFTL being PRU Blue during the No.2CU/PDU/PRU periods. It was severely damaged by an aerial mine shortly before the PRU moved to Benson, and the wreck was returned to the USA and rebuilt.

• Julien locked this topic