Napier Railton

16 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Thanks for your interest Martin. You are correct in your assumption, Sir...it is the Lion type E89 series X1A . 564 HP at 3,000 rpm and 1,184lb ft torque!  A pure beast of an engine!

Thank you for your contribution, Roy!

Cheers, H

I've seen the car announced at Goodwood FoS as being 'Sea Lion' powered: I assumed this was a flying boat engine?

• 9 months later...
On 1/23/2018 at 8:13 PM, harveyb258 said:

Hi chaps! 

At the moment I'm working on the Fiat 806, as I'm sure most of you know!

Was browsing on the net the other day and came across the 24l Napier Railton again from '33. What a f****** beast!!! Absolutely gorgeous she is.... well before her time , as I'm sure, most will agree. I think it's almost steampunk in it's design and am totally intrigued by it! This WILL be my next project (full-scratch, of course!.....!)1/8 scale this time, as well!  Have spoke to the curator of Brooklands museum, who now own it and apparently, no blueprints exist, but, we having a natter tomorrow. He seems quite interested in the project, too! This is a record-breaker and a thoroughly stunning-looking motor, so, my plea goes out to you all.....please donate any ref. that you may have! ! This car deserves modelling! 

Cheers, H

Hi Harvey, this is one of my favourite cars too. It is something I intend modelling in the future. I have collected quite a few photos and info which may be of use but the zipped file is 44mb. You are most welcome to this but I am not sure how to get it to you. I'm sure you have found quite a lot of info but I always think you can't have enough. If you want I can upload this and then send a link (or post on here) to the file.

Cheers,

Stu

• Thanks 1

There is also this nice little publication. I got mine on eBay for around £2.50 some time ago.

IMG

Cheers,

Stu

Edited by Stu238
Image was cropped
  • Like 3

• 4 years later...

Chanced on this thread a few years down the line whilst looking up the NR racing car. You may well have built your model by now Harvey!

I did a smaller scale scratch build of it in 1/18th scale. Some pictures are within the Model Cars Magazine Forum's website. Look under the thread 'Let's see some scratch built things'

You may well be interested in looking at John Haddock's build on his website JRH models. He was building 2 models of the car in 1/8th scale, one for himself and one as a commission. John could not get over from America to Brooklands to get hands on with the car as covid had broken out at the time so I sent him all my reference photos that I took at Brooklands some time before when I was researching it for my model. John's commissioned model will be going on permanent display in the Napier Room in the new Peninsula Hotel about to open in central London. The hotel is being built with one of its restaurants Brooklands themed.

Edited by Noel Smith

• 7 months later...