Roly's 10th Anniversary VC10(s?)

1 hour ago, Fatcawthorne said:

They're the RAM Models RAM72-006 set and as if by magic, a link to their site appears!

http://www.rammodels.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=nimrod&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0

Aha, the R1 out of service scheme; I thought I’d missed something for the MR2.

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of progress on my ‘Queen of the Skies’ with the tailplane and engines in place.  For scale, the tailplane was often described as having a Hunter’s wings on your tail.  

Have to say that I have been very impressed by the general fit of the parts between fuselage/tail and engines/tailplane; hardly any filler required.

40107664072_346d0f2681_b.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

tailplane and engines in place

The Beaver tails on 99% of Supers had pointed/conical Beavers. The only two that didn't were G-ASGB and 'SGC at Duxford. Possibly 'SGN that was blown up at Dawson's Field..Have a look at this piece of ART, just forget the 4 reversers EAA Supers only ever had 2. No connection with this ebay sale BTW...I already bought this and 3 other similar VC10 prints/ads.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-East-African-Airways-Super-VC-10-plane-Shell-Oil-aviation-vintage-print-ad-/362231905161?hash=item5456b43b89

• 2 weeks later...

So finally having got a bit of spare time back I thought I should crack on. Cockpit canopy fitted, masked and painted which annoyingly reveals a little filling required

39470346485_03d40da109_b.jpg

Then I decided to look at doing the K3 variant of my build and found that I had the detail sets all along!! Could have saved a little time on the cockpit area

40367661951_5b50bfcb63_b.jpg

Now I see the Hawker GB has also started and I signed up to that as well! Second VC10 or first Hawker in a while???

• Like 4

Cockpit fuselage join fixed, ok-ish.  Next challenge - given the size and design of the fuselage cheatline markings is whether to place them before attaching the engine pods, or try and conduct some surgery and put them on in a more traditional manner at the end of the build.

40433165811_6597f52f88_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2018 at 8:11 AM, Black Knight said:

How are you getting on with this?

We're not far off the half-way point in the GB

Slowly BK; too slowly. Work has been manic and I’ve been away from home quite a lot. There has been a bit of progress, just not had a chance to provide an update.

A little bit of progress this evening, decided to add the markings now. Unfortunately whilst removing the window masks I accidentally knocked in the glazing units, so forward makings only tonight to allow the Krystal Klear to dry in the rear windows. Shame really, it was the rear section of decals I wanted to get done tonight so I could start final assembly! 

40103424164_81944d9764_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally starting to look like “the Queen of the Skies”.  Very slow progress due to work commitments and training for a walk up a small mountain in Africa, but every little helps!!

40350488805_83c8c3bd6a_b.jpg

Not sure I will get time to finish her in her guise as a K3 though!!

• Like 3

At last she stands on her own undercarriage. It took some time for me to get the hang of the tiny parts, with my fat fingers and tired eyes, but I have to say that the undercarriage is a good representation of the real thing (even though there is quite a bit of cleaning up to be done) and Roden have captured the nose down stance quite well.

40637645544_5c632c80e3_b.jpg

26480289387_04b9d8beb8_b.jpg

Now just the doors, aerials and a coat of gloss varnish to go.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...