Novo Gloster Javelin FAW.9

It's probably a bit late to bring this up but the fin/rudder on the Novo (Frog) kit is way too thin in cross section, as the first photo here illustrates. It would have been reasonably easy to fix except that, infuriatingly, Frog chose to mould it as a single piece. Still, from most viewing angles it's not that noticeable.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Duncan B said:

As Colin said Whirlbirds do a conversion for the earlier pen nib fairing of the FAW1-6 and the unique fairing for the FAW7 but no-one does a replacement for the Airfix FAW9 (the common fix is to use the FROG/Novo back end, ironically).

The Maintrack/Whirlybirds pen-nib conv. appeared to be a remould of the Heller part, unfortunately including the rather distinct sink marks when I looked at one at SMW a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesP said:

The Maintrack/Whirlybirds pen-nib conv. appeared to be a remould of the Heller part, unfortunately including the rather distinct sink marks when I looked at one at SMW a couple of years ago.

You are right, I have one stuck onto the back end of an Airfix FAW9 in an attempt to make an FAW5 somewhere in the 'unfinished' pile.

Duncan B

Nice 

The Novo is a repop of the Frog Kit, and was manufactured in the four years following Frog's demise in 1976.

I recently had copies of both the Frog and Novo kits in my hands for examination - compared to the Frog original, which was well moulded and flash free, the Novo was covered in flash and, curiously, weighed about 10% more.

Someone was selling a resin replacement nose for the Frog/Novo kits at Telford last year, as the one provided is a bit 'blunt'

9 minutes ago, Hepster said:

The Novo is a repop of the Frog Kit, and was manufactured in the four years following Frog's demise in 19

See post #4 relating to history of kit

10 minutes ago, Hepster said:

I recently had copies of both the Frog and Novo kits in my hands for examination - compared to the Frog original, which was well moulded and flash free, the Novo was covered in flash and, curiously, weighed about 10% more.

see post #7 for picture of flash

11 minutes ago, Hepster said:

Someone was selling a resin replacement nose for the Frog/Novo kits at Telford last year, as the one provided is a bit 'blunt'

see post #16 for information of new nose from manufacturer on this site

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hepster said:

Nice 

The Novo is a repop of the Frog Kit, and was manufactured in the four years following Frog's demise in 1976.

er...  see post #16 earlier... https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/military-products/military-aircraft-conversions/freightdog-1-72-gloster-javelin-faw-9-9r-nose-correction.html 

I have one - it's a great fit / improvement.

Rich

53 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice job m'Lud. I was going to ask you about the fit, but oh erm looking at the wings, nuff said. How's it for accuracy? It would appear to be the only show in town for a 1/72 Javelin.

Thanks! 

Yes, the wing fit is poor, in fact the first round of filling wasn't quite enough, it sank into the gap at the front so I've had to add more filler.

122yhar.jpg

However, Airfix do (did?) a 1/72 Javelin too, which occasionally comes up on eBay, I have one in the stash. There's also Mistercraft kits on eBay for the FAW.7, but I haven't made one so I'm not sure how good those are, but again eBay has a few for under £10.

I think this Novo kit will look ok, it just needs a bit of prep and care to bring it up to a reasonable standard. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RichG said:

I've sanded mine to give it more of a point, hopefully it'll look ok. 

Second coat of high speed silver sprayed on. I'm determined to get a sharp demarcation line, plus it needed tidying up a bit after handling while painting the green. 

2chtbvt.jpg

The Javelin is slowly coming together. It seems to need constant touching up as there's a lot of different colours juxtaposed in quite tight places. The thin wing tips and lack of any leading edge camo wrapping underneath made it surprisingly difficult to get a perfect line.

I need to touch up the wing tips a bit and the off-white inside the intake rims where some of the external rim black paint has encroached. Overall I'm reasonably pleased so far though.

15p1m5v.jpg

• Like 1

Almost at the stage now where I'm choosing the decals. It looks as though the original Novo ones will crack on soaking, there are cracks already visible on the decal sheet. 

I may use the 64 sqn ones from my Airfix Javelin, unless anyone knows of a good aftermarket Javelin decal sheet? Or has any spares they'd donate!? 

Almost ready for decals. I haven't glued the tailplane on yet as I think it'll be easier to apply tailfin markings without it. 

The underwing tanks fit so well on the pylons they didn't need glue!

2zs2pgh.jpg

2ef2iw8.jpg

21llbmh.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Riot,, I just picked up a Frog Javelin in a bag, while I was at a show.

Is it the same mould as this?

I haven't had a chance to read this yet, I just searched Javelin, and it found this.

I been fancying One for some time!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Riot,, I just picked up a Frog Javelin in a bag, while I was at a show.

Is it the same mould as this?

I haven't had a chance to read this yet, I just searched Javelin, and it found this.

I been fancying One for some time!

Hi Rob

Yes I believe the Novo one is the same mould as the Frog (I think!)

With a little extra time it does build into a nice model, even the old decals were still decent (though there are no decals for stencils, etc like the Airfix Javelin has).

• Like 1