Need help with Stuka info ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello if anyone can point me in a direction or have photo’s of JU-87’s from any Nachtschlachtgruppen . Im trying to gather info together for a build in may? I want to confirm what type of crosses & swastika’s were worn for the night harassment stuka’s ? Also am trying to confirm if they wore Black or very Dark grey on the upper & lower surfaces ? Would a coat of RLM74 or RLM75 over the upper & lower surface colors of RLM 70,71,& 76 in either a complete coverage or in some form of night fighter pattern also be possible ? Any help is greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I don't know about NSGr8 in particular, but for these aircraft in general Nick Beale is your man.  He has published a book specifically about the operation of NSGr9 in Italy  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Bombers-Moonlight-Luftwaffe-Operations/dp/1903223156/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1516646280&sr=1-6&keywords=nick+beale and has his own blog on Luftwaffe subjects, including NSGr aircraft.

I would presume they wore black undersides, but for modelling purposes I believe that they would look more realistic if you used a very dark grey anyway.

• Thanks 1

I was going to paint the standard Stuka scheme. Then the plan is to decal and overspray the upper surfaces in a very dark grey, either in bands or a nightfighter pattern. Reversing that i would probably go with a semi-opaque dark grey over the bottom blue/grey so the crosses were visible. Im thinking just very thin white crosses on the upper wings. White crosses and swastika for the vertical surfaces but partially covered over with mottle. Then heres where i get confused? Ive seen standard or white crosses for the lower wings, and even no markings for the lowers ? This is what im trying to determine mostly. Thanks again for the help.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Because pure black looks too stark on models.

Indeed - that's why the MiG Jiminez Washable Black is more of a very dark charcoal grey.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Two questions.

1.  Why are you going to overspray the  upper-surface?  Is there evidence  that this was done?

1. Yes plenty of photographic evidence of the Ju87s of NSG 9 with a meander type camouflage of maybe RLM79 over the standard 70/71 some even had the under surfaces camouflaged the same way. I can find no photos in Ghost Bombers of any having black under surfaces though.

Tim.

CFFU,

In the Classic Publications Luftwaffe Colors series, Stuka, vol. 2, I am paraphrasing from the section on the Nachtschlachtgruppen, which described changes made to 300 Ju-87D-1/3/5 and Ju-87G-1's;

FuG 101 radio altimeter added; FuG 16Z VHF T/R with rear aerial added; gun sight replaced with a Revi C12N or 16DN; flash suppressors fitted to MG 81Z gun; cockpit darkened (not sure what that means!) and UV lighting installed; front-facing and rotating DF loop replaced the fixed one and was mounted on a shelf on the antenna mast; dive brakes removed, Jumo 211P engine fitted, and flame damper exhausts and suppressors for the MG151's were fitted; repainted with a new lacquer finish (not sure what is meant by that, either!)

The color profiles and descriptions show what looks like two different color schemes; one being the standard 70/71/65 scheme, and the other being 70/71 overpainted with a squiggle pattern of a tan/brown (RLM79?) on the upper surfaces and chordwise irregular bands of a dark grey (RLM74/75?) on the wing undersurfaces over the existing RLM65.

Wow- never noticed this scheme before until I found it while looking for answers to your questions. This book  series is very highly regarded, but I'm not an expert regarding Axis aircraft colors and markings, so don't hold me to the above, but it should get you started....safe to assume no Corsairs were in this scheme, my friend- ha!

Mike

Whoops- almost forgot! The color profiles and photos all show the simplified white outline  swastika on the fin, large black crosses with white outlines and thin  black borders under the wings, and simplified white outline  crosses on the fuselage and upper wings for all of the 'night' Stukas.

Edited by 72modeler
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

2.  Are these washable paints cheaper than the conventional kind?  If not, why use them where a conventional paint would do?

I find it makes for a more realistic representation of distemper.

Here's a video tutorisl of Mig's similar washable white winter distemper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzLJ_13AOFo

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Thanks to All that offered help.

I will have to definitely look at the washable colors as i do want to eventually do a white-washed stuka as well. 

@72modeler ... Thanks Mike you Gave me a lot of good info in your post. I think i have that profile in my collected photos from google. Yes i agree the most colorful corsairs were probably used in the Soccer war in 1969 ? 

@tank152 ... thanks for that link thats close to what im looking for.

Hi Denis, I have had a quick look through ghost bombers moonlight war of nsg9 and most ju 87s have rlm 65 lower and rlm 70,71 upper with light mottle or wave como flagged over the 70,71. The lower photo the tail marking is white outline only. Hope his helps. Nick

2018-01-28_09-21-30

2018-01-28_09-21-44

• Thanks 1