How to fill plastic gaps?

Getunderit

A lot of the figure makers use Magic Sculp or Sculpey(sp?) putty, but you could also use Milliput, as all those can be tooled with a dampened sculpting tool or blade.  I'd be wary of using solvent-based putties on such small and delicate things as figures, as you could end up with some melted plastic. :owww:

• Thanks 1

Are these hard or soft plastic?

Mikes suggestions work for hard plastic but can be problematic for soft plastic as they set hard and don't stick to the plastic well. The traditional filler for soft plastic figures was plasticine hardened with banana oil.

• Thanks 1

For a gap filler; mix some waste plastic into polystyrene glue. Use a small bottle, half fill with liquid glue and add pieces of plastic. Keep adding as the first pieces dissolve. Eventually you'll get a plastic goo. We call that 'plastic soup'.

It can be used for gap filling, or painting onto a surface like glass to make thin sheets of plastic or shapes. You can make the 'soup' thin or thick. The more glue you have in it, ie; its thin and runny, the longer time it'll take to harden. Thicker soup sets quicker.

I use it as a gap filler glue on old kit joints which aren't perfect. Being plastic and glue it melds with similar plastic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kneadtite green is my material of choice. The trick isn't to fill and sand, but rather to add the filler then sculpt it to match folds in the cloth etc. This works well on hard plastic, resin or metal, with dressmaking pins as a source of pinning wire if the change is dramatic. Don't know about soft polyolefin figures, sorry.

M

• Like 1

That ‘Perfect plastic putty’ by Deluxe Materials is handy for awkward gaps. You can use water to thin it down even further if needed and apply with a small brush, and a damp cotton but to clean up afterwards. If the gap is very small I’ve had some success just using acrylic matt varnish and allowing it to run into the gap, allow to dry and repeat if needed. Ordinary acrylic paint can be used in much the same way.

Mart

If you use Milliput, it can be worked soft with a little water - this means you can fill the gaps, and clean up BEFORE the resin sets - saving a lot of clean up after.

Seeing Mart's description of 'Perfect Plastic Putty', that reads very like Milliput, use much as he describes for the other material.  So far as I can tell, the main difference is that PPP is a one part material, while Milliput is a two part epoxy.

Personally, I find plastelines (sic) like Sculpy (or Super Sculpy) and Monster Clay too hard, that is a matter of personal preference.

• 1 month later...
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, Getunderit said:

Have been manipulating a few 1/72 plastic figurines. Example, I amputate an arm and then relocated it to make another gesture.

However there are gaps at the point of fixture. What can I use as a gap filler?

I've seen some people shave slithers of plastic off the sprue to fit the gap. They then use ultra thin glue (or similar) to melt it, plug the gap then sand it. Not tried it myself, but they seem to get good results.

Super glue can be quite good for thin gaps in figures as capillary action draws it into the crack and surface tension tend to leave it a good shape afterwards.

Don't use sculpey with plastics as that needs to be baked, but any of the two part epoxies are good. Milliput tapers very nicely with water which is good as it sets rock hard. No fun to sand!

Sculpey is awesome for sculpting from scratch though - much nicer to work with than the epoxies.

Will

Milliput is my first choice for modifying 1/72 figures.....I like to let it cure a little (to the point it becomes slightly stiff) before sculpting it with a selection of cocktail sticks cut and sanded into various shapes.  I always wet these improvised tools before use.  I do have a couple of sets of wax-carvers and so on, but I find my improvised tools easier to use.

• 4 months later...

No votes for green stuff? 😃

Edit- just realised Mitch ninja'd me!

Lots of options here, Getunderit, if you don't already have some. I like green stuff, I think it has a nicer texture than Milliput (they're very similar products). https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product-category/modelling-materials/modelling-materials-modelling-materials/page/2/

Vallejo sell a liquid gap filler which does the trick with Citadel and Airfix kit plastic. It shrinks a little as it hardens and I've never used it on soft plastic figures, so I'm not sure how well it'll work, but it's great for general use. Meaning you wouldn't be wasting money on it, even if it doesn't help with the little guys! https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product-category/vallejo-products/vallejo-products-vallejo-auxiliary-products/

(Gratuitous plug- Sean at SnM is a great bloke to buy from. Once held back on dispatching an expensive boxed set to me when he realised the packaging was damaged. How many on line retailers would even notice, much less care?)

Edited by oileanach
ninjas!
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, oileanach said:

No votes for green stuff? 😃

Edit- just realised Mitch ninja'd me!

Lots of options here, Getunderit, if you don't already have some. I like green stuff, I think it has a nicer texture than Milliput (they're very similar products). https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product-category/modelling-materials/modelling-materials-modelling-materials/page/2/

Vallejo sell a liquid gap filler which does the trick with Citadel and Airfix kit plastic. It shrinks a little as it hardens and I've never used it on soft plastic figures, so I'm not sure how well it'll work, but it's great for general use. Meaning you wouldn't be wasting money on it, even if it doesn't help with the little guys! https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product-category/vallejo-products/vallejo-products-vallejo-auxiliary-products/

(Gratuitous plug- Sean at SnM is a great bloke to buy from. Once held back on dispatching an expensive boxed set to me when he realised the packaging was damaged. How many on line retailers would even notice, much less care?)

Totally agreed. Sean has gone over and above with the service he's provided to me. There's no if, but, maybe, perhaps, with him either. A pleasure to deal with.

I've always had great service from Historex Agents and El Greco Miniatures as well.

• Like 1