Raf vallejo colours (hurricane)

craigmason1971

2 hours ago, craigmason1971 said:

before i buy wrong paint can i make sure i have correct ones 71323-dark earth 71326-dark green 71302-sky type s i am using a "hairy stick" to do painting 

If you want mid 1940 to august 1941 these are the right colours,   see here for more

http://boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

though how good Vallejo's matches are I don't know.  

I found matches for Dark Green and Dark Earth  compared to the RAF museum book paint chips, Dark Earth is 'English Uniform'  can't remember which green, as away from my paint.

I have a set of 'Allied ww2' paint that I got at a reduced price that looked to have useful range of colours,  I bushed out samples and compared them to the chips, which is how I found the matches.

Don't know how good a match they are, but can say this is Vallejo's second try at these colours .  Most of their aircraft paints have new product code numbers compared to the first release.  Also, the MODEL AIR brand is designed for airbrush use, so we'll also need input on how well these brush paint.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why stick to Vallejo?  I've not found acrylic paints particularly good for brush painting, though I gather others will differ on this point.  If you go to enamels, you can find exact matches from Xtracolour and Colourcoats, with very close matches from Humbrol.

Following JackG's comment, these are paints from the ModelAir series and personally I'm not sure they would work well if you use a brush.

These paints are more heavily thinned than the standard series, work very well with an airbrush but may well be too thin if applied by brush. Not that they can't be used this way, however you'll end up using way more coats than if using the standard paints. Is this a problem ? It can be...

Dark colours kind of work, I've used a brush to touch up areas I had painted using a couple of Model Air dark greens and with 2-3 coats I managed to build the colour Ok. Lighter colours are another story, when I had to do the same using a light brown I gave up and loaded the airbrush. The dark green and dark earth you need may be dark enough, but the Sky may be a problem.

Based on my experience, I would not really use Vallejo Air paints for brush painting, with a few exceptions. One exception is the reproduction of all those effects where a heavily thinned paint is necessary. Another exception is using metallics, Vallejo Air metallics can be used with a brush with very good results

The Vallejo Model Color range is a different story as these paints are specific for brushing. They don't have specific RAF colours though, I use their Olive Grey for RAF Dark Green and Troy's suggestion for RAF Dark Earth may be a good one, don't know about the Sky.

If you can find them locally and you want to use acrylics, I'd go with Xtracrylics, I've brush painted their sky and goes on the model very nicely

I have been doing a lot of research into this for the correct colour scheme for 1940's and found a modeller that had analysed the correct colour scheme for Vallejo colours based on original paint chips from the aircraft.  These are Vallejo Air paints:

Vallejo Model Air - Camouflage Pale Brown (17 ml) - 71035

Vallejo Model Air - IJN Deep Dark Green (17 ml) - 71310

Vallejo Model Air - Grey Blue RLM84 (17 ml) - 71103

There is also a conversion chart to the Vallejo range for brushing as well

31 minutes ago, NLCNLY said:

and found a modeller that had analysed the correct colour scheme for Vallejo colours based on original paint chips from the aircraft. 

who is this?

Original paint can shift in colour,  so a vintage chip cannot always be relied on,   but RAF colours are well documented in general,  there was RAF colour chart to be found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two

bstablegb_1.JPG

this is what I used as a reference.