IJN Kaga aircraft carrier 1/700

Dear Colleagues

After 3 years work off and on I finally finished the beast.  You are looking at the 1/700 Fujimi kit of Kaga from late 1941 with Fujimi’s own PE and wood planking extra.  Then it is dressed with Veteran models 12.7 cm AA guns, Lion Roar 25 mm AA guns, davits, Nanodread  life boats and searchlights, Rainbow launches (I could go on).  The sponson supports are largely scratch built.  I am particularly proud of the Zeros waiting to take off.  Rather than use decals these were spray painted using my own home-made masks.

qBLFAbx.jpg

HSFy5RE.jpg

rZJPEbj.jpg

vSGtwIR.jpg

Zui9zZ9.jpg

She was originally designed to be a battleship but following the limits of the Washington Treaty was converted to an aircraft carrier in 1933 initially with 2 flying off decks but this was then changed to having two enclosed hanger decks in 1935.  In line with the doctrine of the time she retained a battery of 8" guns for self defence.  With Akagi she formed the 1st Carrier Division which struck at Pearl Harbour.  She was sunk at Midway in 1942.

Hope you like it?

Andrew

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys

It's funny, but after you work in 1/700 for a while your mind-set and eyes do to a certain extent adapt.  Main thing is to not be in a hurry otherwise things can go disastrously wrong in a hurry!

Hope you are enjoying that warm Pacific sun?

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Superb finish for a 1/700 scale build. Looking at this complex structure, it must have been top heavy by heavy sea state.

I can understand very well, these kind of models take "a little bit" longer to  complete.

Regards, Orion.

Lovely job Andrew, nice job on the Zero's cockpit frames...must agree, you do tend to adapt to the scale particularly when it comes to PE and rigging. 1/700th is my favourite scale for maritime subjects and very satisfying to complete, (plus they're space savers which helps when it comes to shows).

• 7 months later...