RAF Britannia C1 XM496 'Regulus'.

RAF Britannia C1 XM496 'Regulus'

26 Models kit, 1/144.

b1.jpg

The bus is an Oxford diecasts 'N' gauge model.

Since seeing Ian Turbofan's  and Dave Skoadriver's lovely Roden Britannias, I thought I must get one. Well here we are!

This is from Ray at 26 decals, who sells several versions of the Roden kit with various option of his own decal sheets, all a bargain price. Rather than a civvy scheme I opted for this RAF version as I have happy memories  of seeing them at Brize Norton in the 70's on several trips with the Air Cadets. As Ian and Dave pointed out, the kit is a real beauty, one of the best airliner kits available.

I chose XM496 simply because it is the only genuine RAF Britannia still in existence. the only mods I made were to add a small teardrop blister on the underside between the wings. I struggled to find references, and just 'eyeballed' it from photos cutting up a 1/72 bomb to make the shape.. It meant that the underside 'towel rail' aerials were relocated to the top, again located according to photos.

b3.jpg

b2.jpg

b4.jpg

b7.jpg

b5.jpg

The underside 'teardrop';

b6.jpg

I also opened up the cockpit area and scratched up some basic detail, as I was masking the cockpit glazing to leave it clear. The windows are so tiny, that I might not bother to do it again.

b9.jpg

So what next?

I've got this lined up. Airfix VC10 with Braz Super VC10 conversion. Some guidance would be appreciated here, I think all I need is the leading edge extensions and engines/pylons, & some wing fences. The RAF VC10's were standard fuselages with these other 'Super' fittings right?

b8.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Viking said:

So what next?

I've got this lined up. Airfix VC10 with Braz Super VC10 conversion. Some guidance would be appreciated here, I think all I need is the leading edge extensions and engines/pylons, & some wing fences. The RAF VC10's were standard fuselages with these other 'Super' fittings right?

Lovely job on the Britannia John, I do like the crew bus, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of them, pretty sure BEA and BOAC used the same or similar.

Re the VC10, the RAF operated most flavours; do you have a particular aircraft in mind?

• Thanks 1

Whoop,whoop....Great job,love it. These used  to sit outside the crewroom running up on Pan Delta, couldn't hear anything with the windows open or shut and fumes ? The T/plane used get black,think we had a painted black strip but I might be mixing it up with something else.

Its very good, well done ! Mate of mine is a wheel in the XM496 restoration team at Kemble. Good luck with that Airfix 'Ten BTW.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, comments much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Lovely job on the Britannia John, I do like the crew bus, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of them, pretty sure BEA and BOAC used the same or similar.

Re the VC10, the RAF operated most flavours; do you have a particular aircraft in mind?

Dave The Commer Commando bus is available on RAF, BOAC, & BEA in N Gauge,  and if 1:76 scale is ok for you with 1:72 models, they do RAF, BEA, South African, Australian National, and Skyways. (A Heller Connie in Skyways would be nice with the bus! )

As regards the VC10, in the Air Cadets in 1974 I had a 4 hour trip from Brize on XV106, so that'll be the one I want to do. Happy memories, c3 hours cruising around with about another hour of circuits & bumps back at Brize. Air Cadets allowed turns in the cockpit to observe. Great days!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

XV106

C/N 836 Vickers Type 1106  RAF C.Mk1

First Flight 17/11/67 Delivered 1/12/67

Served with 10 Sqn, named Thomas Mottershead VC

To Hurn 6/10/93 for Tanker conversion to Vickers Type 1180 RAF C.Mk1K

Second First Flight 4/5/94, served with 10 Sqn until they disbanded 14/10/05, then to to 101 Sqn.

Ferried to Bruntingthorpe 7/11/12 for GJD Services Ltd

Modelling

Standard Fuselage as per Airfix kit

Freight door into main cabin, port forward. 26 Decal sheet should give outline and position, note 2 windows were lost where the edges of the door passed through where they used to be.

Super wings with 4% leading edge extension as per Bra.Z parts you have.

Big wing fence inboard missing on the kit, loose the shallow outboard fence.

Conway RCo.43D Engines as per the Bra.Z parts you have.

And you have decals, looks like you're good to go!

Anyone contemplating this who hasn't got the Bra.Z bits might want to consider a Roden Super as a starting point. The forward fuselage shortening is straightforward, but loosing the length aft of the wing is a little more complicated but still do-able. Wings and Engines as per kit. For a C.Mk1 use a passenger kit as a base, for a C.Mk1K use a tanker kit (note the C.Mk1K didn't have the fuselage refuelling station, only the 2 wing pods).

For further refs may I suggest you try a little VC10derness as well as your favourite airliner photo sites?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

XV106

C/N 836 Vickers Type 1106  RAF C.Mk1

First Flight 17/11/67 Delivered 1/12/67

Served with 10 Sqn, named Thomas Mottershead VC

To Hurn 6/10/93 for Tanker conversion to Vickers Type 1180 RAF C.Mk1K

Second First Flight 4/5/94, served with 10 Sqn until they disbanded 14/10/05, then to to 101 Sqn.

Ferried to Bruntingthorpe 7/11/12 for GJD Services Ltd

Modelling

Standard Fuselage as per Airfix kit

Freight door into main cabin, port forward. 26 Decal sheet should give outline and position, note 2 windows were lost where the edges of the door passed through where they used to be.

Super wings with 4% leading edge extension as per Bra.Z parts you have.

Big wing fence inboard missing on the kit, loose the shallow outboard fence.

Conway RCo.43D Engines as per the Bra.Z parts you have.

And you have decals, looks like you're good to go!

Anyone contemplating this who hasn't got the Bra.Z bits might want to consider a Roden Super as a starting point. The forward fuselage shortening is straightforward, but loosing the length aft of the wing is a little more complicated but still do-able. Wings and Engines as per kit. For a C.Mk1 use a passenger kit as a base, for a C.Mk1K use a tanker kit (note the C.Mk1K didn't have the fuselage refuelling station, only the 2 wing pods).

For further refs may I suggest you try a little VC10derness as well as your favourite airliner photo sites?

Brilliant! Thanks Dave :thumbsup:

Looks like the project is on!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I was only thinking this morning that we haven't seen anything new from you for a while and lo and behold a superb Britannia appears!

Great job as always John. Isn't it a lovely kit...... apart from those prop spinners!

Very smart livery too, looking forward to seeing it displayed next to your upcoming VC10.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Nice one John.

I must say it looks great now that the weathering is done. It looks even better in the flesh but I'm lucky in that I get to see these both during an after completion.

Certainly looking forward to the VC-10 as well.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Extremely handsome finish on that Brit. Very impressive and I love the subtle exhaust staining on the tail plane. Beautiful stuff. I’ve been mulling one of the 26 Decals kits for a while - I’m inspired to take the plunge (but hold no realistic expectation mine will look anything like as good as yours). 

Very nice sir. 

• Thanks 1

Smashing Brit and thank you for sharing it with us. That fairing under the belly was if I remember correctly for the Green Satin nav aid. It is very difficult to find good pictures of it and my recollection of it is that it was about the size you have but flat bottomed and with the anti collision light at its rear end.

• Thanks 1

Looks terrific.  A very smart scheme and a beautiful finish.  I am really glad Roden brought out this kit.  Means I can dispose of the Eastern Express/Frog 1/96th one in the stash. 

• Thanks 1

Lovely result as ever John, great mods....it was such a good looking beast, I have many memories of Monarch aircraft gracefully sailing over the house in the early 70's.

Like you I have several VC10's waiting in the wings, several 'paper projects' and a few factual ones, (just wish Roden would have a go at a Trident at some point). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1