Jump to content

TSR-2 Towbar and ladders information


Recommended Posts

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands some information on the TSR-2 tow-bar e.g. photos etc,

I need to find information on the yoke or head end of the piece of equipment because all the images are very blurred.

So, does anyone have any photos of the yoke or head end of the this tow-bar?

Also, does anyone have any information/ images of this tow-bar attached to the nose-gear of a TSR-2???
Another thing that I'd like to find photos of is detailed pictures of the crew boarding ladders because I'd like to find out some information as to why there appears to be several types used?? in some photos the ladders have a handle standing proud, whilst in other photos the handles are absent????? Why??

 

Did the TSR-2 have any dedicated Ground Support Equipment(GSE) and what would have been a typical GSE support package????

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, comengtract said:

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands some information on the TSR-2 tow-bar e.g. photos etc,

I need to find information on the yoke or head end of the piece of equipment because all the images are very blurred.

So, does anyone have any photos of the yoke or head end of the this tow-bar?

Also, does anyone have any information/ images of this tow-bar attached to the nose-gear of a TSR-2???
Another thing that I'd like to find photos of is detailed pictures of the crew boarding ladders because I'd like to find out some information as to why there appears to be several types used?? in some photos the ladders have a handle standing proud, whilst in other photos the handles are absent????? Why??

 

Did the TSR-2 have any dedicated Ground Support Equipment(GSE) and what would have been a typical GSE support package????

 

I will take a look later for some tow bar and ground equipment photos later, the attached black and white photo does show some details. The upright pole on the ladder was a movable part one each side, as you can see in the photo (circled in yellow) it can be raised and lowered in the B&W photo it's in the lowered position in the other photos it's in the raised position. 

paPt0N.jpg

paPnix.jpg

paPiFQ.jpg

paPUL2.jpg

 

John  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John,

How are the tow-bar spiggots attached to the nose wheels??? Are they screwed in or clipped to th nose wheel???

 

Also, there are some very intriguing ideas and concepts in the GSE and one wonders why they never caught on because they wound be useful on ops etc; of particular interest is the GSE Vehicle/ truck because with space at a premium, shlepping around the countryside with all that extra baggage in tow is a real pain!!

 

One final and unrelated topic I'd like to find out about is about external stores, were any prototypes made i.e. fuel tanks, pylons, pods etc???

 

Edited by comengtract
Link to post
Share on other sites

The tow bar is attached by a pin that that fits into the axel and is locked in place by the device painted red in the last two photos. TSR.2 was intended to cary a wide range of stores including fuel tanks and weapons. It could also carry a reconnaissance pack or a buddy air to air refueling pack in the bomb bay. 

John  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The front end has a BMC look to my eye.

Not too sure about the cooling grills and exhaust exits on the roof. It does tend to rain a bit here.

It says the cab is air conditioned. Not NBC hardened, I would imagine that could be a requirement.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!!

 

Did BAC get anywhere with making any prototypes of the stores and are there any photos of thing like external fuel tanks, bluewater missiles, Pylons in exsistance??

 

Also, as a newbie to this site I'm trying to feel my way around!!

 

How do I attach a photo to a comment??

 

Regards 

Simon

 

Edited by comengtract
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot News!!

You don't have to scratch build a set of ladders because Neil at Aircraft in Miniature (AIM) is in the process of releasing a PE set of ladders in 1/48! This set contains 2 ladders and 4 handles, which are glued in the raised or lowered positions. Neils says that these ladders should be available frim Hannants in the near future!!

 

These ladders were shown in various u-tube TSR-2 videos in the same blue as the towbar after XR219 maiden flight and during various flight teats!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

In these pictures of the nose gear one can see the black towbar spigots attached to the nose wheels, once attached to the wheel the towbar yoke fingers/prongs are passed over the spigots and locked/ clamped in place as can be seen in the above photos.

 

how are these spigots attached to the wheel???

 

14648275717_cd91da7a0d_b.jpg

tsr-2_06_of_86.jpgdux_tsr2_08.jpgdux_tsr2_07.jpg

Edited by comengtract
extra Photos
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

 

Nice. I was thinking of the boarding ladder though...

 

Cheers,

Bill

Again, not necessarily, but a bit harder to come by now. The ladders originally came as part of the etch for the resin Aardvark/Resitech/Heritage resin TSR2 kit, but Heritage re-issued the etch and ejectiion seats on their own after the Airfix kit release. Heritage stuff was taken over, then changed names to Kits for Cash and they then dumped all their own kits, however they are starting to re-appear under the Simian label but not the TSR2 bits (yet) - might be worth emailing them to see if they have an odd sheet left or plan to re-release it in the near future, otherwise it's the 2nd hand market.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I've just had a bit of an revelation about the basis for the TSR-2 GSE Truck/tug etc because it occurred to me that one could use ether the Pinzgauer Vector or the Alvis Tactica vehicles as a basis for this GSE truck!!

 

This concept surely needs to be looked at again because of the requirement of increased mobility!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 6:51 PM, canberra kid said:

Tow bar

pjmxpG.jpg

pjmb7c.jpg

pjmrZW.jpg

pjmBAz.jpg

John

The two bar shown in the pictures is actually the one used on the H.P. Victor. The one for the TSR.2 would have more than likely have been a lightweight version as shown in the later post.

 

XVTonker. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2018 at 20:11, Navy Bird said:

@canberra kid - you're posting these great drawings of the boarding ladder and now I have to scratch build one for my current TSR.2 project. You rascal!   :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

Two

 

 

 

😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2018 at 20:58, Pete in Lincs said:

The front end has a BMC look to my eye.

Not too sure about the cooling grills and exhaust exits on the roof. It does tend to rain a bit here.

It says the cab is air conditioned. Not NBC hardened, I would imagine that could be a requirement.

In the seventies I recall running about everywhere in noddy suits, I expect the RAFguys did too

 

Not hardening the vehicles would remove an extra layer of complication maybe

 

This of course from a chap who expected to survive nuke strike by digging a deep hole and covering himself, maybe a buddy or three, under a kip sheet and a spadeful of earth

 

They told me...

 

😕

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, xvtonker said:

The two bar shown in the pictures is actually the one used on the H.P. Victor. The one for the TSR.2 would have more than likely have been a lightweight version as shown in the later post.

 

XVTonker. 

Good spot! I guess all the 'propper' TSR.2 tow bars got scraped too?

John

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...