Chieftain Mk.10 Berlin Brigade

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Never before has a final paint job been so keenly awaited. Great job and worthy of the wait. 

Colin 

Thanks Colin! It’s not quite there yet, there is still a bit of tidying up to do. I’m glad you like it though! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Is that it .... one picture :huh: , after all that masking up and painting you present one measly picture for us to look at... tut tut 

:lol: poor show, I know! I was a bit rushed this evening, I’ll try to get a few more up tomorrow. 

great model!! flawless!

looks a bit like LEGO... but probably quite effective as long as you are not in a dusty and torn down environment like in Syrian towns...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

great model!! flawless!

looks a bit like LEGO... but probably quite effective as long as you are not in a dusty and torn down environment like in Syrian towns...

As I recall, the Berlin camo was designed explicitly for use in Berlin, which at that time was a small NATO island alone in a communist sea. Every tank was painted identically, so as to make it difficult for the enemy to count how many actual tanks were in service there.

Certainly one of the more spectacular armour schemes ever done, and a very nice model of it, too!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments!

resized_980d1ad0-fb23-45d3-b66b-3ed98148

I have been weathering the Hull. The turret is still clean as a comparison. I have given it a light wash to try and make it look a little bit dirty, overall though these were kept pretty clean. Having said that I have seen some good photos of them looking very dirty the on a jaunt to the ranges at Soltau.

resized_d450bc33-0a18-4000-8f21-9af9b4e9

I have again supplemented this build. I have bought a base that will need painting in due course. I was hoping this one would be finished by now but as per usual life gets in the way. I will be focusing on the tank, just in case I struggle to make the deadline. After that I will finish the base.

I have also bought a cam net for the turret side bins. I plan on adding the scrim using mixed herbs. This will by my first attempt at this so if any of the armour veterans have any advice please share! I'd also like to do a tarp to cover the opposite cage, again any ideas welcome. 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

resized_4d9fa61c-06c6-4b06-a9a4-bf7065c1

I have made the cam net up and given the turret the same light weathering as the hull. All of the decals are on too, all 5 of them! The instructions call out for a few that aren't on the real tanks and a the placement of the rear union flag is wrong so check your references! 

Up next will will be tarp and stores for the other turret cage. And then a layer of light pigments for the running gear. Not far now!  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Starting to come together now fella, looks great so keep it up :thumbsup:

Cheers Dan, I am really enjoying it.  A decalling session that didn’t  span 3 days was very refreshing! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looking excellent!! :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, I am very glad you like us this far! 

I quick half hour at the bench today saw a bit more weathering. I have very lightly dusted the wheels with pigments, just to knock odd that factory fresh look. I have also added a bit of grime to the exhausts from that famous blue smoke that these monsters created. Photos to follow. Have a great weekend everyone. 

• Like 2

resized_caf77fb5-6a66-43dc-bd25-49b8a0b2

The Chieftain is nearly finished, there are just a few small details to add.

resized_da9ccb5a-a26e-475c-9cdd-6616f34e

I have put the base coat down onto the road way. I will build up the colours and then add washes and pigment to bring it to life. This will be my first attempt at this kind of thing so I'm learning as I go. 

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 4

This kit fell into my pocket (I have large pockets; not deep, but large :D ) as I left the local hobby shop the other day. There was also a Mig Ammo paint set. I've told them that I want the Mk.5/P kit as well, because there'll be left over paint.

And I saw photos of a Challenger II in (very close to) this scheme the other day- who makes the best Chally II kit? Because I'm sure that the paint will go across three tanks...

The Chieftain's looking bonzer DAG, an inspiration to us all!

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

This kit fell into my pocket (I have large pockets; not deep, but large :D ) as I left the local hobby shop the other day. There was also a Mig Ammo paint set. I've told them that I want the Mk.5/P kit as well, because there'll be left over paint.

And I saw photos of a Challenger II in (very close to) this scheme the other day- who makes the best Chally II kit? Because I'm sure that the paint will go across three tanks...

The Chieftain's looking bonzer DAG, an inspiration to us all!

Cheers Rob! You are in for a treat with this kit. Takom are doing very well with their recent releases, hopefully I’ll be adding a few more of their kits to my collection. 

As for the best Challenger 2? I’m not entirely sure. I think it’s quite slim pickings at the moment, with only the trumpeter kit springing to mind. Or perhaps an accurate armour conversion of the Tamiya Challener 1.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have called time on this one. The photos are up in the Gallery. The Chieftain itself is complete and I'm pretty happy with how it has finished. I didn't manage to get the base completed in time. I could have pushed on with it over today and tomorrow but I didn't want to be rushing it. I will do a standard RFI in the Armour section once the base once it is all done.

I have learnt a whole lot about armour and a few new techniques. This kit was on my 2018 "To Do" list. I am glad I plucked up the courage to start it. I would highly recommend the kit to any one with a slight bit of interest in the Chieftain or even if you just want to try something different.

Thank you to all who have followed me along the way. Your comments, likes, tips and encouragement have made it a very enjoyable build, cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, zebra said:

Not really an armour fan but have to make an exception for this. Superb model, really love the camouflage. Well done!

Cheers!

And thanks for your support along the way.