Airfix Huricane Attempted Build

dogsbody

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

hi Chris

what bit of the wing?  Thinning it?

see here

Or alignment issues?  I think if you get it to the right dihedral and thinned the wing,  the outer aileron join won't line up,  but that's not a hard fix.

Also,  the WORST is you stuff up the wing,  you could then get a metal wing replacement...

and it's not a rare or expensive kit at that.

I gave some hints on the wheel well above,  but it's a basically decent kit.   or did you mean something else?

HTH

T

Thanks, Troy. Yeah, it was the thinning of the wing trailing edge that I was looking for. I knew there was something out there but the search function was giving me a ton of stuff that wasn't of much use in the direction or the PB images weren't showing. I've got a better idea of what to do now.

Chris

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 9:58 AM, dogsbody said:

You seem to have much more information on the RCAF Hurricanes than is easily found on the Net or in most books. Do you have a source?

Chris

Hi Chris,

About 10 years ago or so I got frustrated about so much conflicting, and incorrect, information published about RCAF/CCF Hurricanes and went down a research rabbit hole that continues to this day.  I decided to ignore everything previously published and rely on primary sources.   (Record cards/RCAF memos/contracts/ORBs, etc.)  This lead to correspondence with a few other Hurricane researches and we have all be sharing information in order to get to the bottom of a very complicated story.  I published a three part article a couple of years ago on the topic in IPMS Canada's RT magazine and had always planned to follow up with a book.  However, I've come to the conclusion that there just isn't a market for a book with such a narrow focus.  Not to mention, more and more information keeps being uncovered on the topic by our little research group each day/week.

Jim

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, airjiml2 said:

Hi Chris,

About 10 years ago or so I got frustrated about so much conflicting, and incorrect, information published about RCAF/CCF Hurricanes and went down a research rabbit hole that continues to this day.  I decided to ignore everything previously published and rely on primary sources.   (Record cards/RCAF memos/contracts/ORBs, etc.)  This lead to correspondence with a few other Hurricane researches and we have all be sharing information in order to get to the bottom of a very complicated story.  I published a three part article a couple of years ago on the topic in IPMS Canada's RT magazine and had always planned to follow up with a book.  However, I've come to the conclusion that there just isn't a market for a book with such a narrow focus.  Not to mention, more and more information keeps being uncovered on the topic by our little research group each day/week.

Jim

Ah! I have those IPMS Canada RT articles and have just re-read them recently. If you should ever publish anything on those early Hurricanes, please let me know.

Chris 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, dogsbody said:

Thanks, Graham. I do have a set of Freightdog 5-spoke wheels. As for the entry, the kit doesn't have one, but I've got at least one from another kit in the spares and I also have an Airwaves etch set that I may use a few bits from. I'm aware of the wing issues and will attempt to rectify as best I can.

Thanks, Troy. I have the kit with the parts to build both versions.  I'm not too concerned about the canopy. I have a Falcon vac set and two vac canopies from Squadron. Anyways, this build is to mostly try to finish something before I get too tired of it. I'll never be able to finish anything that would ever come close to your work and the other masterpieces that I see here.

I'm more of a styrene butcher than a kit builder.

Thanks, Jack. Definitely something to consider. I checked the site out to see what was there and was instantly transported back to the one-room country schoolhouse, where I stared school in the early 60's and learning to print and write. The quick brown fox indeed!

My first school, in the 1980's, before it was torn down:

Falmouth Village school No.47

Chris

Chris, I thought that those kind of schools(1 room) had disappeared from North America before WW1; this was still extant in the '60s(that's when I started, too)? Wow! Now I have to ask; where were Falmouth Valley Schools 1 to 46? :)

Joe

Chris, FWIW, Jim's been an immense help along with Carl Vincent, Jerry Vernon and others for the Hurricane MkXII we are restoring and rest assured that any info Jim gives you on RCAF Hurris is kosher, current, and credible.

Andy

• Like 2

7 hours ago, airjiml2 said:

However, I've come to the conclusion that there just isn't a market for a book with such a narrow focus.  Not to mention, more and more information keeps being uncovered on the topic by our little research group each day/week.

There's always publishing via Amazon Kindle, which has the added virtue of enabling updates to be pushed out if the book is revised.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Chris, I thought that those kind of schools(1 room) had disappeared from North America before WW1; this was still extant in the '60s(that's when I started, too)? Wow! Now I have to ask; where were Falmouth Valley Schools 1 to 46? :)

Joe

This school house was in central Nova Scotia, just a few hundred yards from my backdoor. All the small local schools were closed in the mid 60's and children were bused to larger, newer schools. As for the other number schools, I have no idea where they might be. I suppose you could always look up the Nova Scotia Public School history.

Chris