Chengdu J-10 ++FINISHED++

What to pick for this group build ?  OA-10 Warthog ?  Chinese WZ-10 helicoptor ? Something with a £10 price sticker on the box ?

No, I'll go for an entry so obscure it doesn't even have a '10' anywhere on the box....

103729-11185-pristine.jpg

The Chengdu J-10

Here's the 'look I ain't no cheating weasel' pic to show it's  < 25 % done..... still in the cellophane....

IMG_20180120_161219177

Edited by IanHx
change topic
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

That's a pretty cool kit of a pretty cool plane. I have built the two seat version, J-10S. Other than the decals which were no good, the kit was great. Look forward to your build!

Out of possible interest to you & others, I've seen a lot of those planes in real life. I was here in Beijing during the 2009 military parade - indeed I lived right under the flight line of it - and the J-10 flew overhead in a big formation. Then a few years later (2015 I think) there was another big parade. That time I lived a bit to the north but could still see the whole formation going past, from my 6th floor window where we then lived.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Yes please, I'm sure they'll be excellent references for Ian's build. :) Its one I'll be following , this is a kit I'm keen to get sometime soon to.

Steve.

Ah, well, they were taken at a considerable distance and I'm no pro. But ok here is one:

DSC06352_1200.jpg

Bear in mind, it was taken handheld on an SLR (full frame) with a 500mm lens, while standing on a stool half leaning out of the 6th floor window a good 3 or 4 km from the line of Chang An Avenue in Beijing where the fly by was (I can't quite find pics from the 2009 parade just now). 

Here is a crop to try to make it a bit clearer.

DSC06352_c1200.jpg

Say what you like about China's many issues but they certainly know how to throw a military parade...

• Like 4

Great pics, thanks. Currently playing "what do the Trumpeter paint numbers mean?" as the numbers don't  mention which standard they follow... ( Revell ? Humbrol ? Tamiya ? ) 

(Think the H numbers are Gunze , and the white numbers in black boxes are RLM)

Edited by IanHx

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Great pics, thanks. Currently playing "what do the Trumpeter paint numbers mean?" as the numbers don't  mention which standard they follow... ( Revell ? Humbrol ? Tamiya ? ) 

(Think the H numbers are Gunze , and the white numbers in black boxes are RLM)

I’d like to know too, got a couple of brand new Trumpeters in the stash...I thought it was Mr. Color, is that Gunze? Anyway, will enjoy watching this.

12 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

That's a pretty cool kit

That's a not cool kit, that's a only 'conversion set' for conversion J-10B Trumpeter to J-10A!!!

I have both models from the Trumpeter.

20170227_212959.jpg

Having looked at them attentively I for myself have come to a conclusion that J-10A will be simpler to be made on the basis of J-10B having taken a nose cone and the air inlet from J-10A, than to bring J-10A Trumpeter to that level at which the J-10B Trumpeter model is made. These are two absolutely different in quality, geometrical accuracy and study an interior and an exterior of model.

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

this is a kit I'm keen to get sometime soon to

Don't do it!
You shouldn't buy J-10A! Buy J-10B.

By the way about J-10B I wrote something in this branch:

the way, conversion of J-10B in newer J-10C version requires probably very few efforts, but am afraid as modification of J-10C will be soon outdated because China tests J-10 option with a thrust vectoring:

DRz1vivWAAEQCAh.jpg

1383231_1000.jpg

resource:

http://paralay.iboards.ru/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3879&sid=f2d57bfec2cd8d34612abff29d808089&start=60

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I’d like to know too, got a couple of brand new Trumpeters in the stash...I thought it was Mr. Color, is that Gunze? Anyway, will enjoy watching this.

Yes, is Gunze! Mr.Color & Aqueuos Hobby Colour.

But Trumpeter contains many mistakes and typos concerning numbers in instructions 
enamels therefore I would recommend to use them with big care!

However exact shade of a camouflage of J-10 big question! Blueish gray or Barley gray? Or Blueish gray for old aircraft and Barley gray for new aircraft? 

Who knows,  who knows.....

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

That's a not cool kit, that's a only 'conversion set' for conversion J-10B Trumpeter to J-10A!!!

"Trumpeter" and "shape inaccuracy" in the same sentence... I wonder if that's ever happened before :hmmm:

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

"Trumpeter" and "shape inaccuracy" in the same sentence...

On 99 % agree, but J-10B really not bad.......maybe because is re-scale models in 48 scale?

B.R.

Serge

13 hours ago, IanHx said:

Wondering if there were several versions of J-10 with different intakes ?

You are absolutely right! Air intakes main visual difference between the early J-10A model and later J-10B and J-10C. The J-10 air intakes

is in general one of the most interesting metamorphoses!
At first he was on 1st prototype as at Lavi and F-16.
At least there is a photo though I am not sure that it is not the photoshop. Then, on J-10 have put the air

intakes structurally similar to J-8 which is in turn borrowed about MiG-23 which in turn was under influence the Phantom. Then the air intakes was replaced with DSI,
as on F-16,

F-35_Divertless_Supersonic_Inlet_F-16.jp

F-22 and F-35.....
Here pictures where the distinction of versions is visually illustrated:

J-10_evolution.jpg

and text:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-Chengdu-J-10A-J-10B-and-J-10C

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

Thanks Serge, that's useful stuff. Far more useful than the 30 minutes spent on my hands and knees playing every modeller's least favourite game, "find the ridiculously small part that's just pinged out of the tweezers and onto the floor".  

The part cheated - it was on the desk the whole time, sniggering... @#£ ! joystick...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, IanHx said:

Far more useful than the 30 minutes spent on my hands and knees playing every modeller's least favourite game, "find the ridiculously small part that's just pinged out of the tweezers and onto the floor".  

I know this game! ;):)

In this game against me and J-10B plays my floor mats in the coalitions with my cat! ;):)

Before my cat and my floor mats have put physical losses to my J-10B and my spiritual health I have managed to make it:

- cockpit is rather quite good from a box:

15172188721081996910298.jpg
20170802_234358-1.jpg

1517219185666461433744.jpg

1517219111615505215813.jpg

15172186780042048479999.jpg

Pay attention that such heavy joint of a wing and the fuselage is built without hard putty use!
Hard putty is required a little on joints under a wing:

SKP_20170816_173348_1601430879139.jpg

but as you see absolutely
it is a little:

1517218952790195231982.jpg

Also a little hard putty is required in a tail part:

1517218765194691785653.jpg

1517218819985995193995.jpg
but as you see very little!
Wheel bay quite good, it is better than at J-10A:

SKP_20170816_173348_1601430879139.jpg

15172190201361749559207.jpg

but to real have a little relations:

J-10_B_PL-12_PL-12_underside.jpg
What isn't really good in J-10B set, these are too thick stabilizers of missile! You should do them most because photoetching is issued only for old Chinese missile.

Do you ask why at all advantages of J-10B, J-10A is interesting to me?
Situation as about the SAAB JSS-39 A and C!
SAAB JAS-39A has many interesting options of nose art but SAAB JAS-39C has more modern suspended arms!
J-10A 44 divisions has such nose art:
J-10_A_50x5x_-_44._Div_Eagle.jpg

J-10_A_71.jpg

It is not the photoshop because I saw a video on YouTube of J-10A with it a nose art. You understand that a video the photoshop very difficult and what for?
But decal with it a nose art for J-10A 44 divisions aren't known to me!

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

On 25.01.2018 at 12:11 PM, Aardvark said:

The J-10 air intakes

is in general one of the most interesting metamorphoses!
At first he was on 1st prototype as at Lavi and F-16.

1270269183_79119.jpg

P.P.S.

But this:

J-10-3.jpg

this is photoshop!!!!

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Aardvark please don't hijack Ian's build thread with a build of yours

..... but he was doing such a good job of hiding the lack of progress pictures from me :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Aardvark please don't hijack Ian's build thread with a build of yours

Dear,  Black Knight, I won't be able to continue to hijack this build thread mr. IanHx

with photos my model!
Because besides described according to the reference to a problem with HUD after my cat
has dumped (or has eaten?) from my desktop 
HUD, he has also dumped (or has eaten?) one  nose wheel and control panel!

Yes that control panel which you see on a photo! 

As result until I don't buy one more J-10B for his conversion in J-10A (then will be released HUD also the control panel) or these details any wonderfully won't be, it doesn't make any sense to do something with my model.
Because the collected J-10B model without control panel also HUD, on one  wheel instead look  a little strange and unusually!

Believe, I had at all no desire to demotivate mr. IanHx
on construction of his model having placed in this branch of a photo of mine J - 10B! 

If mr. IanHx

considers 
finding of a photo of my model in this branch inappropriate, I can remove them from mine posting!

Summarizing, the fact that I wanted to tell in this branch the posting.

If someone wants the qualitative and modern J-10 model, then
in the presence of more best J-10B from the Trumpeter it is worth buying it! 

If someone wants to have in the J-10A and J-10B collection of identical quality, it is better to buy three models! Two J-10B and one J-10A. Collect one J-10B as is, and on the basis of the second J-10B to create J-10A with use of some details from J-10A. Or make J-10A scrathchbulit details such as radar nose cone and  air inlet.

If to someone all the same, what modification at you also isn't important J-10, and also what detailing at him and quality of a surface and if you have already bought J-10A from the Trumpeter, then just make J-10A as is from box!

Such algorithm.

What I categorically don't recommend to do,
so it to try to bring the accuracy, geometry and quality of a surface of J-10A the Trumpeter, to the corresponding J-10B parameters! It is a bad way which will take away from you many forces, time and money! Collect J-10A better as is, or make J-10A on the basis of J-10B.

Naturally, it is only my opinion and I don't apply for a role of the guru on J-10.

I only wanted to warn the posting those who will read this branch, from those mistakes which I had made! Especially as for many the J-10B model from Trumpeter has remained almost unnoticed in the shadow J-10A

Trumpeter. 
And also to share some photos of the presents of J-10 found me in the Chinese or Russian segments the Internet.

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

.... but he was doing such a good job of hiding the lack of progress pictures from me :)

I would compare it to how at concerts of super stars, for a public warming up, is addressed by less famous bands!

:):)

53 minutes ago, IanHx said:

and on that note....  here's what's taking me so long - can't even SEE some of the parts (  ejection seat handle was a separate part i kid you not )    :crosseyed:

Good job!

B.w. real ejection seat in a real cockpit J-10 is a China copy M.B.Mk.10 ejection seat! 

B.R.

Serge