@stever219

thanks for looking in. Yes indeed that is an early pre A4 sized and now yellowing copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling. This afternoon I came across an article by Alan Hall converting Frog’s F.4 into a T.7 using balsa wood, dope and talcum powder! It was another age :pipe:

Thanks too for the heads up on the undercarriage. I had a vague recollection of something like that. As for the bang seat position, I may have to leave the ‘ole as is, because there are a load of screws jammed in with Milliput as ballast!

Regards

Trevor

• Like 2

No progress during the week, but I picked up the brush this afternoon and have been giving a further coat of dark green and it now looks a lot less olive than before. Amazing what a really good stir will achieve!

Ober the next couple of days I’ll apply the PRU Blue and tackle the vac form canopy (yipes....at least I’ve got two goes).

Following that I will treat myself to the application of the transfers before finally giving it its legs.

Then I have to start that Firefly!!

Trevor

• Like 2

So today I cracked open that new pot of Humbrol acrylic 230 PRU Blue.

Set absolutely solid. What a swizz :dull: 

Luckily I had an old time of 230 in enamel. I opened that and it was still good - thank goodness. So I used that with the first coat (yes modern enamels also need multiple coats......).

This is where I am at the mo.

41135722431_9a87709003_b.jpg

I suppose I need 24 hours for it to dry properly?

Better get cracking with the legs.

Trevor

• Like 3

On 01/04/2018 at 1:38 AM, Max Headroom said:

I think this model is beginning to test me.....

41136481151_f2e5e2676b_b.jpg

Silent shrug and carry on.

Trevor

Only just beginning to test you? Some of us would have put this on the shelf of doom a while ago!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

Only just beginning to test you? Some of us would have put this on the shelf of doom a while ago!

I can see the finishing line and I’m darned if I’m giving up now!

Trevor

• Like 3

Just a couple of (bad!) photos to show that this one is progressing.

41269696072_f6779b5a34_b.jpg

41269695872_27336c329b_b.jpg

There is the inevitable touching up to do, but hopefully it’s all plain sailing from here.

Trevor

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, sorry for the hiatus but there was a lack of mojo and family life occurring, but hopefully the impending deadline will now spur me on.

So where was I? The undercarriage. Tell you what, I’ll come back to that later, because it’s time for me to have some fun and to give this model it’s identity.

Here we go

41583200972_68d685456a_b.jpg

My chosen muse is WH573 ‘G-A’ of 541 Squadron. Most of the serial can be cobbled together from the kit options, as all I need is an ‘H’ from the spares box and yes I’ve got that covered.

Squadron codes are also available. As for the tail flash, all I needed was one which was split in half and a triangle cut off the red part. Warning triangles are courtesy of a Fujimi RAF Phantom. Fuselage roundels are from a FROG Sea Vixen. 

Here is where I am now...

27754537428_13a3dc71cb_b.jpg

40912854644_afb5380179_b.jpg

27754537478_353cf4f965_b.jpg

If you look closely there is some white showing around the blue of the fuselage roundel. That’ll need a touch-up.

I was going to add the wing walkway markings, but the transfer glue became a yellow gunk and as soon as I tried to remove it, the transfer wrapped up over itself.

So this won’t have any......:dull:

This has given me the impetus to continue though!

Trevor

• Like 5

I have in my decals files a few sheets of coloured lines by Xtradecal. They do the lines in various widths and the black are good for walkway lines, the red lines for warning lines etcetera

Another source of black lines are the ones printed on the edges of decal sheets or printed there to separate the markings of different schemes. You probably have plenty without realising it

The wing walkway lines on this Meteor 4 were done a line at a time using the Xtradecal lines

Meteor%20F.4%2C%201%20sqd%2C%2002s-M.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks BN!

I have stripes on sheets as you say and even strips of Kemco ‘pressfix’ ones, where you stick the line face down then wet the backing sheet and then peel away. I might do that, but the priority now is pushing it over the finishing line.

Trevor

Minor update.

Mostly touching up on the camouflage and trying to get rid of the white marks on the edge of the fuselage roundels.

I have also painted the nosewheel ‘wheel well’ black to give an impression of depth and the main ones silver.

To be honest there’s not much to see so no pix at the moment.

Ive come across a problem though. Careful study of the vac form transparency shows that my option, the one with the metal rear end, is deformed slightly, so I’ve one go at this but adapting the fully blown canopy.

Unless someone has a spare MPM canopy???

Trevor

Let me check; I've three of the MPM/Xtrakit/Airfix F8 kits. Each has two canopies. I'll check on what I need.

edit; having checked; I need all three solid back canopies

However; I can find no difference is size and shape between the two types of canopy. The only difference on the MPM is that the solid rear canopy has this part slightly raised and the full blown type has a canopy frame line where it should be.

Thus I would suggest; sanding off the frame line on a full blown type and just painting the rear section

I can let you have a full blown type if you want it. The plastic, whilst nicely thin, is thicker than a vac one, and less likely to turn yellow-brown

• Thanks 1

Hi @Black Knight I’ve only just come across this and thanks for the offer. I’ll grit my teeth and adapt the full blown canopy and with careful masking see if I get away with it......

Fingers crossed 😱

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

So then sit rep time. First order of the day was to remove the masking from the cockpit and nacelles.

40268559080_247fa83264_b.jpg

Allie approves!

Easy things first. I gave it the serial number.

Next was the undercarriage. As you may remember one wheel was damaged

40268559020_cd15d3511b_b.jpg

I found an unused thingummy on the sprues to replace the missing bit. In order to give the leg more grip I routed a hole in the wheel well roof.

41176234735_19c2121129_b.jpg

But I did a stupid

27206149317_e60e32bfa0_b.jpg

Soft lad here hadn’t realised that the wheel well roof was part of the  upper wing surface 🤪 It’s a Cat 3c repair. My tame miniature ground crew will effect an emergency repair......

I now have it standing on its legs though!

28203786078_68a3dde563_b.jpg

It’s most definitely not a tail sitter :penguin:

Trevor

.......more later 

• Like 3

AND IT’S FINISHED!

Bit of a rush and frankly not my best, but at least I have a single seat Meatbox to keep my NF.13 company.

Enough words, here’s the finished article.

41185181165_ae217bb3c6_b.jpg

41185181385_25e6132d11_b.jpg

42040238992_9ea719d931_b.jpg

42040239062_0eb0d15d31_b.jpg

Finally, here is the NF.13 I built when the kit first came out for comparison.

42085030391_567215e4c2_b.jpg

28212703588_5880f91df3_b.jpg

Thanks to all for looking in and giving advice and encouragement.

Now for the RFI.

Trevor

• Like 5