I’m back!

First off, grateful thanks to @Britman for posting a very useful photo of a PR.10 and in camouflage too (no way was I doing an NMF finish after all this sanding and I don’t like handbrushing it either). Photo can be found here in his thread.

A little progress to report. The model will need ballast to avoid a tail sitter, so I found some screws and checked for fit. The beauty of doing this as a single seater is that there is more room.

39441760055_b0bfa8d78a_b.jpg

Fresh Milliput.

26467824978_710e8cdd84_b.jpg

Those screws ain’t goin’ nowhere!

All that was left to do was to button down the Aeroclub dorsal fuselage plug. 

40294238162_d097c0f110_b.jpg

I decided to do this now because Plan A for backing the camera apertures isn’t necessary. The rearmost hole is ‘blind’ because I happened to drill into the attachment point for the fuselage holes and the other although open, looks into a black void.

Next to be tackled will be the nose. Britman’s photo clearly shows some angles going on, so careful study will be needed and depending on how much plastic is removed, I may drill out the camera apertures, or else have to satisfy myself with a black transfer shape.

After that The putty monster will need more attention on the dorsal part and then I may do some scribing. Again Britman’s photo shows that the usual single seater panel lines where guns would normally go are still present. Milliput is probably best for this, as it can take scribing.  

More soonish!

Trevor

• Like 4

Evening everybods!

A short session with the Milliput this evening. This was mainly for the benefit of that join between the kit part and the Aeroclub replacement dorsal insert. The fit of the Matchbox lid wasn’t stellar anyway if memory serves, so I was resigned to using a lot of filler here anyway. So I mixed a goodly lump together, rolling into a thin sausage shape and doubling it back and rolling again. I did this for about five minutes in order to thoroughly mix the two parts and also to make it warm from the heat of my hands so making it more malleable.

Here is the result.

25515506877_4964f18089_b.jpg

25515506927_c1a6bce2d9_b.jpg

26516608298_2d78d14a42_b.jpg

This is where I am up to this evening. I’ll let it harden overnight.

Tomorrow I predict lots of sanding, filing and polishing.

Oh joy.

Trevor

• Like 2

I was wondering how long it would take me to sand back or file away the Milliput.

A long time it seems. So looking into the Big Boy’s DIY Toolbox I found a rasp, yes a rasp....

25532487117_17611bb3fb_b.jpg

I will not be beaten :drunk:

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle ha ha! The rasp is only Def Com 2. I have a rubber headed mallet and a bottle of Jameson’s on QRA......

@zebra to be honest it’s not as bad as some horrors I’ve encountered. I chant the mantra ‘one problem at a time’ and achieve oneness with the universe! 

@Colin W thanks for the advice. However the times I would need something like a Dremel are very rare and the money is better spent on more models :D

No modelling until the weekend as I’ll be away. I’ll be planning my next line of attack which will probably to tackle how to modify the nose components.

Thanks for looking!

Trevor 

• Like 2

Back in the saddle.

I did a brain thing and realised that I could chisel off the majority of the Milliput instead! My thickiness sometimes astounds even me.

So after that exercise and lots of filing and refilling with Perfect Plastic Putty And Greenstuff I find myself here.

38667003970_843232d784_b.jpg

40477567951_bbac148f47_b.jpg

I understand that this is called progress!

Trevor

• Like 6

Not had the opportunity to do much in he last few days, so I literally snatched five minutes this evening to attach the slipper tank and upper wings and to fill the awfully big gap between the upper wing and fuselage with Perfect Plastic Putty.

This is the result.....

26691955948_efca09648f_b.jpg

39852546894_4c572206d3_b.jpg

The reign of the Pitty Monster continues.

Trevor 

• Like 4

Hello everybods! :bye:

Its about time that I gave this one sharp and blunt ends. So as a reward for all that filling, sanding, smoothing and repeat etc etc, I decided to assemble the nose parts and then glue to the nose.

38784202200_8fc8f4c761_b.jpg

Dunno if it’s me but there was a distinct step between the nose at the upper end and the rest of the fuselage.

39699257365_4934ff6370_b.jpg

So taking no prisoners.......

25723535027_850a5af9e8_b.jpg

I think I’ll leave that overnight to dry!

Looking at the tail it isn’t a seamless join, but then again I didn’t expect it to be. However, if I butt joined the Aeroclub part flat to the Matchbox part the fuselage would end up with a distinct ‘wonk’.

Whilst the port side is a good butt-join

40594245451_d88644c651_b.jpg

the starboard side is less so

38784201290_a46651e6c0_b.jpg

I’ll let that set overnight and then pack the gap with sheet plastic stock.

From above though it’s straight

26722630008_3ee026b54a_b.jpg

I think though that more filler will eventually be needed to blend in the two parts.

More tomorrow!

My aim is to have it primed by next weekend.

Thanks for dropping in.

Trevor

• Like 6

Well, that was some catch up. We nearly have a Meatbox here.

So, it cost 14 pounds, and double that in fillers & glues various.

Yet we're still having fun. Sounds great to me.

Well played, Trevor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little more progress this evening.

Here is the nose after some tlc

39723215565_91a42f8687_b.jpg

40576601832_d08b58df61_b.jpg

Meanwhile at the blunt end

38808805280_ec523a4ea6_b.jpg

26747020488_fc8c283755_b.jpg

Not perfect and there are a couple of areas that need another smear of filler (for a change!), but overall progress is good.

Once the extremities are fettled, I will add the tailplanes. After that, then maybe it’s Primer Time?

More soon.......

Trevor

• Like 8

12 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That's a lot of putty!  Looks great though.  Will you buff the surfaces to make them more smooth?

@John D.C. Masters thanks for dropping in!

Once all the puttying and sanding are out of the way I will be buffing it up with micromesh. This is one of the best purchases I made in recent years and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Following that I have Tamiya primer at the ready and then (finally) the camouflage.

Trevor

• Like 1

..........I’ve been thinking again.

I need to tackle the camera nose. Given the thickness of the plastic, I wont be punching holes through it. I think he best I can do is to get the general shape of the nose (it’s a lot more angular than the 8 and 9), so what I intend to do is to file/slice/whatever the excess plastic. I’ll do this by masking off the areas surrounding the angular parts which will give me a visual reference as to what needs to one off. 

I’m off to do some masking.........

Trevor

And the masking’s done.

25808608967_7782e74680_b.jpg

26808477418_e5a7458997_b.jpg

Next was a wipe of black paint in the rectangles on each side.

39969610914_fb45d9315a_b.jpg

39969610934_1de7a983b0_b.jpg

In theory and once the black paint has dried, I can remove the masking and be left with clearly defined areas where I can file flat or slice the areas for removal.

The nose aperture isn’t so much of a problem and I should just be able to slice off the offending part.  

After that there are are a couple of protuberances on top and below that can be added with some circular sprue.

Let’s see what happens next......

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 1

The paint has dried.

This side’s ok

26809349848_537e165bb3_b.jpg

But this side, not so much 

39785393075_78f08e878c_b.jpg

However I now have a visual reference as to what to remove.

Trevor

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking....is the nose too bulbous for a 10 anyway? It appears ok for a 7 or 8. Am I better sanding the heck from the sides in order to make it more pointy anyway?

Trevor

@Davek72

Thanks for the thumbs up. Just as well you’ve not seen it close up because the nose is looking a bit rough at the moment.

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow the tailplanes and intakes will be on and I can finally think about throwing some paint at it :lol:

Trevor

So then the Meatbox rhinoplasty continues.

The photo below shows in more detail how I carved a notch in the nose with the rasp,  because the photos of this area show that it isn’t merely a case of flattening the plastic. There is also a wedge in front of the aperture opening which would also need removing. So this is ‘during’....

25857695907_4b4a3e3b0e_b.jpg

Yes I know the whole area looks dog rough at the moment but I’ll sort that.

Here is the other side after the second cut/slice/file

25857698367_2297ff0530_b.jpg

Now then, this isn’t the final look because I need to slice some plastic card into a wide V notch so that the whole cut out area becomes rectangular. A bit like this really....

40729033401_7774feb1c2_b.jpg

After this photo was taken I straightened out the two scraps of plastic so that they were as parallel as they were ever going to be.

Repeat on the other side.

25857697877_62d0332ec0_b.jpg

So have a guess at what happens now. Go on I’ll count to ten...........

........8, 9, 9.5...........10!

40685985542_84c1e338a2_b.jpg

I knew you’d get it!

So what’s a chap to do whilst he waits for this to dry?

Go  house hunting with my daughter, that’s what. 

So after that (looks nice btw, lovely area, good schools nearby and shops to buy stuff in too).

Attack with a Flexi File (also courtesy of Aeroclub from the 80’s!) aaaaand we get to here.

40729033791_d23cdca60c_b.jpg

38918761080_63e9af3d78_b.jpg

39833963225_13d6291f83_b.jpg

All I need to do now is ensure that everything is smooth and then as far as I’m concerned the last structural work on the nose will be to add the dorsal and ventral tube ‘thingies’ (?) that I’ve seen in pictures.

Meanwhile at the blunt end.......

26857617708_79bf704dc2_b.jpg

40685984122_fda3b283ba_b.jpg

And that’s it for now!

Next is to fill in the gaps on the tailplanes and attach the nacelle fairings.

Then the painting begins.......

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Buenas notches!

Cliff

Since my last post I’ve discovered that the join below the cockpit on the starboard side has been sanded away too vigorously and that there’s a notch.

So guess what I did?

Do I need to count to 10 this time?!

el Trevor

• Like 2
  • Haha 1