Old Humbrol Codes

224 Peter

Restoring and identifying my 40+ year old stock of old Humbrol Enamels has been a bit of a chore. 

I found this website....

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/authentics.htm

It helped me identify some that had me confused, for example a tin of R303, which is BRM Racing Green, probably from my Airfix MRRC car days!

Finding modern replacements is harder, but I located a copy of a cross reference list printed by IPMS some years ago. I only have it as hard copy, but will scan it and upload as a pdf. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 year old Humbrol paints!

Now you've got my attention.

I'm using some of my old stock on the restoration of a FROG Penguin Dornier 215 at the moment.

IMG_3375.jpg

This stuff is more than sixty years old and other than the tin of dark green, is still painting out beautifully. I need a dark green/grey for the uppersurfaces of the plane. The dark green tin is proving to be unusable, the pigment has separated and nothing I've tried so far will re-mix it. The bright green and grey have mixed to a good military mid green colour, a bit of dark blue added has given me just the colour I need.

All very primitive in an age of FS colours off the shelf, but somehow so very satisfying.

I'm also partial to displaying paint and glue as well...

sellers735.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Autumn' evenings draw in and it is time to return to my winter "man cave" and pick up on the models left as the summer unfolded. 

But first a task I've been putting off for ages, sorting all my paints. 

I normally buy Humbrol but over the summer I acquired a load of Revell tinlets and acrylics from Vallejo and Tamiya. 

Cross referencing them to the Humbrol codes took a while but is now done. 

I also got hold of a Humbrol display rack from a closed model shop. 

So, all the paints are indexed and in humbrol number order. 

They look rather fine! 

Paints.jpg

• Like 3