Lufthansa Airbus A320neo, Revell & PAS 1:144

neilg

I've had this A320 in my stash for a long time now, and I always meant to get around to building it, but something more interesting always got added to my collection that I started first (last weekend I added the Roden C-5B Galaxy, which I stopped myself from starting straight away).

I've done a few big, long builds over the last year or so, and I wanted to do something smaller, and the A320 is probably the smallest kit I have.

Over Christmas, I bought the neo conversion set from PAS Decals, and the little box costing £33 was just delivered.

I know the none of the decal registrations are going to match actual A320neo aircraft in the Lufthansa fleet, but I'm not really concerned about that.  I have the choice of:

• D-AIPB, Heidelberg,
  • D-AIPK,Wiesbaden,
  • D-AIPS, Augsburg,
  • D-AIQF, Halle a. d. Saale,
  • D-AIGN, Laupheim,
  • D-AIQW, Kleve.

Something I can crack on with this wet Parisian weekend.

Before I begin, I wanted to show you what's in the box from PAS, with the new engines and Sharklets:

IMG_4264

IMG_4265

• Like 5

Hi Neil,

This will be interesting to watch I haven't seen any Airbus Neo's built yet. Those Pas engines and sharklets look nice, you'll have to let us know how they fit.

With respect to the registrations you could cut up and rearrange the reg numbers on the Revell sheet and model D-AINB or F. Then all you'll be missing is the really small Lufthansa logos on the sharklets and the 'neo' titling after the Airbus A320 on the forward fuselage. Although again with some delicate cutting you could create these from the names on the sheet.

Looking forward to your progress on this wet Mancunian weekend too!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Then all you'll be missing is the really small Lufthansa logos on the sharklets and the 'neo' titling after the Airbus A320 on the forward fuselage. Although again with some delicate cutting you could create these from the names on the sheet.

Hmm, there are no spare letter Os that I could use on the decal sheet!

I could have used the E and the N from Wiesbaden, but there are no Os anywhere.

I was surprised too there there isn't a neo that's already been built on here!

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress with this one I'm afraid, because of work projects.

This is the tip of the wing that requires removal to install the PAS sharklets;

IMG_3240

IMG_3241

Most of the assembly is now done.  It's a very simple build, and is common across the A319, A320, A321, except the wings for the A319 and A320 require the removal of the extra flap actuator fairings on the underside of the wing.  It required very little filler all over.

I had to use superglue to attach the sharklets, because poly cement wouldn't hold.  I'm not sure what material the extra parts are made from.

IMG_3271

Since I took these photos, I've primed and painted with Halfords appliance gloss white.

• Like 3

I expect the Pas conversion set is resin (as most of these aftermarket sets are)  Neil so CA is the go to. I was not aware Pas had done this set

I was waiting for the Revell issue of the A320 Neo but it has been delayed apparently.

Quick progress there. I have a few A320s in the stash but have not got around to building any of them.

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I expect the Pas conversion set is resin (as most of these aftermarket sets are)  Neil so CA is the go to. I was not aware Pas had done this set

Ahh thanks, I haven't used any aftermarket parts before.  I was trying to work out what material it was while I was cutting through the excess material!

I'm sure it says on the box, but my Russian is pretty bad!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the engines assembled (I made the kit's engines too for comparison):

IMG_3379

I painted the kit's engines with Revell 374, and the PAS engines with Humbrol 128.

The green ring inside the PAS engines are the unpainted resin:

Airbus-A320neo-pratt-and-whitney-engine-

• Like 1