Another Eduard Bf110E 1/72

Looking forward to this one.  After searching through the stash I came up with this kit:

39752790142_40f3ff9db3_b.jpg

I believe V-P is building the same kit but will make sure I don't do the same scheme.

The sprues look up the usual Eduard standard.

28006195989_ef8ea9fb4b_b.jpg

39784480341_521c517fdc_b.jpg

24914365217_c7cd8941c1_b.jpg

24923383767_5e087a214b_b.jpg

28006081289_e817f07b19_b.jpg

I am planning on building this more or less OTB but I do have this:

39784376941_79f6ae387f_b.jpg

Now the major decision left to be made is the scheme.  As I said above I won't do the same as V-P but as I think he is not doing one of the kit schemes I may still have a bit of a choice.

39784490431_0026c5b218_b.jpg

39784489771_6f983656b8_b.jpg

I am tempted by the Wespe.

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wespe is a good choice but im also a fan of the sharkmouths as well. 

Yep the sharkmouths look pretty cool.  There is also the advantage that the G9 plane at least has a simple paint scheme which may be helpful if time runs out....I am also slightly uncertain about the mottles if I go for a Wespen plane.

Decisions, decisions...

Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davek72 said:

I am tempted by the Wespe. All thoughts welcome.

the markings for this 'Wespe' are those of Oblt. Herbert Kutscha who was awarded the Ritterkreuz for his service in ZG 1 in late 1942. On the Eastern Front he became a notable 'ground-attack' pilot (SKG 210) and achieved some 22 victories on the Bf 110 (see rudder marking below). By early 1944 he was a Staffelkapitän in the Defence of the Reich on Bf 109s  (12./JG 3), but was shot down and badly injured during 'Big Week'. He returned to combat flying and in February 1945 was Kommandeur III./JG 11. Final tally of around 47 victories in approx 900 sorties.. 

kutscha.jpg 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

the markings for this 'Wespe' are those of Oblt. Herbert Kutscha who was awarded the Ritterkreuz for his service in ZG 1 in late 1942. On the Eastern Front he became a notable 'ground-attack' pilot (SKG 210) and achieved some 22 victories on the Bf 110 (see rudder marking below). By early 1944 he was a Staffelkapitän in the Defence of the Reich on Bf 109s  (12./JG 3), but shot down and badly injured during 'Big Week'. He returned to combat flying and in February 1945 was Kommandeur III./JG 11. Final tally of around 47 victories in approx 900 sorties.. 

kutscha.jpg 

Thank you that is really interesting background and Is definitely influencing the decision making process....

Top photo as well...could make an interesting diorama...

Dave

• Like 2

Gotta go with what some others have said - the sharkmouth looks ...well...just so....cool  (and the faux Iraqi markings are quite a change from the usual ones)

(Though the Wespen is also nice...allows you to have some fun with winter distemper....)

Either way - it's a great kit.  Should go together well.

Philip

Cheers Philip

Its nice to have some good scheme options I will ponder as I build...until of course I reach the crunch point and then I will have to decide...or throw a dart 😉

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Despite the lack of posts I have made some progress albeit quite slow....

The basic cockpit is now complete...how much photo etch?  I alternate between loving the stuff and hating it but you have to hand it to Eduard their stuff is lovely...if sometimes very very small (the knobs on the instrument panel and the pilots rudder pedals being two notable examples.

28151765399_8cba361795_b.jpg

As you can see I left it on the sprue to assist handling.

Some close ups:

28151763359_1c4780c0b6_b.jpg

39033558205_b6a1b94700_b.jpg

39899370212_5177d22f47_b.jpg

I used various Mig Ammo washed to try and add some depth and variety.  Hopefully it looks a bit lived in but I may add a little more weathering before it all gets closed up.

Cheers for looking.

Dave

• Like 13

Shall be watching this one.  I have one at a similar point in construction but it doesn't look as nice as yours, mainly because I defaced Eduard's artistry with Humbrol's ghastly RLM 02 "paint".  May still strip it all off and redo in Revell acrylic.  I think the 110s and Hellcats were a sweet spot for Eduard: beautifully detailed and engineered but before they got carried away with themselves and overcomplicated their models, improving detail to awesome levels but at the expense of building pleasure.

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Shall be watching this one.  I have one at a similar point in construction but it doesn't look as nice as yours, mainly because I defaced Eduard's artistry with Humbrol's ghastly RLM 02 "paint".  May still strip it all off and redo in Revell acrylic.  I think the 110s and Hellcats were a sweet spot for Eduard: beautifully detailed and engineered but before they got carried away with themselves and overcomplicated their models, improving detail to awesome levels but at the expense of building pleasure.

Hi Seahawk thank you for watching and for commenting. I am not familiar with Humbrol RLM02 paint although I am constantly confused by the different shades of RLM02 there are out there.  I use Vallejo and to my eye it’s far to green but then I have seen photos that seem to support the colour. 

I have not built an Eduard Hellcat but am impressed by this Bf110  kit.  I agree though  I built a 1/48 Eduard FW190 last year and it was a nightmare in terms of over engineering.  

Dave

• Like 1

Well done Dave! I haven't followed this GB yet so have missed your thoughts about the paint scheme I'll be using. Very thoughtful, thank you, but I think its the first come, first served principle that rules so you're free to pick your scheme 👍. V-P

On 29/01/2018 at 8:19 AM, PlaStix said:

Nice work in the cockpit. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix.  

Too much work and a mini break with Mrs K has slowed me down slightly but hope to return to the workbench this evening.  

Dave

• Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 5:04 AM, vppelt68 said:

Well done Dave! I haven't followed this GB yet so have missed your thoughts about the paint scheme I'll be using. Very thoughtful, thank you, but I think its the first come, first served principle that rules so you're free to pick your scheme 👍. V-P

Cheers V-P I am sure there are schemes a plenty for both of us.  How is your build coming?  Hope you are able to post more soon.  

Dave

• Like 1

A little more progress....

....the side walls complete with more PE....

25301646477_ac693b4c9e_b.jpg

And now partially closed up.

40140562032_f29e1fd2a4_b.jpg

Its all gone together rather nicely so far.  Typical Eduard....but without the overcomplications of some of their kits 😉

Cheers for looking.

Dave

• Like 2

Dave, it would be just stupid of me not to let you first show me how to build this kit :thumbsup:. On the other hand, it will be stupid of me to take pics of my build and post them, after your superb example; but lucky me, I've been down that road before :pilot:.

BTW the 109 is done and the ship is very close to finish too. No decals at all :yahoo: V-P

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Dave, it would be just stupid of me not to let you first show me how to build this kit :thumbsup:. On the other hand, it will be stupid of me to take pics of my build and post them, after your superb example; but lucky me, I've been down that road before :pilot:.

BTW the 109 is done and the ship is very close to finish too. No decals at all :yahoo: V-P

Hey VP thank you for your kind words but plenty of time to *£&# it up yet 😜

Well done on the 109 have you posted anything?   

Dave