Bernie Wrightsons Frankenstein

On the first of January 1818 "Frankenstein,or the modern Prometheus" was published ,and with it,one could argue the birth of the science fiction era,In 1983 acclaimed American illustrator Bernie Wrightson,with Marvel comics, released the novel with his beautiful illustrations ,a hardback version was released in 1983 and 2008.

MFveRi.jpg

In 1995 Sideshow released a vinyl model of the creature and its creator,a kit that these days commands an extremely high price(usually about £500.00)and even at the time was prohibitively expensive ,So imagine my surprise when in Morecambe market (of all places) I came across a bagged version with no box or instructions for sale for £75.00,Not having been born yesterday,my suspicion was aroused to the legitimacy of the kit,the dealer claimed he had bought it as part of a job lot,and had no idea of its Provence ,My cynicism got £25.00 knocked off the price,so home it came.

Initial inspection seemed to confirm my fears that this was a knock off with badly warped pieces,especially the base(however further research  showed that this was a problem with the original kit as well) So into the cupboard it went.

Five long years passed before I plucked up the courage to have a go at this vinyl monstrosity.

Having wrestled with what to do about the base,and having tried various ways to strengthen it (all dismal failures) I decided to go for the nuclear option,that was to replace the base with a real wooden one and cut out all the features from the vinyl base and re-site on the new base.

kJJvm4.jpg

Having gone better than anticipated I began building up the figures and features(which went surprisingly well,So once again unsure on the models legitimacy)

HfhWVP.jpg

One of the spurs to get me building this kit was the awareness that Bernie Wrightson died last year,i had always greatly admired his skills as an artist,not only on Frankenstein,but Swamp Thing,and the Stephen King short story "Cycle of the Werewolf"

• Like 7

Watched the old Boris Karloff Frankenstein on the 1st to celebrate the books launch... been making my way through the other films and built a small collection of books on the subject.

Fantastic looking kit... never seen this before. :)

• Like 2

Great work so far. I know there was a ton of work involved in getting all of that up off the base. I did think about doing that with mine but with so many kits to build and so little time I strengthened the underneath with wood.

• Like 1

Cheers GS !

Must admit to having a ton of fun painting up this kit,While not to everyone's taste,I give you the "Viscera bucket" and "Mr Half face"

NB9dJl.jpg

I think the sculptor has added a Boris Karloff look to the face,which is a nice touch.

• Like 6

Thanks Gents!

Getting to the end game on this ,started to place items on the base,as i had to cut a few of them from the original flooring I've placed them in different positions,The rather charming "Half face" was originally round the back and not really visible so its been moved to prime position.Its been blended into the base with a small amount of milliput.

4KGIwE.jpg

The glass jars are dolls house extras filled with various bits and pieces.................................and eye balls 

RPMn3s.jpg

All the main elements in place

Q4jEc7.jpg

Victors POV.

d4bVJf.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Andy

• Like 4