huvut76g7gbbui7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

I knew an armourer who was on Hunters with 2TAF. Once on deployment to Sylt, he befriended a German, who took him to the Luftwaffe side of the camp for a dip in the swimming pool. At the end of the pool were two very large doors set in the wall. When he asked what they were for, he was told to watch.

The German went through another door, and motors could be heard. The doors opened and out came the front two thirds of a U-Boat, and lowered into the water. Apparently it was a systems trainer from the Kriegsmarine days.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I spent over two of my teenage years on Sylt,from Summer1956 to Autumn 1958,and have fond memories of the varied aircraft types seen.Less fond are the memories of the harsh winters and the generally mediocre mess food.I was there when the Luftwaffe first returned,and they shared the Western side of the airfield with the other detached squadrons,which changed each month.The eastern side was the domestic and admin area,and also housed TTS and Station Flight.

The area which appears to be referred to as the German Air Force area,would,I presume,have been where the large hangar was,on the Westerland side.I can remember no swimming pool anywhere on camp,and would surely have heard of the U-boat trainer.Sounds like an interesting,but fanciful story.Now,one of our radars,when I first arrived there,was a type 15/1,which had a painted reference to having landed shortly after D-day.That,and the last Tempest and Mosquito tugs were the most historical items there.

Chap who told me was an armorer on Hunters by the name of Wheatley. Died a few years ago, so I can't get anymore details. Was the last chap in town to sell model kits. Took over the shop from his in laws when he came out of the RAF.

Thanks for replying.It's a pity that there can be no more to the story,but I think that it was a bit fanciful.The pictures that you published brought back memories,but I was surprised not to see any pictures of the ex-245 Squadron Meteors operated by TTS.There were four or five of them,still sporting refuelling probes.The TTS pilots were mainly N.C.O.pilots,and some were very experienced,but I think that the R.A.F.was phasing out non-commissioned pilots at the time.Our new C.O.blotted his copy-book soon after his arrival,by borrowing a Meteor to show us his brilliant flying skills.Unfortunately,as he taxied in, he retracted the undercarriage instead of the flaps! I remember seeing a rather annoyed-looking Sergeant pilot standing on the edge of the dispersal.I think that it may have been his usual aircraft.

The Sycamores were trialled as "Crash2" emergency aircraft,supporting the Fire Section Land Rover in the event of landing accidents,but I don't think that it was a total success.The U.S.A.F.was using Huskies for the job at the time,but they had more down-draught,and were used to deflect smoke and flame.

• Like 1

Great photos!

My dad was an armourer on 2 Squadron Hunters at Jever in the late 50's early 60's and used to go up to Sylt on occasion, at least thats what my mum tells me, leaving her back at base with 3 young boys and a baby girl (I was yet to appear!!).

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1