Photobucket Have Seen The Error of Their Ways

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Trouble is the horse has bolted. The damage they have done to forums and members will not endear them. All the pictures that have been removed already. It's not as though a flick of the switch will restore things to how they were.

This 100%.  An initial very stupid decision and who is to say that they won't have a change of mind again....?

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 7:44 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Trouble is the horse has bolted. The damage they have done to forums and members will not endear them. All the pictures that have been removed already. It's not as though a flick of the switch will restore things to how they were.

Bang on. They made a monumental balls up with all this and this is just them scrambling after losing most of their users. As somebody else so succinctly put it, stuff 'em.

I'm on Imgur now and am thoroughly satisfied with it, in fact it's much better and faster than PB was.

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2

I use Imageshack.  $35. a year U.S., unlimited everything.  $99 a year when it used to be $35 a year for PB, AND  they cut me off when I had a half year left to go on my previous deal.

PB can bite me!

OK, call me a mug, but I have decided to give PB some dosh and try and recover the access to the hundreds of photos that I have uploaded to PB and made available to view here. Did I agree with their increase in fees to an astonishing $400? NO! Of course not, but as a mate of mine suggested this evening, $99 is a full tank of gas, so I decided that it would be easier to upgrade and just continue using my old account.

So, let's see... Can you all see this? I certainly can, but please carry on reading...

DSC_2652_zpsgxew5z2z.jpg

But, and here's the big BUT, can you see the photos in the following thread?

I can't and still keep seeing the original ransom note or place holder for the photos that were there. So am I correct in saying that PB only allows 3rd party hosting on new posts on forums such as this? If so then I am fecking angry......... I'll be sending an appropriately worded email to them in a short while after I've settled down a little.

All I wanted was to 'reveal' the original photos, had I known that they would still not be visible, but only new ones will be, then I'd certainly not have paid.

Hi Trevor, so I assume that you can see the engine detail of the Fokker D.VII hanging from the Dübendorf museum in Switzerland, but can you see the photos of the Sopwith Snipe model in the linked thread?

17 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

It works! No ransom demands and no clues as to PB graciously allowing you to share your pix!

Trevor 

Sorry!

Yes to Dubendorf but no to the Snipe - the latter still has the ransom note.

Can I suggest that you go back to that thread and put in a comment, so that we can go into the thread and see if we can see the photos that way?

Trevor

33 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Can I suggest that you go back to that thread and put in a comment, so that we can go into the thread and see if we can see the photos that way?

Sorry, Trevor, I'm not sure that I know what you mean?

I can see some of the pictures in your Snipe thread, everything from the Third picture in Post #9 (Looks like a grey Fuel Tank) The preceding shots are still the PB ransom demand. 

If you go to your Snipe thread and post an entry, that will bring it up to page 1 so making it easier for us to find it! That way we can look at the thread directly, rather than via your link above. Don’t know if that makes a difference but it’s worth a try.

Trevor

Thanks guys. Trevor, I've done that (it's in the Aircraft > Work in Progress section) but there seems to be only half of the linked photos showing. All photos are still showing in my Photobucket library, they were never deleted. I have got hundreds of photos on this site in various areas, so maybe it just takes to filter through?

Just checked a few of my other threads from a few years ago, the photos seem to be showing again on these:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234919847-ducati-desmosidici-gp4-pramac-dantin/&tab=comments#comment-1048764

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974257-the-148-catalina-wip-thread-two-for-the-price-of-one/&

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974162-first-of-2015-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-15-tamiya-148/&tab=comments#comment-1851260

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976739-finished-accurate-miniatures-148-douglas-dauntless-sbd-1-yellow-wings/

But there are still loads of photos in the Snipe thread, here that are not showing.

Oh well, it looks as if most of the old photos are back and no problems with posting new ones. $99 well spent..... I think. :think:

Perhaps it is taking a little while for your renewed account to propagate around the network Mark.  It might be worth checking it again in about 24 hours, it might all return by then?

Mike

• Like 1

I logged into Extortionbucket today, deleted all my photos and then closed the account, leaving a nice comment on the "why do you want to close the account?" box..

What an exercise. Half of all the mouse clicks needed were to close advertising pop-ups.

Interestingly I noticed the account was 2 (TWO!)Gb. Flikr is proving 1 Tb for free. A bit of a difference right there and less ads!

Morning all!

I’ve just checked the Snipe thread and all the photographs I originally posted are now visible, no ransom demands! As Mike (Bootneck) suggested above, it looks like it was a ‘WWW Propagation’ thing; I am sure there is a more technical term!

Thanks for your help everyone. Yes, it’s expensive, yes the storage isn’t as big as others, although my 2,000+ photos only take up 2% of my upgraded storage now, as opposed to the 54% they used to on my free account. I’ll see how it goes for the next year, if I’m happy then I’ll stay with them. If not I’ll be back asking for your advice on where to head off to next!

• Like 1

Glad you’re sorted out now. I moved to Flickr and once I got the hang of it, I’ve had no problems since. An advantage (using my iPhone at least) is that if I need a photo from my PB account, I can post it immediately to Flickr with a few taps. Reset the photo setting to public, tap the URL and paste to the post.

Trevor

• Like 1

Interestingly none of my stuff was blocked by Photobucket. I kept expecting them to catch up with me but it never happened. Perhaps it was because I paid them to go 'ad-free' or maybe because instead of sending them a vituperative letter I wrote a polite note suggesting that if they charged a more reasonable amount they could keep their customers. Having said that I now expect to see my stuff blocked until I shell out the $99.

I did try using FlickR but found it lacked the, for me, the important facility of allowing folders and sub-folders.

John

4 minutes ago, John R said:

did try using FlickR but found it lacked the, for me, the important facility of allowing folders and sub-folders.

Folders on Flickr are called Albums.