Interior colour

Mariner1972

Hi all, 

I am just about to start with building a 1/350 Trumpeter USS Franklin CV13. This is my 1st air craft carrier i am trying to build. I have already completeted my Air Wing ,now the task of the ship itself. I have noticed there's a lot of openings to look inside . Does anyone know the general interior colour? F.S ? I tend to use Vallejo paints. I know there's a lot of topics regarding the correct outside colours (5-N, 20-B etc) but nothing for interior. Any ideas? I was planning on gull grey?

cheers.

I am presuming that you are referring to the hangar area?  My understanding is that the hangar walls were painted white, the lighting wasn't the best during the war period and as much reflective light would have been needed for working in there.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

US carrier hangar bay bulkheads and overheads were typically 5-U white but I've seen photos inside Yorktown (CV-5) that looked a lot like aluminium paint.

Hangar deck plate was typically 20B unlike the flight decks.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, thanks for the info. White it is. Now just need to get the correct USN colours for the razzle dazzle camo. I've researched this a lot on the web and there's a lot of conflicting views to get the right shades. I try to get the equivalent F.S numbers so I can get the nearest Vallejo. Going to be a tricky camo to paint .

http://www.usndazzle.com/design.php?category=1&class=1&design_num=6A&designed_for_type=CV&designed_for_num=9

That's Measure 32, Design 6A so I'm not sure why you're finding conflicting information about it. That said, I've never looked.

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_32.htm

All colour names are listed above. I don't believe anyone knows more about US Navy camouflage colours than John Snyder and Randy Short's combined knowledge.

• Like 1

"Franklin was commissioned in 6A on Jan 31 1944.  However, by the time she left for the Pacific (3 months later) the port side had been repainted into a different design - design 3A.  Therefore, for the period from May 5 1944 to Nov 28 1944, Franklin's camouflage designation was 32/6A-3A.  She was the only carrier to wear a pattern composed from two different designs.  Structurally Franklin's bridge was extended and the hangar catapult removed when her port side design was reworked."  Source: USN Camouflage of the WW2 Era 2: Fleet Carriers (Floating Drydock, long, long, ago).

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Seahawk , that's what I thought . One side was one measure while the other was so thing else. I've seen some footage with simular camo to the plan I put the link to. Also I've watched the documentary on Netflix about the Franklin. Where the captain blamed a lot of men jumping off the ship.after the kamocarzi ( spelling?)

They had a good reason too! . He seemed liked a completely utter idiot compared to the previous captain. They were shunned for jumping off.

Edited by Mariner1972