Zebra's Mil Mi-10

32 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I should take a leaf out of your book and resist the urge to drink'n'model.

Don't get me wrong, there was a bit of drink'n'model but I decided the undercarriage would need a clear head and steady hand!

Not an update today (although I've done a little sanding and polishing and assembled a couple more components) but a question: 

Given what I intend to do with it, does this count as aftermarket?

Cargo for the Mi-10!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Wouldn't it be the cargo equivalent of a Hasagawa weopons set? :like:

I like your thinking!

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Looks like you've  sanded the bejesus out of it z, and beat it into submission to boot,ace job,  this is going to be good

Glynn

Cheers Glynn. Getting the fuselage together has been much easier than expected. Once I’ve got the undercarriage done it should be downhill all the way.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

A strange bit rather nice beast, and you seem to be getting the better of it. I like that idea of the MiG -15 as cargo.

Thanks Jabba. The MiG is a much more interesting load than a truck, although if I had more time I’d have contemplated scratch building the purpose-built missile launcher.

And perhaps with the MiG I get to count it separately towards my goal of 10 completed models in 2018! Which has me thinking that when it sits on its own it’ll be out of the box with no aftermarket, as soon as it goes on the Mi-10’s platform it becomes 100% aftermarket. Kind of like Schrodinger’s MiG!

• Like 1

A small step but still significant progress tonight - first stage of attaching the undercarriage. These two parts went on fairly easily, formed a pretty solid join, and are pretty symmetrical (there's a tiny - probably less than 0.25mm - difference in height between the two sides). A bit of filler needed, so I've got that on and will clean it up before progressing with the undercarriage tomorrow. 

Mi-10 WIP

Mi-10 WIP

• Like 7

Not a huge modelling day today, but for a very good reason - went to see 'Star Wars in Concert' - a showing of Star Wars with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra playing all the music, which was pretty awesome. They even played the 20th Century Fox theme at the start.

Still made some significant progress - front undercarriage is done. As with much of this kit, there's not much to help positively locate the parts so you have to think through your approach. I decided not to care too much about perfect symmetry but to get things looking approximately symmetrical, but to make sure everything is the same height on each side. Even then it won't be perfect so when the time comes I'll probably have to even things out by filing a bit off a few wheels.

So I started by attaching all but the long vertical struts and getting them looking approximately symmetrical and securely attached. It helps to attach the parts the right way round first time, which I didn't do! But once that mistake was corrected I got everything solidly attached - a small blob of superglue to support each joint helped. Then I attached the vertical strut on one side, waited until the glue had fully set, and then supported it on a couple of paint jars (the flat belly really helps with this) so that the strut wasn't weight-bearing, and adjusted the length of the other strut until the gap between the bottom of the strut and the cutting mat was the same on both sides before gluing the other strut. It all seems to be pretty rigid - I think it's going to be strong enough to support the model. Here's how it looks tonight:

Mi-10 WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Did they play Duel of the Fates? I know that movie gets a lot of flak, but it's my favorite song.  Was the Imperial March and Binary Sunset well done?

It was A New Hope so Duel of the Fates wasn’t played. I didn’t realise the Imperial March isn’t in the first film either - but at the end they announced they’re going to be doing Empire Strikes Back in December and played it. Everything they played was superbly done.

Funny thing was that when they were playing the incidental music it was easy to forget the music was coming from the orchestra, but when the big iconic pieces - like the binary sunset - came up the orchestra was amazing. And that first note of the main theme, right at the start, was hair raising!

• Like 2

That’s looking pretty awesome and a tad sinister too. Putting on the undercarriage gives it that ‘predatory’ look.

As to the Star Wars evening, that must have sounded spine tingling! Max H junior said that although Disney have bought the franchise they could still ‘do’ the 20th Century Fox into because they’ve bought them too.

Trevor Ben Kenobi

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s looking pretty awesome and a tad sinister too. Putting on the undercarriage gives it that ‘predatory’ look.

As to the Star Wars evening, that must have sounded spine tingling! Max H junior said that although Disney have bought the franchise they could still ‘do’ the 20th Century Fox into because they’ve bought them too.

Trevor Ben Kenobi

Thanks Trevor Ben Kenobi! Yes it does look a bit predatory doesn’t it? Someone else said insect-like and I can see that too. It’s certainly a bit different from everything else I’ve ever built.

As for Star Wars - spine tingling describes it pretty well!

Rear undercarriage today. This is where clearer instructions would have been helpful! Each side has 5 parts - a frame that attaches to the lower fuselage, then two V-shaped pieces that attach to the first frame and join together at the other end. The top of the main vertical strut attaches where the V pieces join and also attaches to the end of the lower frame. Then there's a bracing strut that attaches to the upper fuselage. There are 3 problems with the instructions - firstly at least two of the parts are numbered incorrectly (the main frames - it would have you attach them to the wrong side of the fuselage), then it's not at all clear which way round the V pieces go (not helped by the uncertainty the wrong numbering of the other parts introduced - were these on the wrong side as well?), and it would be helpful if there were some clear diagrams showing what it should look like when finished. And of course there's very little to enable a good positive location of the parts.

The photographs and drawings in the Yefim Gordon book were helpful - they helped to identify the angle the undercarriage should sit at when finished, and to confirm that the parts were numbered wrongly (the main struts should be angled to the rear, following the instructions would have had them pointing the wrong way). You still have to be careful with photographs - a lot of the photographs are of prototypes and the undercarriage was modified in the production version. 

So a bit of trial and error was needed - the two things I was now sure of were which of the larger frames went on which side, and which of the main vertical struts went on which side - so it was a matter of working out which combinations of V pieces worked on each side. 

The other thing I could have done with was at least one more hand. It was a fiddly operation - two hands wasn't quite enough.

As with the forward struts, I got everything in place on one side and glued it with Tamiya extra thin, then added a little superglue to strengthen the joints. Then to the other side, anticipating that I would have to adjust it so that it would sit properly.

Miraculously, no adjustments were needed. All four legs sit evenly on the ground together - there's no wobble at all. The whole thing is pretty rigid and seems to easily hold the weight of the fuselage. Getting it done has been a bit of a faff, but not the tough job I was expecting. 

Next job will be to attach the external fuel tanks and a few other external bits, then time to start painting. After that the rotors, platform, and Schrodinger's MiG.

Here's how it looks tonight:

Mi-10 WIP

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 11

Not so much modelling time this weekend thanks to no.1 child's 9th birthday and his laser tag party yesterday (a lot of fun. got to shoot a lot of children!) but made some progress - got the external fuel tanks on, and a few other external bits - and hit a bit of a milestone today by getting the primer on. A few things to clean up on the fuselage but not too much, so hopefully this week I'll get a little time to get that done and get some proper painting done next weekend.

Will start to slow down a little as there are now 3 group builds running in parallel that I want to take part in - this, the 737 STGB, and Hawker (although I've still not decided what I'm building for Hawker) - but this will be the main priority for now. In any case I'm really pleased with the progress I've made so far - should be able to get this done by 30 May even with the other builds going on.

Here's how it looks tonight:

Mi-10 - primer on

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Looking good under a coat of primer!  The fuselage looks surprisingly elegant to me

Yes, seems like it ought to be uglier! If it wasn’t for the long undercarriage it would look kind of sleek.

Hi Zebra

Really enjoying watching this one come together. I see you have bought a Mig for your cargo, but thought the attached might be of interest if you decided to build something similar 

IMG_3775

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Thought just popped into my mind- the undercarriage on this would be an excellent exercise in 3d printing. A one-piece frame would be quite strong!

Great to see one of these built. I bet there are a LOT of these kits sitting on shelves of doom, sans undercarriage...

Will

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Zebra

Really enjoying watching this one come together. I see you have bought a Mig for your cargo, but thought the attached might be of interest if you decided to build something similar 

IMG_3775

cheers Pat

That would look great under an Mi-10!

57 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

Thought just popped into my mind- the undercarriage on this would be an excellent exercise in 3d printing. A one-piece frame would be quite strong!

Great to see one of these built. I bet there are a LOT of these kits sitting on shelves of doom, sans undercarriage...

Will

I think you'd be right about 3D printing. The kit frame actually seems quite strong built up, the real advantage would be that you only need two hands to fit it to the fuselage!

not sure about the shelf of doom - if you've got the fuselage together surely you'd have an "I've survived that, I can do this!" carry on with grim determination attitude to it!

Thanks @modelling minion!

Not much of an update this weekend. My Dad is visiting so not so much modelling time (spent a fair bit of time in the kitchen - he needs a decent meal - has to feed himself these days, amazed he’s still alive!). Did manage to clean up a few flaws and add a little filler to a couple of seams I wasn’t happy with, and get more primer on. I think I’m in for a busy week at work and Dad’s here for 2 more weekends so progress might be slow for a couple of weeks. 

Next thing to think about will be painting, in particular whether to weather. Photos often seem to show Mi-10s were pretty clean but most photos seem to have been of prototypes. I find it hard to believe these helicopters would have spent much time in hangars so they’d have been exposed to the elements. So maybe I should go for a bit of a faded look.

• Like 1