Zebra's Mil Mi-10

20 hours ago, Grandboof said:

One big chopper A 4WD instead of the Mig the ultimate weekend escape machine room for the whole tribe . Seriously though it looks awesome 

Martin H

Thanks Martin. I think a 4WD would be easier to park than the Mi-10 though.

A bit of a setback today. Got the undercarriage onto the MiG and then set about sticking it to the cargo platform, only to find the undercarriage is too wide for the platform. So there goes that plan - will have to find another cargo. I'm open to suggestions - quite like the idea of an armoured car or similar - it would need to be under 3.2m IRL.

Meanwhile I'm going to press on with finishing the Mi-10 on the basis that I can display it without cargo until I find something to put underneath it. Various small fiddly bits to add, will get it done over the next couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

A pity to lose the MiG :(.  I can't remember now, did you have a photo of the Mi-10 carrying a 15?

Cliff

Yes - there's a photo on the 1st page of this thread showing the MiG-15 on the cargo platform, and it looks like the helicopter is landing above it to pick it up. Anyway, not to worry, I'll think of something else to stick underneath it.

• Like 1

I've spent a bit of time away from the Mi-10 getting on with other builds - 5 group builds at the same time requires a bit of juggling, but I've now finished my builds in two of them and it's starting to look doable after all. So back to the Mi-10 today and got the cargo platform attached. Quite a fiddly job - up there with rigging a biplane - not helped by the less than obvious location of the struts and the need to get the platform positioned just right and keep it there without nudging it throughout. 

Onto the home stretch now. Not got around to ordering cargo for it yet, will get to that, meanwhile there are some fiddly external bits to attach still - but the end is definitely in sight.

Thanks for looking

Z

Mi-10 WIP

Mi-10 WIP

• Like 11

It's been a little while since my last update. Not much progress to report: I had set about some of the external details, but some (ok, a lot) of the parts are too fine for the brittle plastic - it's next to impossible to get them off the sprue and cleaned up without breaking them. I need to buy some plastic or brass rod of the right thickness for some of these parts. Others, to be honest, I won't be bothering with. If I can get the stuff I need I should make some progress - maybe even finish it - at the weekend.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Calling this done. Efforts to make the last few external details from scratch didn't work out very well so I've decided to live without them - I may yet come back to it and have another go another time - but I'm pretty happy with this model without them. More photos in the gallery.

thanks for looking

Z

1/72 Mi-10

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looks great finished Z. :thumbsup:

Might we see it at Expo in June?

Thanks Ray. Wish I could be at Expo but I’ll be overseas.