On 7/27/2018 at 10:03 AM, One-Two said:

Unfortunately, I was unable to find this Lifecolor UA515 in my local hobby shops and since the other colors I'll be using (for topside) are from Gunze Mr.Hobby, I decided to use for the underside also a Mr. Hobby paint - and the one closest to RaduB recommendation that I could find was Mr.Hobby H314.

It looks that is has more of that duck-egg shade in it, when comparing with the LifecolorUA515 - but hey, nothing is definitive or sure about this issue.

Thanks for looking and cheers,

I bought Hataka C293 FS25550 for my IAR.

Edited by JBZ
  • Thanks 1

It's too late now for this one, but thanks JBZ for the tip...Hataka is better represented in my local hobby shops so I will most probably use your suggestion in the future.

In the meantime, I continued with the upper camouflage colors. This type of camouflage it is a first for me so it took a while to find the right way of masking.

In the end, I used a combination of blu-tack and masking tape.

fe6a1e91-a075-4235-9e20-bef771230f53.jpg

I started with the RAF Dark Earth (Mr.Hobby), using the same technique like on the underside.

First, a marble coat:

a0710e29-d2aa-4867-b123-d676e8b430be.jpg

Not the best one but this is a first for me also:)

Then some very diluted blending coats of the same RAF Dark Earth:

69a3edaa-00d8-44a2-9848-16878a0fe1ee.jpg

2a850b09-76a7-4bec-b49f-a2b887138b31.jpg

And this is how it looks now.

Now I'm preparing for RAF Dark Green, hope to be back soon.

Cheers,

• Like 5

In the meantime I'm trying to match the colors on the rudder with the ones from Radu's decal sheet.

I'll be using the roundels since the markings will be pre-war.

With the red I think I'm ok.

With the yellow, I intend to spray same clear orange over the flat yellow and thus I will match the color.

With the blue I tried first some Insignia blue...but it was far too dark...then I sprayed over some highly diluted French Blue (MM, gloss).

Now it's far better than before, but I'm not happy yet.

Maybe I could just let it as it is, although it seems to me that the blue from the decals is lighter then the one from the rudder.

The problem is that I don't have any other light blue color...hmmm...

c5d9eb8d-2125-4ba1-bb62-0665eda59ef3.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
21 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Any progress on this gorgeous build? I'd love to see it with the decals on!

Hi mahavelona.

Unfortunately, I put this project on hold sine I run out of steam with it.

I guess that this is what is happening when a project is taking too long to complete.

The only progress is that I also sprayed the second upper camouflage color, namely RAF dark green.

This is how it looks now, the only difference is that the mask are off.

d42e5e96-da39-414d-802c-9eec05815c46.jpg

Anyway, there is no way that I'm abandoning this one.

I'm working now on two Fw 190's and my plan is that immediately after I finish them, to go back to the IAR 80.

So hopefully I'll be back soon with this one.

Thank you for your interest and all the best,

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Ok...back on business with this project.

Hope that I'll find the time to finish it.

I managed to spray all the main colors of the camouflage. This type of cammo is a first for me, so it was some kind of learning experience.

However, now it's ready for the decals, under a protective clear gloss.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Unfortunately, I managed to break off the tail skid while masking & painting...now I have to figure out a way to repair it...

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Decals ready.

I used the dedicated decal sheet from RaduB...very good decals, no problem whatsoever.

I also repaired the tail skid, since it broke off at least two times since it was installed.

Anyway, this is how it looks now:spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Next I focused on the front engine area, which was not finished yet.

After previous work on this area and some substantial modifications, the engine looked like this:

spacer.png

So inside the cowling we can see the typical IAR K14 engine pushrods (the IAR K14 was a licensed French Rhone&Gnome engine) and some spark plugs wiring. Standard stuff for any radial.

However, the IAR 80 had a pretty complicated internal reinforcement structure installed inside of the engine cowling, designed to sustain and stiffen the entire cowling assembly.

There were some metal rods installed inside, connecting the main panels of the cowling to the engine itself. These are not at all represented in this kit but since they are quite visible if looking from the front, I decided to try replicate them.

Due to limited access constraints, I installed only the most visible of them, made from albion alloys 0.33 metal rod cut to dimensions, super-glued in place and painted dark green, same color as the cowling interior.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

Then I installed also the big cylindrical engine cover, thus finishing the front area of the plane:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As already said, the cowling reinforcement system was in reality more complicated than that, but I guess this is enough for me.  

Thanks for looking Guys and Happy New Year for all of you!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Landing gear almost ready.

spacer.png

The IAR80 had some pretty complicated ducting for the breaking circuit...I mean they were not straight lines like those of the 109's...

spacer.png

There is also some controversy regarding the color for the rigid parts of the breaking circuit (the parts that are aluminum-like now) and my understanding is that most probably these pars were painted in the same color as the gear legs/gear bays/underside color. However, since I'm trying to represent here a very early airframe (no.2), which was used for a time as a test-bed also (it was involved in at least 2 major flight  incidents which resulted in flipping on the back and damage to landing gear and more), I am very tempted to leave the breaking circuits as they are.

• Like 10

Painting stage almost finished.

I just added some wear and tear on the traffic areas and the most used access panels and some smoke, dirt and exhaust here and there.

Not too much I hope, because these machines were kept pretty clean usually.

I also installed the tri-colored rudder and the machine gun barrels. The MG's are from the Quickboost set dedicated for IAR 80.

They very delicate and infinitely better than what is offering Hobbyboss as machine gun barrels. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11

Hello @One-Two
The most amazing build of one of the most amazing aircraft in the world!
I could suggest you to maybe do an instruction for building all the batches / series of the IAR 80/81 family!
Wondering - how long it took you to finish this model? I love shake & bake builds but I have 3 IAR 80 Hobby Boss kits in my stash so I can build them one day. I know that there are lots of things to correct out there if one wants to build various series of the aircraft. I'd like to have at least 4-5 different schemes:
My favorite machines out there are (from memory):  #3 in WWII markings,  #26 pre WWII, #104 in WWII markings, #151 in WWII markings, #179 in WWII, #257 in post war markings with stars, #343 in post war markings with stars, #397 post WWII ... TOO many to choose from

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Hello @One-Two
The most amazing build of one of the most amazing aircraft in the world!
I could suggest you to maybe do an instruction for building all the batches / series of the IAR 80/81 family!
Wondering - how long it took you to finish this model? I love shake & bake builds but I have 3 IAR 80 Hobby Boss kits in my stash so I can build them one day. I know that there are lots of things to correct out there if one wants to build various series of the aircraft. I'd like to have at least 4-5 different schemes:
My favorite machines out there are (from memory):  #3 in WWII markings,  #26 pre WWII, #104 in WWII markings, #151 in WWII markings, #179 in WWII, #257 in post war markings with stars, #343 in post war markings with stars, #397 post WWII ... TOO many to choose from

Hi Milos and thanks for your kind words.

For detailed and complete information on how to build different batches on IAR80/81, I kindly suggest you to get this book:

spacer.png

You will find in it very solid information on all the various IAR 80/81 batches and all the systems and equipment which are common or different for all the series.

Regarding this subject, after working on this kit, my opinion is that the current HB offering can be used only for the early IAR 80 batches. Of course, later IAR 80 series or IAR 81 might be possible also, but only with serious modifications.

From your favorite markings, I think that you could go for no.3 and no.26 using the HB kit – they are both early airframes with 4-gun wings, but you need new decals for them…please see the link to the suited product, dedicated to this subject:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_66&products_id=707

No.2 – the one I’m currently building is from the same decal sheet.

Since you mentioned that you have 3 IAR 80’s in your stash, please be advised that the decals offered in the box are unusable in my opinion, because no.137 was a 6-gun wing (inappropriate for the 4-gun wing in the box) and in the case of no.42, the King Michael’s crosses are not correct.     

The HB kit fits pretty well and is a decent offering, but some modifications should be made in order to correctly represent an early IAR 80. I have tried to address some of them in this build, so you could use it as an information source for your future builds.

Regarding the time for this build, I started it on January 2018 and now almost 2 year later I’m not yet ready. But this is entirely my fault, because I’m a slow builder, with very limited hobby time. Of course, a more determined modeler could finish it very fast, in few days, especially if no special modifications are performed.

So Milos go ahead and build some IAR 80’s and share them here on Britmodeller with us and I’m going to watch with great interest.

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Just one slight nitpick with the ailerons and a hopefully minor correction, aerodynamically they don't make sense both being angled down.

Hello alt-92 and thank for the warning, but in the particular case of an early IAR 80, the represented position of the ailerons is correct for a parked machine.

On the first IAR 80 series (from no.1 to75, I think), the ailerons were mechanically synchronized with the flaps.

This meant that when the flaps was down (45 degrees for the early machines), the neutral line of reference for the ailerons was also lowered to a new position like 22 or 25 degrees.

So if the flaps was zero (up position), the ailerons were working in their intended role from zero degrees neutral line, but if the flaps was deployed (lowered position), the ailerons were working in their intended aerodynamically role, but from a new neutral line lowered also to 22-25 degrees (I’m speaking from my memory now).

From this new neutral position, the maximum deflection range of the ailerons was something like 4 degrees up and 46 degrees down.

This feature (ailerons synchronized with flaps) was cancelled from airframe no.75.

The flaps of the IAR 80 was hydraulically actioned, but when the machines were parked with engine stopped for a longer time, the system was slowly losing the pressure.  

As a consequence of lack of hydraulic pressure, the flaps were slowly lowering themselves to fully deployed position. And of course, for those machines with synchronized ailerons, the flap was dragging down the ailerons also, to their new lowered neutral position.

Therefore, although this looks strange indeed, this position is normal for a parked early IAR 80, with the stick left in neutral position in the cockpit.

Thank you all guys for your interest and comments,

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On the first series of IAR-80, the aileron axis was linked to the flaps, in order to increase their efficiency at low speed, so when the flaps were fully deployed, the entire axis of the ailerons rotated , so even though they might seem both lowered, the ailerons are actually around their zero position in this case :) They still operated in reverse of each other, just their zero position was much lowered.

According to the manuals, when the flaps were retracted, the ailerons had a +26 to - 24 degrees freedom. When the flaps were lowered, the ailerons freedom range was shifted from +4 to -46 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"She's got legs/she knows how to use them..."...this was a ZZTop hit, if I remember correctly:)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Now that the landing gear is fixed in place I'm really getting close with this one...I still have to install the antenna mast, the gunsight, the pitot tube and the propeller and propeller boss...and maybe some touch-ups here and there...and that's it.

Soon, I hope.

• Like 5

Antenna mast and gun sight are installed.

The very early IAR 80's were provided with very simple sighting devices, in the shape of a grill-type gun sight that was mounted in front of the windshield.

Later on these were discarded and optical gun sights were installed - in most cases, these were retrofitted to the earlier airframes also.  

However, since I depict a very early machine (the second one, actually), at the beginning this was for sure provided with the grill-type gun sight.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngThe gun sight is coming from a generic Eduard PE sheet with more types of sights and I choose the one which was closer to the real thing.

The antenna mast was made from Albion Alloys brass tubing. It is entering in the cockpit through a hole in the upper-right corner of the windshield and going behind the IP, through a hole in the horizontal shelf on which the IP is fixed (part of the Yahu dedicated PE IAR 80 early instrument panel), and finally sitting on the lower part of the interior fuselage.

The fit is so tight that no glue was needed to fix the antenna mast in place.  

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...