1/72 Airfix Harrier GR.3

Very late to the party here, but Copydex contains ammonia, which reacts badly with acrylics (if there's enough ammonia present, it will strip the paint completely). I use a liquid frisket (Schmincke) instead, which doesn't contain ammonia and does the job nicely. It's also blue, so I can see where I put it!

• Like 1

:surprised:Neal, a Harrier GR.3 all with "zee" transponder bulge under "they're" LRMTS nose; me likes! If only it were 1/48th scale...

Still hanker after the Missing Link resin bit, but it's nowhere to be found. 

Yeh, me does.

Cheers,

Unc2

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2018 at 7:27 PM, Courageous said:

41143271821_f11193c197_b.jpg

I notice that something has effected your grey paint. Was this caused by your Blue/ White Tac and Copydex. If so, how did you get rid of it as I was toying with the idea of painting Copydex on to produce 'hard' demarcation between colours?

Stuart

Hi Courageous, 

First of all sorry I never saw this post until now so apologies for not replying sooner. Then regarding the tide marks you can get those with blu/white tack anyhow so never thought about it being the copydex per se that caused an issue, I think that I had not fully covered my pre-shade in places hence why its dark in patches.

I hope this helps.

Neal

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, Steve Coombs said:

Very late to the party here, but Copydex contains ammonia, which reacts badly with acrylics (if there's enough ammonia present, it will strip the paint completely). I use a liquid frisket (Schmincke) instead, which doesn't contain ammonia and does the job nicely. It's also blue, so I can see where I put it!

Hi Steve, I was under the impression that Copydex did not have ammonia in it, I’ve used it quite a bit on canopies that have been dipped in future without any of the adverse effects encountered using Maskol. Having just had a look at the copydex data sheet it does say a “low ammonia” on it. But I may have to have a look at the liquid frisket you mention though.

On 3/23/2019 at 3:43 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

:surprised:Neal, a Harrier GR.3 all with "zee" transponder bulge under "they're" LRMTS nose; me likes! If only it were 1/48th scale...

Still hanker after the Missing Link resin bit, but it's nowhere to be found. 

Yeh, me does.

Cheers,

Unc2

Thank you for the kind feedback, I believe that a decent 1/48 GR.3 is in the pipeline from Kinetic so maybe I’ll build one of those in the future.

• Like 1