DoT's Gulf Air L1011 Tristar

I may well regret this but as the Beastie Boys said "as long as I learn, I will make mistakes". So here goes.......

tn_2848c79b-0abb-4b35-9450-bab63904c2fe.tn_4f21613a-908d-40a4-8f33-4be0c949e604.

the obligatory sprue shot and a blurry(sorry) shot of the 26Decals decals and instructions and the Metallic Details PE set and instructions. Now all I have to do is build and paint a model in three months, how hard can that be??...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dadofthree said:

Now all I have to do is build and paint a model in three months, how hard can that be??...

You would be surprised.

Just a quick heads up regarding the fuselage sections.  A bit of careful sanding of the mating surfaces between front and rear sections will result in a remarkably good joint between the two components.  I have joined the front and rear sections  and then assembled both completed halves. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do not fear Gents, my panic mode is not set to Flap-Con One yet!

6 hours ago, stringbag said:

You would be surprised.

Just a quick heads up regarding the fuselage sections.  A bit of careful sanding of the mating surfaces between front and rear sections will result in a remarkably good joint between the two components.  I have joined the front and rear sections  and then assembled both completed halves. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Chris.

I've got three models on the go that are all touching the 6 year mark for construction and are nowhere near done:headbang:. I noticed that the tail end looks like a good fit already, just need to get the fuselage mating surfaces nice and flat.

Edited by dadofthree
Typo

Nice choice. One of the airliners of my childhood, much more interesting than today's endless stream of A330s! This kit's on my 'maybe I need to get one of these' list so I'm looking forward to seeing how it builds.

• Thanks 1

Stringbag, your opinion is valid I won't fault it. Viking's beauty is the reason why I have one. Both the decal set and engine faults he points out seem to have been rectified in the edition I have. My recommendation is mainly for the kit, not strictly the kit/decal combo as other liveries are available. 

Edited by dadofthree

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to squeeze some modelling time in but my 4 SWMBOs (wife + 3 girls) have been keeping me busy, HOW DARE THEY!

But nonetheless my work so far...

tn_1879d074-84e1-4598-b294-b40123ed4d56.

there is a fair bit of flash on all the edges and I had to take the sanding drum on my multitool to the horizontal stabilizers on the inside due to a conspicuous gap round the edges. I'm currently working on the fuselage which is ever so slightly like a pair of bananas, joy!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...