Various 1/350 work in progress (an introduction of sorts)

Sal82

Hi all

I guess this is sort of an introductory post to these boards besides the one in the new members section. Anyway: here are a few images of current projects. Most very close to being finished. I figure I'd wait with proper posts on the Ready for Inspection board untill they are completely done and proper photos have been taken.

First up: The model that got me back into the hobby after more than 20 years. I came across a cheap 1/350 Missouri at a second hand store . I always wanted one of those big models as a child and at £3 it was too good to pass on. I upgraded the model with Eduard photoetch and a Pontos deck. Lits of firsts, like using an airbrush and oils for weathering, and obvious mistakes were made. But all in all a fun learning process! :)

missouri1.jpg
missouri2.jpg

HMS Anchusa with the WEM upgrade kit. I think I might have overdone the weathering slightly on this model, but I wanted it to look really beaten up as I don't imagine these humble ships saw as much maintanence as the larger warships in the fleet.
The Mountbatten Pink was an interesting challenge. The original color made the model very dark, so in the end I decided to lighten it with a neutral grey with just a hint of pinkish basecolor, to represent the sun's bleaching effect on red colors in particular.
(Oh and yes: Not sure about that anti fouling paint colorc on the lower hull: I just thought it'd be nice to do something different than red for a change. The radar lantern is also incorrect. It is not firmly attached. I just left it there for the photoshoot, because I think it looks cool. ;) )

anchusa1.jpganchusa2.jpg
anchusa3.jpg

My take on Trumpeter's HMS Zulu, using WEM photoetch, and upgraded main armanent from North Star Models and Micro Master on Shapeways. I also replaced the kit's wrong boats with 3d print and changed the main masts to brass for increased stability.
zulu.jpg

A WIP of the Grand Old Lady Warspite with Pontos upgrades Unfortunately I have yet to get sufficient lightig conditions to shoot a good 3/4 view of the larger ship models.

warspite.jpg

AFV Club Type VIIC Uboat with a couple of North Star crewmen. A lovely little kit, although in retrospect the slack on the photo etch cables doesn't look quite right to me...and maybe I should have dusted the model before photographing :P Oh well.
uboat1.jpguboat2.jpg

Eboat from the Prinz Eugen kit, using WEM detail. Only upon arrival did I realize that the WEM set isn't really meant for this particular model and that the railings are too short, so I had to experiment a bit. I think a couple of crewmen like on the Uboat would finish it of nicely though.

eboat1.jpgeboat2.jpg

Edited by Sal82
  • Like 15

warspite1.jpg
Thank you for your kind words.

I snapped a pic of the Warspite showing the ship in it's entirety. I recently got some sheets of signal flag decals, which will give a nice little touch of color to finish off the model. I am still debating with myself whether to add crew or not: It adds a bit of life to the model, but it is also a lot of extra work :P

Edited by Sal82
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...