Tarangus AJ 37 Viggen

Thanks, I´ll have a look at that. :)  I would have been a little worried if I had used any of the resin ones since they are much bugger and more detailed. But I am not sure anything will really be seen that easily here anyways..😯 But I´ll definetly have a look on it. Part of building them is to learn more about to me, unknown things anyways!

Yeah, I will probably get there but not until next year, Spring-Summer..

• 2 weeks later...

I am really slow this time.. But had some visitors in my little apartment the last week so.. :)

30727901457_b9a0ea4604_z.jpg

A shitty pic inside.. That safety handle for the chair is really bugging me though..

44943623364_f31b71d9cc_z.jpg

Aaand.. For some reason I glued the AJSH nose cone together, just in case.. ;) I will build one since I just have a thing for these big, manly ASMs..

Filled the nose cone with 6mm lead bullets and it will need filler and stuff. But hey! I´ll need it some day so.

45617962222_e2d85ecf04_z.jpg

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

lol - I am so bad.. :)

Once again did not model anything for months, dunno why.. Too many series to watch, games to play and too much time in the gym and the trail.. But now I am back into it, again..😚

And now it IS going to be a SWAFRAP AJSF 37. I need that grey bird. Took out the recce nose and looked at the parts. Thinking about just spraying the inside black once the lenses are in place. Leaving the outsides clear and shiny - but not sure.. There will be some weights in there as well, probably needed since I have some AM stuff. Decided to use the flaperons, chaff- and flare dispensers and both camera pods.

47830680602_c505dfb974_h.jpgIMG_6834

Working on the RAT, plastic one for this model.

Thanks trickyrich for some needed motivation to get going again.. ;)

• Like 5

Ah you did, nice! 2nd hand or just lucky? ;) I need atleast another box - don´t have the plastics but the rest for my Di... 😎

I had planned to base coat some of the stuff - but I did not have any cotton buds at home.:! Need them..

Instead i opened some of the AM stuff and cleaned it up. They are nicely moulded, great details and not uch effort was needed to clean them up.

I am unsure about the plastic RAT-unti however. Will probably not use it(maybe the fan part, i awlays break the resin fins..). The resin part will require a bigger opening in the fuselage however..

47900486591_3308930f58_h.jpgIMG_6836

47848432302_716be9be07_h.jpgIMG_6841

• Like 5

I got lucky so to speak. The rather nifty hobbyshop in Borås is closing down and he's running clearance sale until the end of may. 50% off for everything! Since my stash is quite overflowing right now I didn't go totally crazy....

Very strange that the resin-RAT is that much larger?

Also, that extra sprute that Special Hobby offers now, is that also applicable for the AJ family?

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

I got lucky so to speak. The rather nifty hobbyshop in Borås is closing down and he's running clearance sale until the end of may. 50% off for everything! Since my stash is quite overflowing right now I didn't go totally crazy....

Very strange that the resin-RAT is that much larger?

Also, that extra sprute that Special Hobby offers now, is that also applicable for the AJ family?

Ah - are they online?

Yeah.. This is the Maestro RAT, iirc Pilot Replica´s was slightly smaller. it was different anyways. A wild guess actually makes the Maestro one too large but I could be wrong..

Oh yes! It´s got that shark fin antenna, the canards are the same, the RAT is there and there are the extra, or missing supports for the intakes etc. Can´t find it on rebell.com anymore though? 😕 Pretty sure it is in the SWAFRAP-box but not in this first recce box with the splinter Viggens at on the front.

Sorry, They closed down their page a while ago, so you just need to follow dinominhobby on facebook in order to catch their opening hours, and they are not many.

Pilot Replicas RAT looks very much like I remember that bay from back in the days. Too bad that PR stuff are getting harder and harder to come by :(, and if you do, it's very expensive!

Right, the extra sprue is needed then!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

School stuff, work, some computer gaming.. Did not do too much modelling for a while. But now it is on again. AJSF 37, SWAFRAP.. :)

50667116843_60a060782f_b.jpg

Also got myself an Sk 37E fpr cheap ("water-damaged" decals, but I have Moose Republic´s) to be built at some point. the old dream of (atleast) one of each Viggen version is back on track. ;)

50665365127_60049059fe_b.jpg

The vision right now is this AJSF, an AJSH, an Sk 37E, an AJS and another JA, this time a splinter coloured JA 37Di (there was only one Di in splinter and she is now "living close to my hometown.) But that is in the future..

• Like 3

Hmm.. I was about to get some stuff done today but my super glue bottles were solid.. I still got the canard flaps on plus the last intakes/vents on the fuselage. (Still need to use some filler at the wing edges though)

But then.. I started to think, again..

50673809457_c673ca9dba_b.jpg

The cockpit on this one is the Neomega that is for the ESCI/Airfix kit. And it is an AJ cockpit. So a radar screen which in the SF/AJSF has the camera sight thingy. And there is an RB 75 sight (Maverick, AGM-65A).

And I do not feel like grafting another Neomega cockpit into this kit very soon. It is not too bad but a bit time consuming.

Neomega´s cockpit:

50672982293_3c605e4e55_b.jpg

So I think this might become an AJS 37 after all instead. The upgraded strike fighter/attacker version of the AJ, the first Viggen-version. And that means FOA´s splinter camo.

Some more thinking made me want to do a little diorama with all the weapons options spread out around it (since I cannot decide on what to put on the aircraft really!)

50672495811_c0308ca725.jpg

Kinda like that but the Falcons were never used (RB 28), FFV´s ADEn gun pods and RB 75s are missing as well as the options added through the AJS upgrade is missing here (another 2x RB 75/Mavericks, more RB 24/24J (AIm-9Bs and AIM-9P3-ish), RB 74s(AIM-9Ls (up to four), Bk.90s, RB 15Fs etc.

50673770051_8988728c8e.jpg

I´ll probably not include the chaff- and flare pod and the jamming pod since I can use those on the AJSF 37 instead (all weapons and pods are expensive..)

I think that could look cool in the cabinet and I think I would enjoy painting those weapons options.

Last time I tried the "FOA-camo" on a JA 37, I kinda messed up. Mostly the too thick, black leading edges and the metal on the intakes. i used Gunze then but will probably try Mr Paint now..

50673798996_6b796301e5_c.jpg

I gave that one away. I´m not the best modeller/painter but I felt I could do a little better..

I have yet to make the final decision and if I do an AJS instead. I´ll just do the phot recce afterwards. I´m quite happy making Viggens right now and I can always make the odd project in between. :)

Viggens happen to be my fav aircraft after all.. ;)

50673726996_15bed9124a_b.jpg

(I´ll get another boxing soon.. ;) )

I also had a quick look at my AM stuff. You got a resin intake and strake in the recce boxes which looks a bit better than the plastic counterpart. Ditto for the fuselage pylons but those have to be bought separately. Some nicer details on them. The plastic ones aren´t great.

Res-Kit´s wheels looks really nice (I have used CMK´s in previous builds and those are fine too)

50673727531_5e48533efc_b.jpg

50673811122_e2a2a3ca9f_b.jpg

50673811692_41405060a7_b.jpg

Too much work coming up the coming week or ten days so won´t be able to do too much.. but I´ll pick up some more paints, masks ans new super glue and PVA glue!

• Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, Christer A said:

Sorry, They closed down their page a while ago, so you just need to follow dinominhobby on facebook in order to catch their opening hours, and they are not many.

Pilot Replicas RAT looks very much like I remember that bay from back in the days. Too bad that PR stuff are getting harder and harder to come by :(, and if you do, it's very expensive!

Right, the extra sprue is needed then!

Sorry, i forgot to answer you Christer.😊

Yeah I think the Pilot Replica one seems the best too but you should know much better than me. ;) The plastic one feels too small. And Maestro´s have great details but is too big. Though Max said it is the right sze but it is MUCH bigger than the plastic one..

Yeah that extra sprue is needed! For the canards if nothing else..

• Like 1

• Paramedic changed the title to Tarangus AJS 37 Viggen
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paramedic changed the title to Tarangus AJ 37 Viggen

Got myself a new H&S Evolution a week or two ago. Work kinda stopped when my old was jamming etc. I gave it to a friend that makes terrain for some table top games we play.. Cheap for him and I get a fresh!

So I painted the missiles and "bombed" up my previous build. :)

The AIM-9Ls/RB 74s came out very dark with Gunzes H308.. I mixed in some white but still very dark.. Undercoated them with Alclads grey - so maybe I was too careful with the actual paint..

The Skyflashes/RB 71s were VERY white at first. But after some Flory grey wash they became very dirty instead, lol. All of them got just the yellow stripe, no other decals. I´m raising the bar with each kit and this fits this build.. I will make a JA 37Di later on and now I have spare decals for those fiddly ones there so.. ;)

51164071001_75f654e456_h.jpg

51163406362_b51400ad68_k.jpg

Now I decided to make the first generation WIP into an AJ 37 from F 6 Wing. I did my service very close to that then not active attack wing but we flew both Tp-84s (C-130s) and Hkp 4s (Boeing Vertol 107s) from there so have fond memories of that place. Done some gruelling physics tests in the area too.. ;) That Wing holds a special place in my heart so..

An F 6 early AJ 37 it is! The individual I chose is preserved in Trollhättan, at ex NOHAB I think? It is on Moose Republics sheet anyways - 37034 iirc.

I plan to arm it too, with 2x RB 05As, I like the look of those MCLOS (I think it is?) missiles.. Those were quickly replaced/complemented by RB 75s (AGM-65A) but were kept as a reserve option or so I think.

And then a pair of "FFV AKAN-kapslar", ie ADEN gun pods . I think that will look good.

• Like 7

Appropos pretty much nothing I can't make up my mind whether I prefer the Viggen or the Grippen (which I have actually seen flying, and indeed landing). A Grippen visited my employer to use the range to test fire the Meteor BVRAAM.

• Like 1

Ah that´s pretty cool. Yeah the Gripens did alot of that test stuff for the Meteors.

I do like the Gripen, but it is a smaller little... Thing. :) . The Viggens are just so big and brutal beasts! When they set off the car alarms on take off gives me goose bumps.

https://youtu.be/b_sk6lgNEUk

So much unique soloutions and capabilities.

Most of the SAAB-systems have some pretty clever thinking, outside the box, around them. A big reason I love them, not just national pride. ;)

I do need to build a Gripen however, I haven´t actually, and it would be nice to have  acouple beside the Viggens, for size comparision if nothing else!

I wonder how long it takes before we see the kit of an E/F version?

• Like 1

😃 - There's lots of stuff on Gripen + Meteor there on you tube, but which will win between a Gripen with Meteor and a "lawn dart"!? Can we get real; the lawn dart is outranged by about 50 miles (maybe more, a lot more).

Great work on your Viggens!

Really love them :)

Weapons load out option sound great by hhd way  and yes  a E/F GripenFis needed!

Az is a great A/B/C/D by the way :devil:

• Like 2

Thanks!

Haha, fair enough! :D

I had the Kitty Hawk kit but got rid of it.. So never built one. Still kinda want to try it but.. Was hoping for a better one. Not holding my breath though.

Maybe we get a decent E/F if Canada choses it as their replacement? 😚 (But i guess they will chose the F-35..)

• Haha 1

That or some other, political reason - which is common among these things.. ;)

The Gripen has good STOL-capabilites though?

Damn, I might need an F-35 model now, they look cool.. But then again I enjoy Cold War jets much more..

• Like 1

Great work so far and the thread is an education for people like me 👍

I think I have enough AM

Nobody has enough AM 😂

9 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Damn, I might need an F-35 model now, they look cool.

Yes, go on, you know you want to...! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paramedic said:

The Gripen has good STOL-capabilites though?

Absolutely, but it's some ways off being STOL to the point of being carrier capable I think. Even if we judge "carrier capable" by the standard set by the B-25 Mitchells on the Doolittle raid.