1417_sprue1.jpg

1417_sprue2.jpg

1417_sprue3.jpg

1417_profWEB-a%20LR.jpg

1417_profWEB-c%20LR.jpg

1417_profWEB-b%20LR.jpg

1417_decals%20LR.jpg

V.P.

What a large innovation. Just the 48 scale schemes scaled down to 72 but finally they have the depth charges and their carriers also in a regular boxing and not just in a "speciale italia" one and the Tamiya rebox. The V-leg oleo is wrong for Italian a/c AFAIK. EDIT: But they supply both types...

Edited by troschi

• 4 weeks later...

Mmmmm a Viggen JA-37...is this a collaboration with a Special Hobby/Tarangus to release theirs under Italeri like they have with other kits by Special Hobby.....or is it the old ESCI kit brought out of the dusty vaults, which I didn’t think was a JA-37 but an AJ????

I wish they re-released a lot of their old tank kits including the ESCI ones, seems only a handful are currently in production and so many others are just asking exorbitant eBay prices... when they pop up. I've been lucky to bag a few over the past couple of years but would be great if they were more easily available.

15 hours ago, rafrobbo said:

Mmmmm a Viggen JA-37...is this a collaboration with a Special Hobby/Tarangus to release theirs under Italeri like they have with other kits by Special Hobby.....or is it the old ESCI kit brought out of the dusty vaults, which I didn’t think was a JA-37 but an AJ????

Should be the old Esci kit

On ‎18‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Charlie Hugo said:

AFAIK ESCI only did the F100D. AMT/ERTL did release a F100F in 72nd scale though. There is/was a tie-up between the two companies so it could be based on the ESCI kit but my F100F does not look as crisp as the ESCI kit did. Maybe the soft plastic used by AMT/ERTL was the reason

Esci became an Ertl subsidiary sometime around 1989 or '90, and Ertl stopped using the Esci name (at least for new kits) a few years later. AFAIK, the base kit for the F is the Esci D.

On ‎27‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 7:37 PM, rafrobbo said:

Originally it was an AJ, but one of the later Esci boxings (ca. 1990) was sold as a JA - as IIRC was the Airfix rebox.

Hoping the 72nd B-58 will be available again soon, both  Revell 1/48 and 1/72 are going for pretty high prices on E-bay.

Viggen has an amazing boxart, the best I've seen since Roy Huxley's magic Matchbox Viggen boxart. Inside is Esci's almost 40 year old kit. Interesting decal alternatives, and the decals look good at a first glance. But looking closer, you will find plenty of errors. For instance, fin numbers are in wrong typeface and the large wing numbers are too thin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Viggen has an amazing boxart, the best I've seen since Roy Huxley's magic Matchbox Viggen boxart. Inside is Esci's almost 40 year old kit. Interesting de alternatives, and the decals look good at a first glance. But looking closer, you will find plenty of errors. For instance, fin numbers are in wrong typeface and the large wing numbers are too thin.

Glad to see a Viggen as a more mainstream kit! Although buying it only for the nice decals???....

Hope it leads to more attention to the other one out there ;)

Bit sad for Italeri that they did not release the Viggen before the Tarangus kit came out, which has less issues than the old Esci kit. Will be a matter of price (30 to 40 Euro I suppose) and how accurate you want your kit to be...

12 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Viggen has an amazing boxart, the best I've seen since Roy Huxley's magic Matchbox Viggen boxart. Inside is Esci's almost 40 year old kit. Interesting decal alternatives, and the decals look good at a first glance. But looking closer, you will find plenty of errors. For instance, fin numbers are in wrong typeface and the large wing numbers are too thin.

This is one area where Italeri have to work harder to compete for the money of the more experienced modellers. Their decal sheets are generally well printed and adhere pretty well with no silvering, but they are often let down by small and not so small accuracy issues.

51 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Bit sad for Italeri that they did not release the Viggen before the Tarangus kit came out, which has less issues than the old Esci kit. Will be a matter of price (30 to 40 Euro I suppose) and how accurate you want your kit to be...

Issuing older tools of a certain subject in the wake of a new tool by someone else is something quite common and there's some commercial sense in this: any new tool generates interest on the web and in the press, so raising the awareness of the subject across the public. Making an older tool available at the same time allows to capture some of that interest as many modellers will have seen the brand new kit built on their favourite magazine/website and may be tempted into building a model of the same aircraft. Of course Italeri must have the decency of asking way less money for this oldie compared to the better Tarangus kit, and the price shown on their website is a reassuring € 26.50. The SH box of the Tarangus kit sells for more than double

• Like 1

26 Euros is a very reasonable price for the Viggen I reckon, especially when you consider how Italeri prices have soared recently. At that price (£23) I'd happily buy one for each option on the decal sheet regardless of how old the kit is! Any kit of the Viggen is welcome!:D. Now all I need is a set of masks for that amazing camouflage scheme!!

Allan

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

26 Euros is a very reasonable price for the Viggen I reckon, especially when you consider how Italeri prices have soared recently. At that price (£23) I'd happily buy one for each option on the decal sheet regardless of how old the kit is! Any kit of the Viggen is welcome!:D. Now all I need is a set of masks for that amazing camouflage scheme!!

Allan

https://aztecmodels.com/products/m48-004-viggen-splinter

https://dnmodels.com/product/splinter_camo_mask_set_saab_viggen/

https://www.maestromodels.com/saab-37-viggen-1-seater-splinter-camo-paint-mask.html

Several available !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Issuing older tools of a certain subject in the wake of a new tool by someone else is something quite common and there's some commercial sense in this: any new tool generates interest on the web and in the press, so raising the awareness of the subject across the public. Making an older tool available at the same time allows to capture some of that interest as many modellers will have seen the brand new kit built on their favourite magazine/website and may be tempted into building a model of the same aircraft. Of course Italeri must have the decency of asking way less money for this oldie compared to the better Tarangus kit, and the price shown on their website is a reassuring € 26.50. The SH box of the Tarangus kit sells for more than double

26.50 sounds OK - with some of the latest Italeri prices I expected much more. I got my SH for 49 by luck - and I fully agree that the price put me off for a long while...

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Be aware that the Italeri painting instruktions are not correct concerning the four colour camouflage Scheme. Usually Viggen comouflage ends up with an to light "light green" and an black that is "black green"...

The correct matt colours are...

Brown 507M (Hu118)

Light Green 322M (Hu150)

Green 326M (Hu105)

Black 093M (Hu33)

and

Bluegrey 058M (Hu87)

Concerning the nose go for an satin black paint. The mentioned Humbrol colours are recomended. There är better paints available from JPS Color...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...