C-87 in 1/144 by Muroc Models

David Newman

Hello,

Here is a conversion of the Academy/Minicraft 1/144 B-24J into an early C-87.  The C-87 was a cargo/troop version of the B-24D.  It had a rather poor reputation, in part due to numerous crashes while flying “the Hump”.  One was built to function as the first Air Force One, but it was decided that the C-87 was too dangerous too carry FDR.  The nose art is “Hump Happy”.  The decals are ALPS printed.  The olive drab/neutral gray paint is Mr. Color lacquer.

The conversion required modifying the nose to a shorter solid piece and adding many side windows.  The small windows were done with Kristal Klear and decal film. The tail has been modified and corrected.  The cowlings and engines are resin replacements.  The canopy has been replaced with a reshaped vacuformed part.

If I can fix some of the problems that popped up in this build, this resin conversion may be released by Muroc Models.  The issues included the vertical fins being angled too far back and the kit sitting tail high due to long main gear struts.  The 7 grams of weight I put in the nose was not quite enough to make it sit on its nose wheel (In the pictures the model is sitting on a down-slope to make it sit properly).  The Minicraft B-24 is a bear of a kit.  You can see that a second test build is under way with the cargo door opened up.  This will be finished as a bare metal aircraft.

David

Muroc Models

IMGP2569a.jpg

IMGP2560a.jpgIMGP2553a.jpg

• Like 5

On 21.1.2018 at 06:07, David Newman said:

Hello Caerbannog,

At first I plan to do standard WWII markings.  I might get to Bill Odom's C-87A in the future, one draw back is it had several differences compared to the early C-87.  This includes different windows and tail cap.

Thanks,

David

If you might get you might consider a larger scale? Like 1:72?? :-)

18 hours ago, JWM said:

Very nice - but I think this topic is more suitable for Ready for Inspection section. Do you agree?

Regards

J-W

Not quite - it is an announcement from David Newman that he releases a conversion set under his Muroc brand - with review and pics of the first result. So he could also post it in the RFI section :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Not quite - it is an announcement from David Newman that he releases a conversion set under his Muroc brand - with review and pics of the first result. So he could also post it in the RFI section :-)

10 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

If you might get you might consider a larger scale? Like 1:72?? :-)

I am about to start scratch conversin in 1/72, so if you are willing to make a conversion set I will pospone start...

Regards

J-W

20 hours ago, JWM said:

I am about to start scratch conversin in 1/72, so if you are willing to make a conversion set I will pospone start...

Regards

J-W

Somehow I have a fancy for Odoms mountings. I did the Beguinne and the P-47M Reynolds Bombshell (both 1:48). I would consider to add the Reynolds Bombshell Invader and the Liberator as well because of the exotic liveries. But currently I neither plan to work on a conversion or the decals (as I did for the P-47M). Somewhere in the Group Build section should be both builds.

René

Hello,

I need to finish the 1/144th conversion before considering other scales.  I might get to a 1/72 C-87 in the future, but no promises. 

If I do the 1/72 conversion, should it be based on the Hasegawa kit or the Minicraft/ kit?  The Hasegawa kit is better but the Minicraft is cheaper and much more available (at least on the west coast of the USA).  I am leaning toward Minicraft.  Any thoughts?

David

Muroc Models

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I finally finished the second test build for the C-87.  I took some photos this morning with the Mojave desert as a backdrop.  The C-87 has a metal finish using Tamiya spray and Alclad.  There are many B&W photos of this aircraft, as it was featured in a Life photo essay.  The rudders may have been some other color, but olive drab looked likely.  The national insignia have a darker blue outline.  The cargo doors have been cut out and a floor and bulkheads scratch-built.

The conversion has been released.  The conversion contains the following resin parts; fuselage halves, tripod, tail bumper, elevators, tail, antenna (2), pitots (2), cargo doors (2), tail fins, rudders, cowlings and motors.  There is a vacuformed canopy and a tail window.  The decal sheet has 4 different aircraft.  I can be contacted directly at newmanispwest at yahoo dot com.

David

Muroc Models

IMGP2958a.jpgIMGP2976a.jpgIMGP2988a.jpg

• Like 4