Future (first?) BM Buddy Build: Kursk Offensive 75 years

vppelt68

Now let's try this. We've speculated about having a Buddy Build but never done that, I believe.

The subject: Operation Zitadelle aka the Kursk offensive

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

The dates: 5.7.-23.8.2018 as in the wp article. Just one and a half months, as this is not a Group Build.

Eligible builds: anything that had reasonably something to do with the offensives.

Go/no-go? I say we go! if I get half a dozen buddies along.

1) vppelt68

2) Corsairfoxfouruncle

3) SimonT

4) SleeperService

5) Sgt.Squarehead

6) Ozzy

EDIT: Let´s keep this simple. Every builder opens a personal build thread in the relevant Aircraft modelling or AFV modelling WIP- section and later in the RFI. Let´s just add the tag which is first used in this thread: "Buddybuild Kursk 75 Years". Why not add it in the Topic title too :cheers:. 

(Big difference: just one build thread, where all builders post their progress. Probably requires separate a/c and afv threads, though. The Buddy, that runs the BB, opens the thread and moderates/edits it if needed. Big questions: @Enzo Matrix  I guess it should be ok to announce a BB here at the GB Chat, but if and when one should actually take place, would the build thread be placed at (say) WIP - Aircraft subforum, and finished builds in the relevant RFI - Aircraft section?)

Sorry to disturb you all... especially the trackheads. Best regards, V-P

• Like 1

I vaguely understand the concept of a buddy build ? Im guessing we each build a subject to do with the battle of kursk ? So for example i would build a panzer Mk.IV and my buddy in the same build log would build a T34 ? Or if an airplane it would be Bf 109G and a La-5 ?

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thanks for your interest! Yes, but you don´t even need to do a paired "duel" with anyone. Just build the Pz.Kpfw IV or the T-34 even if it was the only tank anybody builds - as long as it´s one from the battle of Kursk or its immediate counteroffensive. And all builds in 1-2 threads separated by modelling genre only. V-P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Did the Henschel HS129 take part in this ?

Might be an excuse to build it with the blooming great 75mm cannon !

cheers Pat

The 7,5cm armed airframe, no, as it didn't enter service until June '44, and then they only made 25 of them. The 30mm, yes. Provisionally. I had a bit of a Google, and there's a lot of wordage about it (and even more about the effectiveness of WW2 CAS aircraft, but that's a different kettle of worms entirely!) The 129s were there, but how many, and where, and exactly when...

Have a look around for yourself, and see what you can come up with. I wish you luck in your studies!

• Like 2

:yahoo:

There's now six of us signed in and in the math I've studied that equals to half a dozen I set as a limit for go or no-go. Let me repeat:

:yahoo:

I believe there are some practical issues we need to discuss with @Enzo Matrix about where and how to do the build threads. The simple solution would be to just pop open WIP and RFI threads in the real world outside our cozy comfort of the Group Builds- section of the forum - but that would mean separate threads for Aircraft and AFV (no Ships in Kursk...) builds. :hmmm:In my opinion that would be a big loss for the Buddy- factor. But, there's three months to think about that :coolio:.

Thanks BUDDIES, let's have some fun! Sorry Enzo, for the extra hassle...

Best regards, V-P

• Like 1

Aircraft for me, please. I have an Eduard FW 190 A-5 Weekend edition in my modest stash, and it has decals for 5./JG 54 plane "Schwarz 5 + - ". It was the plane of Oberleutnant Max Stotz, decorated with Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub. According to Norbert Hanning, the 5. Staffel was the only only one from the II Gruppe to take part in the Zitadelle. I have Eduard PE seat belts for the FW 190, otherwise the build will be OOB. Best regards, V-P

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 4:00 AM, vppelt68 said:

EDIT: Let´s keep this simple. Every builder opens a personal build thread in the relevant Aircraft modelling or AFV modelling WIP- section and later in the RFI. Let´s just add the tag which is first used in this thread: "Buddybuild Kursk 75 Years". Why not add it in the Topic title too :cheers:

Yep Im all good with this. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Can we complete builds that are beyond 25% in this BB? :shrug: I have candidates (I always have candidates for a KUTA).  :whistle:

I can´t see why the usual GB rules should restrict us in this case - I support them 100% in their proper context though - but as the real world is already full of tight schedules, why should we apply them here? There´s no %-restrictions in BM WIP- sections (I believe) so let´s live according to those :coolio:. V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1