HR Models RNAS Nieuport 10, 1/72nd scale...

Oddly enough, the image on the box is not correct.  8517 has a regular try-colour rudder and the Lewis gun.  It is an un-armed (and un-serialed) N.10 that has the iconic jack on the tail.  Luckily I have two kits...^_^

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Oddly enough, the image on the box is not correct.  8517 has a regular try-colour rudder and the Lewis gun.  It is an un-armed (and un-serialed) N.10 that has the iconic jack on the tail.  Luckily I have two kits...^_^

Good to know, John! I built one of these a while ago and was saving the Union Jack-tailed aircraft for a future build, "when I get good". Hope you don't mind if I follow along to see how you fare.

37 minutes ago, Procopius said:

the Union Jack

Here's a question...the term Union Jack, as opposed to just Jack...Not being British, I am ignorant.  

I have heard the the flag is called "The Jack."  It is only when it is flown on a maritime vessel that it is called a "Union Jack."  Is this correct, or do I have it backwards?

My understanding is that when the Union Flag is flown from the Jack Stay of a ship it should be refered to as the Union Jack else it should be refered to as the Union Flag however as with most things the modern parlance means that it is ofter refered to as the Union Jack when not flown on a ship, certainly when I was a child (before colour was invented) we called it the Union Jack.

Interestingly, when Queen Victoria visited Dublin those that lined the route and waved thier little Union Flags were known as Jackines (which was a derogatory term) so it must have been known as the Union Jack for quite some time..

• Thanks 1

Oddly enough we call the american confederate flag the union jack ? I presume because of one of two reasons. The first being it was similar shape to the british flag having the diagonal cross. The second because it was a bastardization of the union flag with its 13 stars on those crossed stripes.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Here's a question...the term Union Jack, as opposed to just Jack...Not being British, I am ignorant.  

I have heard the the flag is called "The Jack."  It is only when it is flown on a maritime vessel that it is called a "Union Jack."  Is this correct, or do I have it backwards?

Not-entirely relevant trivia, from Wikipedia:

"A jack is a national (originally naval) flag flown from a short jackstaff at the bow of a vessel, while the ensign is flown on the stern. Jacks on bowsprits or foremasts appeared in the 17th century. The word "jack" is said to result from the signature Jacques of King James I in whose reign (1603–1625) the Union Jack was designed. A country may have different jacks for different purposes, especially when (as in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands) the naval jack is forbidden to other vessels."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Hope you don't mind if I follow along to see how you fare.

I'm flattered.  I usually just splash so much paint on it it creates its own SEP* field. 

*"An SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem. That’s what SEP means. Somebody Else’s Problem. The brain just edits it out, it's like a blind spot."--Ford Prefect.

• Haha 1

I have built this mould already and it is pretty basic stuff.  It felt like some of it may have originated with TOKO or Eastern Express, but it is hard to tell.  They never released a N.10.  Thanks for the early support!

And so I begin...

I have decided to build N.10 3920, a two-seater variant with a rear-facing Lewis gun.  This aircraft was stationed with 2nd Wing RNAS on the island of Imbros, in the Aegean, off the coast of Turkey, around 1915-16.  Since I live in the Aegean, I think it is only fitting that I build an RNAS bird in my neck of the woods, so to speak.  

As you see, I have primed the sprues with Humbrol rattle-can Desert Tan.  This is slightly darker than the linen fabric of the plane and I will use Vallejo Air Beige for the primary over-tone once I have masked off the ribs! Yes...very, very small ribs.  Wish me luck!

The other colors I have chosen are pretty basic for these early birds...some smoke, a little black, aluminum, and wood grain.  I will use Tamiya Clear Yellow for the 'varnish' on the wooden bits over the wood grain brown.  Rigging will be a combination of .005 test and sprue for the really small pieces.  In honour of my Greek friends and what seems to be the national drink (frappé), I am thinking of using Nescafe for the oil staining on the fuselage and lower wing.  I have done this before and the tone is very nice and close to burned castor oil.  

My hopes are that once I am finished with this build, I will move right along to the next N.10, the un-serialed and unknown 'jack' ruddered aircraft from 1st Wing RNAS.  They will make a nice pair.

Here 'tis...

24962703457_ec8a024d49_z_d.jpg

• Like 2

Ok...some bits and bobs...painted and assembled the cockpit--seats, etc...the wood color is Vallejo Wood.  I won't varnish these bits.  Also, did basic aluminum painting of parts of the fuselage, cabane struts, cowling...I chose not to use the provided Lewis and found a nice resin version instead.  Better moulding for sure. The fuel tank is painted Vallejo Copper.  I also painted the 'V' struts and masked off the areas where the taping will go.  Once I apply the Clear Yellow and let it dry there will be a small trough tat will be easy to paint with the tape color--a light tan, I think.  I have also made a throttle control out of scrap since there isn't much else in the cabin.  No dashboard, as far as I can see.  Seat belts are strips of masking tape.  Prop done up and ready for varnish.  I have to let this Vallejo Wood really dry well or the Clear yellow will strip off the brown base coat.  Overnight, at least.

I think that's it for today...Lots of pictures...

38961428325_80770d34cb_z_d.jpg

38961429905_544b5cff30_z_d.jpg

25986941068_33a4cd0a26_z_d.jpg

39828025012_daec2b8a8e_z_d.jpg

39150038784_9f3430a5ae_z_d.jpg

39150037574_02fe9a2888_z_d.jpg

24989365967_475af58f99_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Today's labours...

While the 8 Beaufort howls outside I decided to put together the cockpit of this little craft.  I glued in the two seats, one forward, one not.  The fuel tank, I think goes in the back where the observation man/gunner can rest his feet.  That might be incorrect, but that's where I put it.  There is no actual instructions to use it on this build but I am doing it anyway!  I have added a few small bits...the throttle lever has cables; the aileron controls have cables; there is a compass.  I have glued the spare Lewis drum magazines on the wall and built a rack.  I have varnished the 'V' struts and the prop (sorry, no pic)...That's it until later tonight.  I'll mask off the wings for the shading and airbrushing and also assemble the fuselage halves...putty, mask, etc...It goes quick.  

28094064639_ce8c91de14_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

The fuel tank, I think goes in the back where the observation man/gunner can rest his feet.

I'm sure that put him into a heightened state of alertness when things got dicey.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Yes...nothing like flying in a plane made of varnished wood and linen while resting one's feet on 30 liters of fuel!;)

...with no parachute under you bum! :o

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Today's labours...

While the 8 Beaufort howls outside I decided to put together the cockpit of this little craft.  I glued in the two seats, one forward, one not.  The fuel tank, I think goes in the back where the observation man/gunner can rest his feet.  That might be incorrect, but that's where I put it.  There is no actual instructions to use it on this build but I am doing it anyway!  I have added a few small bits...the throttle lever has cables; the aileron controls have cables; there is a compass.  I have glued the spare Lewis drum magazines on the wall and built a rack.  I have varnished the 'V' struts and the prop (sorry, no pic)...That's it until later tonight.  I'll mask off the wings for the shading and airbrushing and also assemble the fuselage halves...putty, mask, etc...It goes quick.  

28094064639_ce8c91de14_z_d.jpg

--John

The fuel tank goes directly behind the engine firewall, with the bottom of the tank above the centre of the engine (gravity feed) ie forward of where the instrument panel would be. From your pic it needs to be rotated 90 degrees (so that the top curves port/stbd not fwd/aft) and fitted at the extreme front and top of the fuselage as visible in the pic - but once the top decking is on and instrument panel in place you won't be able to see it anyway so for simplicity just leave it out.

The throttle on the port side should be moved forward  so it sits just aft of the frame in front - you've got it at the pilot's side, it should be in front of him so his left hand drops easily onto it from the control column.

Otherwise, you're making a brilliant job on what after all is a tiny model.

Source Windsock Datafile 68 on the Nieuport 10/12