Panther Mk.V STGB Chat

23 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

My choices for this GB.

spacer.png

The Panther is an old kit, originally dating from 1969.  It can be classed as "a kit I didn't build as a kid but wanted to". :)  I'm looking forward to finally building it. 

Wow. I remember sneaking that Panther kit with me to the barracks in winter-spring '89 and veeery cautiously gluing parts together during one night watch, being scared s***less that the duty officer would've caught me by surprise. It was a very old and crude kit even by then, but I'm sure you'll do wonders with it. In the end it is a Panther Ausf. A, the best looking Panther ever! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I think I can manage one entry for this. I haven't built a Panther since 1983 (for shame!). I have kits from ESCI, Revell and Zvezda in the stash, along with Jagdpanthers from Italeri (ex-ESCI), Revell and Trumpeter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, klr said:

I think I can manage one entry for this. I haven't built a Panther since 1983 (for shame!). I have kits from ESCI, Revell and Zvezda in the stash, along with Jagdpanthers from Italeri (ex-ESCI), Revell and Trumpeter.

WWEMD?  :wicked: 

36 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

WWEMD?  :wicked: 

He'd remember the wise words of "Dirty" Harry Callahan: A man has to know his limitations. 😛

I'm already committed to several other GBs during that period, including the Heller one, for which I plan on building at least 6 kits. At least.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, klr said:

He'd remember the wise words of "Dirty" Harry Callahan: A man has to know his limitations. 😛

How about the wise words of the philosopher Florence Welch?   Too much is never enough.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, klr said:

Added to the list. 

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

As my name is down for this and October is approaching rapidly I think I need to pull my finger out and order a kit, I picked up the Haynes manual for the type this week so I'm sorted for references.

Hey Craig good to see you're getting ready for this. Is there anything in the Haynes about the Otto Skorzeny M10 clones used at the battle of the bulge ? I know they’re based on “G” Panthers and have some drawings but measurements of the modified armor plates is what I'm looking for. I will be doing a conversion of an old Panther kit to one of these and all the info I can gather would be helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey Craig good to see you're getting ready for this. Is there anything in the Haynes about the Otto Skorzeny M10 clones used at the battle of the bulge ? I know they’re based on “G” Panthers and have some drawings but measurements of the modified armor plates is what I'm looking for. I will be doing a conversion of an old Panther kit to one of these and all the info I can gather would be helpful. 

Just had another scan through the book but there is no mention of Skorzeny and his M-10'ed up Panthers at all, let alone any pictures or diagrams. It is a fascinating story and will make for a great model so I wish you luck with your search.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:27 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Climbing aboard with this Hasegawa Panther,  that I bought at Fairford.

Hasegaw-Panther.jpg

Confirming that this kit remains untouched in my stash.  And I've bought the Haynes manual - so know EVERYTHING about Panthers.

Panther-Tank.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well seeing the Museum in Cairns is getting a Panther

https://www.ausarmour.com/museum/coming-soon/

it would be remiss of me not to dig a Panther out of the “Stash” and join in the fun. 

If time allows it will be 1:35 (do have the 1:25 Tamiya kits but one of them would take way too ling to build) of some description (most likely Dragon) but if time limited it will be 1:76 (Airfix, Matchbox, Nitto, etc) or 1:72 (Esci, Hasegawa, Dragon, Revell etc). 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

On 07/08/2020 at 19:19, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is there anything in the Haynes about the Otto Skorzeny M10 clones used at the battle of the bulge ? I know they’re based on “G” Panthers and have some drawings but measurements of the modified armor plates is what I'm looking for. I will be doing a conversion of an old Panther kit to one of these and all the info I can gather would be helpful. 

Have you seen this?

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-conversion-sets/c034

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

If time allows it will be 1:35 (do have the 1:25 Tamiya kits but one of them would take way too ling to build) of some description (most likely Dragon) but if time limited it will be 1:76 (Airfix, Matchbox, Nitto, etc) or 1:72 (Esci, Hasegawa, Dragon, Revell etc). 

Or alternatively...   all of them!  :wicked: 

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:19 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

There was an article on modelling them in Airfix Magazine in the mid seventies I think it was. 

I can have a look for it if you think it will be of any help. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

I can have a look for it if you think it will be of any help.

That would be good, if I can get measurements of the modifications it would be a lot easier to scratch the modifications. Ive got drawings of standard Panther’s and the Clones but no measurements. So its hard to gage length, height, and width of the add on panels. 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That would be good, if I can get measurements of the modifications it would be a lot easier to scratch the modifications. Ive got drawings of standard Panther’s and the Clones but no measurements. So its hard to gage length, height, and width of the add on panels. 

I forgot to ask what scale you are doing this in?  

I haven’t looked through my Airfix Magazines yet but looking through 

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/airfix-magazine-1970s-contents-listing.htm

It looks like the Article is in the July 1977 issue. 

On 8/14/2020 at 5:25 AM, Rob S said:

I forgot to ask what scale you are doing this in?  

I haven’t looked through my Airfix Magazines yet but looking through 

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/airfix-magazine-1970s-contents-listing.htm

It looks like the Article is in the July 1977 issue. 

My apologies for not responding sooner, its going to be in 1/72 scale. If that fails I will go to 1/35th. 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My apologies for not responding sooner, its going to be in 1/72 scale. If that fails I will go to 1/35th. 

That’s OK we’ve all got other things to do than sit reading BM (as much fun as it is though!). 

I think from memory the article (by Steve Zaloga if I recall correctly) is for the Airfix kit. Stupidly I was Home this afternoon but was so busy painting the fence and doing other chores I forgot to have a look. Hopefully I’ll get the chance again when I go back tomorrow. 

If you go to 1:35 have you got the Dragon kit and if so is it any good?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

This was the Dragon kit I was referring to

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6561-ersatz-m10--120567#

Thanks Rob I didn't know that kit existed it came out during my hiatus from models. However it would definitely be the best option if I could afford it. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I thought that you might not have known of that kit. I’d almost forgotten about it myself and had to go looking for it on Scalemates. 

I found the Airfix Magazine and took photos of the Article. I was right and wrong. Right in that it was by Zaloga and that the Airfix kit was used but wrong about the plans as for some reason they are in 1:48 and not 1:76. I’ll upload the photos next time I am on the laptop.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t wait for this, already dug out my Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanther Late (TAM35203) with Eduard Etch and masks (ED35337) and have just received some Bronco tracks (AB3540) for it.

The big problem is whether I can wait to start it, I keep getting distracted by this rather than completing my Spitfire for the BoB 80th Gb...

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

Can’t wait for this, already dug out my Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanther Late (TAM35203) with Eduard Etch and masks (ED35337) and have just received some Bronco tracks (AB3540) for it.

The big problem is whether I can wait to start it, I keep getting distracted by this rather than completing my Spitfire for the BoB 80th Gb...

Sounds like it will be a great build. Remember you can build up to 25% of the kit before the build officially starts. If those are tracks that need assembly might not be a bad idea to get a head start on them now. In the overall picture of things I think fully assembled tracks are still less than 25% of a completed build. Particularly if there is any interior or the exterior is to be super detailed.