Panther Mk.V STGB Chat

Just been checking through some of the threads in this STGB and I have to say there is some of the most impressive AFV modelling going on that I have seen for a long while!! :worthy: I hope everyone here is going to be joining us for the Pz.III GB in February. I will try and check out some of the other threads when I get chance.

I had intended to be taking part in this GB but a shortage of time generally and my MTO Pz.III build is taking longer than intended. I may be able to join at some point but we'll see. It'll have to be something small probably if a do build something.

Well done @Corsairfoxfouruncle - your GB looks to be producing excellent Panthers and some of it's variants!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Due to the COVID restrictions in March and April I returned to the Braille-scale AFV modelling. And of course a Panther was a must - I purchased the re-issued Dragon Ausf. A and I immediately started building it. The model was almost finished when this GB came out, so I won't post pictures of it here. But a few weeks ago there was a serious problem, so I feel obligated to warn those of you who build any Dragon 1/72 tank kits and paint them with enamels (i.e. not the acrylic paints).

It seems that the material used by Dragon for their flexible "bandage" tracks cannot be enameled (e.g. Humbrol ones), as some chemical component of the paint damages the internal structure of the track material, which loses its flexibility and - now being extremely brittle - breaks into several pieces just 2-3 months after painting. The parts cannot be glued back together, as they simply fall apart when touched with your fingers.

So if anyone within this GB replaces the standard 1/72 Panther link-and-lenght tracks with aftermarket metal or resin ones, I would be happy to take the standard ones you intend to throw away. I also have several surpluses for the 1/72 AFV and aircraft kits, as well as the 1/700 warships - maybe there's something for you among them?

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

It seems that the material used by Dragon for their flexible "bandage" tracks cannot be enameled (e.g. Humbrol ones), as some chemical component of the paint damages the internal structure of the track material, which loses its flexibility and - now being extremely brittle -

Sorry this has happened, Thank you for the warning. 

• Like 1

@stevehnz had to give up on his build because of the tracks in his Dragon kit fell apart as he took them out of the bag...

It's a known issue & Dragon are now replacing the rubber DS tracks with plastic link & length ones in their newer releases/reboxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

It's a known issue & Dragon are now replacing the rubber DS tracks with plastic link & length ones in their newer releases/reboxes.

I just wish they're replace my ones. I'm close to giving up on waiting for my replacement tracks, no sign of them even though I raised a complaint with them. I can feel some after market ones coming on. :)

Steve.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any pictures of the bow MG for the A/D variants? As the Takom kit comes with a nicely detailed opening but the only MGs are for the turret and the cupola, I’ve had a good luck on the net but nothing has sprung out.

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Does anyone have any pictures of the bow MG for the A/D variants? As the Takom kit comes with a nicely detailed opening but the only MGs are for the turret and the cupola, I’ve had a good luck on the net but nothing has sprung out.

The D and early A never had one. 
Just a vertical letterbox type opening. 

Which kit are you building ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Longbow said:

The D and early A never had one. 
Just a vertical letterbox type opening. 

Which kit are you building ?

The Takom late D version, was it just a normal infantry MG 34?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, exdraken said:

great GB! thanks Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle for being such an incredible host!

was fun, learned a lot!

hope to see many at the next heavy GB, the Panzer III GB starts soon :)

Thank you...

Hello everyone I will get to the poll sometime later today/tonight, please look out for it and do vote when it is open. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody ... Though sad to say there are no prizes for anything. Id like to announce the order of favorite build by vote. In first place with 8 votes is

@Redcoat2966 with his BERGEPANTHER. 

Runners up we have a tie at 3 votes each are

@PlaStix & @srkirad, and for second runner up position with two votes we have @Longbow. Honorable mention goes to @Erwin, @modelling minion, and @Ozzy.

It was a pleasure to host the build and see all the incredible work that was done. 

Dennis

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2