Panther Mk.V STGB Chat

2 hours ago, Will9962 said:

I'd love to join. My first group build. Could you add me if there is still room? Cheers, Will.

Welcome aboard Will... In about ten days I will send out a one month reminder. Then again about a week before the build starts. If you have any questions please feel free to D/M me or ask here in chat. I will be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities. 

Dennis

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Will... In about ten days I will send out a one month reminder. Then again about a week before the build starts. If you have any questions please feel free to D/M me or ask here in chat. I will be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities. 

Dennis

Great, cheers!

• Like 1

Looking at the stash I have the Meng Toon Panther, Airfix's 1/76 Vintage Classic and Revell's Repop of the Matchbox Jagdpanther.

So I guess I could do one of these....

IanJ 

Just come across this one.........sounds like fun........just had another Panther D come into the stash.......although I have three Panther's partially done, another can't make much difference :whistle:. to the growing backlog.....I'm bored with my Sturmtiger.

Would I take it that the 25% rule, is if one is started but no more than 25%......my Bergepanther A is hardly started, maybe I could finish that one. I'll take a pic and post, and let me know if it meets the criteria.

So I have until October 10th to try and finish what ever I have on the bench....:rolleyes:, before it kicks off.

Count me in then......:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soeren said:

This is an interesting topic. Is there a group build tutorial? What do I need to know and to do before I am able to participate?

I should really write a GB tutorial.  :)

But it's really easy.  Each GB has a welcome and rules thread.  Have a look through all the other GBs that are happening. You'll soon get the gist of it.

You don't have to register for the GB.  When it starts, simply put up a build thread in the relevant forum.  Usually the first thread is a little bit about the history of your subject.  Maybe something about why you chose the subject - something general or a personal story.  A picture of the box is always good as well.   Then simply document the build as you go along.  It's always good to post pictures of the sprues so that other people can see what it's all about.

After that a few posts showing the build progressing should be made.  You can discuss any problems you encounter so that others can post advice.  You can also post about how you overcame any problems as guidance for others.  The level of build detail that you show is entirely up to you, but please make sure you show at least five steps in the build.

When the build is finished you should really show off all your hard work, so post those pictures in your build thread.  You can also post up to five pictures in the GB gallery thread, together with some information on the kit used, and aftermarket or decals etc.  A link to your build thread is always a good idea as well.

And that's it.  Nothing particularly difficult about it.  The whole object of a GB is to have fun and build something along with like-minded people.

:welcome: to the Groupbuilds!   It's good to have you along. :thumbsup:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hmmm, I do like signing up for Group Builds and I do have a Panther V in the stash (spoiler alert, its not in 35th or 72nd scale...) with parts to make an Ardennes diorama.

I was planning to make it my December build, so lets throw my cap into the ring. 😏

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Soeren said:

This is an interesting topic. Is there a group build tutorial? What do I need to know and to do before I am able to participate?

You've shown interest that really is all that is required. As Enzo says when this opens up in a few weeks just start a thread and join in the fun. One rule in my group builds is Have fun. Even if you dont finish the build, I’d rather see a build not finished and you enjoy the process. If you have to force the finish but its not fun, then we've gone to the point of hurting the reason we all build models. If you want I can add you to the list just let me know ? 

6 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Just come across this one.........sounds like fun........just had another Panther D come into the stash.......although I have three Panther's partially done, another can't make much difference :whistle:. to the growing backlog.....I'm bored with my Sturmtiger.

Would I take it that the 25% rule, is if one is started but no more than 25%......my Bergepanther A is hardly started, maybe I could finish that one. I'll take a pic and post, and let me know if it meets the criteria.

So I have until October 10th to try and finish what ever I have on the bench....:rolleyes:, before it kicks off.

Count me in then......:yes:

Simon.

Welcome aboard Simon, post photo’s of what you have done and I can let you know if they're to far done to qualify. 

25 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Hmmm, I do like signing up for Group Builds and I do have a Panther V in the stash (spoiler alert, its not in 35th or 72nd scale...) with parts to make an Ardennes diorama.

I was planning to make it my December build, so lets throw my cap into the ring. 😏

Hello Tim I’ve added you to the list, this sounds quite interesting and Im looking forward to seeing what you can do. Im guessing its either 1/48 or possibly wargaming scales ? I would think 1/16th would be too big to get much of it done. 

@Enzo Matrix thank you for the explanation and basic rules. 

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I should really write a GB tutorial.  :)

Maybe just expand and pin these ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Tim I’ve added you to the list, this sounds quite interesting and Im looking forward to seeing what you can do. Im guessing its either 1/48 or possibly wargaming scales ? I would think 1/16th would be too big to get much of it done.
@Enzo Matrix

The only true scale 😁

spacer.png

Not sure the Tamiya ET will be much use on this one though...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Well....managed to get to taking a pic of the Bergepanther.....and it's state of build. It probably fits the less than 25%...let me know if it fits the bill....if not, then it's a "Zimmed Up" Panther D with all bells and whistles.

0NMHLkq.jpg

No you're all clear with this one looking forward to seeing it in the build. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How goes the research into the M10 ‘Ersatz’ @Corsairfoxfouruncle? Its a playable tank in the game World of Tanks, you can view the 3D model used in the game here. I can extract the model from the game files & take 3-view renders & measurements of it if you're interested.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

How goes the research into the M10 ‘Ersatz’ @Corsairfoxfouruncle? Its a playable tank in the game World of Tanks, you can view the 3D model used in the game here. I can extract the model from the game files & take 3-view renders & measurements of it if you're interested.

That would be great any if you can help, any info I can gather is a step closer to the result. My base kit is 1/72 if that helps ? Im not looking for a 100% exact replica but more something that looks like an M10. 

8 hours ago, Soeren said:

Speaking of the rules. Is the Panther F kit eligible? As it is sort of „what if“ tank .

spacer.png

Yes... It was an experimental/paper prototype so is good to go. Wiki entry says they actually built several turrets. 

Panther Ausf. F

After the Panther II project died, a more limited upgrade of the Panther was planned, centred around a re-designed turret. The Ausf F variant was intended for production in April 1945, but the end of war ended these plans.

The earliest known redesign of the turret was dated 7 November 1943 and featured a narrow gun mantlet behind a 120 mm (4.7 in) thick turret front plate. Another design drawing by Rheinmetall dated 1 March 1944 reduced the width of the turret front even further; this was the Turm-Panther (Schmale Blende) (Panther with narrow gun mantlet).[154]Several experimental Schmaltürme (literally: "narrow turrets") were built in 1944 with modified versions of the production Panther's 7.5 cm KwK 42 L/70 standard gun, which were given the designation of KwK 44/1. A few were captured and shipped back to the U.S. and Britain.

The Panther Ausf.F hull was actually put into production in the closing months of the war, most were still in the factory when the war ended but at least one of them was fitted with the turret from the Ausf.G & saw combat in Berlin. Several prototypes of the Panther Ausf.F's new narrow turret were built, one of them was fitted onto an Ausf.G hull as a demonstration but it never entered mass-production. So all the parts for the Panther Ausf.F were built during the war, but the war ended before they were put together as intended 😛

Panther Ausf.G hull with F turret.
4rxlU2j.jpg  
The Dragon kit actually comes with the parts to build either a G or F hull (they love to reuse old moulds!), so if you really wanted to be historically accurate you could just use the G parts & make this one.

Panther Ausf.F hull with G turret.
ZpWC0rl.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 2