10 Sqn RAAF CA-18 Mustang Target Tug

Well I decided on this one, as our family came to Townsville in 1961 with Dad transferred to 10 Sqn which at the time was operating Long Nosed Lincolns, so 10 Sqn was a familiar thing to me.

I later discovered that they had a Mustang which had been converted to a Target Tug on strength for about 3-4 years, and that Red Roo do a conversion for this, which includes a decal sheet and CAC built CA-18 Mustang specific items, although this conversion seems to be no longer available, I had one in the stash, lucky me, and for reference I have the Southern Cross Mustangs book by David Muir, a veritable treasure chest fo Aussie Mustang detail, the Red Roo instructions themselves are based on this, as it's one of their publications.

Now this is a kit that I had planned for the Mustang STGB, but didn't get much done as I was taking care of my late wife at the time, and had very little modelling time available.

I have put some paint on this, but I don't think that constitutes any build action, and certainly not anywhere near 25%, I also think I need to change from the US type primer to a more apple green CAC interior, will find out more when I do some reading.

The kit and conversion

27953850449_a8b2c2b9b8_k.jpgDSCN0918 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

and the 10 Sqn specific details from the Instructions

27953845709_9f69d4dade_k.jpgDSCN0919 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

So off to do research  :smartass:

• Like 11

OK, some steady, but slow progress as I find my way with continual reference to the "Southern Cross Mustangs" book

firstly, getting the wings together and adding some filler, then dropping those pesky flaps that Mustangs always have.

I sliced with a very new blade, came out quite well, just need to add some round to front of the flap on the upper inner part to give the correct appearance, and extend the inner part of the flap to the bit that fits under the fuselage fairing, and I will be happy

39811124641_39a52b0676_k.jpgDSCN0926 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

39811341461_2e1d967eda_k.jpgDSCN0925 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Painted the cockpit with Humbrol 2 as the best match to CAC Interior Green, as the one of the photos says, it's brighter and more bilious than this, certainly an apt description

24940944787_75e01cbfcc_k.jpgDSCN0930 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Copy of the interior shots to show what I mean about the green, hope I'm not infringing any copyright issues here.

39811096301_b469118dc7_k.jpgDSCN0933 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

OK, more to come

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

So, some more done, in between other GB's I have going on

I thought that the wing would just slip easily into place, Not on your Nellie

It took me a while to work out what was the problem, seems Tamiya added that long piece under the fairing, remembering the photo is upside down, and it wouldn't fit with the Flaps on

28438526879_602e9100f1_k.jpgDSCN1200 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Some serious scraping, gouging and when possible sanding, as this is quite a narrow ledge, I eventually got there

28438519379_0c472ca7cc_k.jpgDSCN1202 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

In the mean time I hade to file out the back of the wing to take the flaps a bit bett

28438515159_3e6354b19b_k.jpgDSCN1203 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

So wing on

Topside

39506689814_8d2aca4034_k.jpgDSCN1204 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

and bottom

39506685134_ababd29726_k.jpgDSCN1205 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I haven't attached the flaps as I don't want to get them damaged or broken off, so off to the paint shop, except I just found out I am missing 3 U/C doors, no idea what happened to them, so have to mould some new ones

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Graeme H said:

So, some more done, in between other GB's I have going on ...

..., except I just found out I am missing 3 U/C doors, no idea what happened to them, so have to mould some new ones

Are you sure you didn't use them on one of your other Group Builds?  :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OK, just a small update to show that I'm not slackening off

The yellow belly painted, will need some black stripes tomorrow

40331203981_b1b546c38e_z.jpgDSCN1217 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I masked up as the proper thing rather than just painting yellow and masking off later, as I know yellow is a hard colour to get good opacity since they took the lead out, this is Model Master Insignia Yellow, according to IPMS Stockholm, the same as Trainer Yellow, and I'm sure to get ridges, so hopefully this can cut them down to something reasonable.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 09:25, Graeme H said:

Can any tell me why masking tape sticks to skin better than anything else?

Like photo etch with super glue on it; everywhere but the place its meant to go

How are you getting on with this?

We're not far off the half-way point in the GB

• 1 month later...

OK, been getting a bit depressed with this one, but getting back into it, as I need to get it finished for the GB, and an away Model Show in @Rob G territory.

after a lot of soul searching, I found I just couldn't live with the very pebbly finish on the yellow, it was just atrocious, so as we do, I sanded it down

40987533774_3756f71529_k.jpgDSCN1230 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Repainted it, to get at least a slightly better finish, next time I will use acrylics I think, just didn't have a yellow that was suitable, so re added the black stripes and started putting on the stickers (read about that below), this is one I just want to get over the line

40987532034_2170d9e5a4_k.jpgDSCN1266 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

and the upper with added stickers, now that is another tale of woe, first one I tried curled up and stuck to itself and refused to let go, even after 40 minutes of pushing around underwater

40987532864_2efe88a96b_k.jpgDSCN1265 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Now to add all the other bits 

• Like 4

It'll be good to catch up Graeme. Better get a wriggle on with that airyplane, there's only a week and a bit to go!

(At least you have paint on your entry, mine is still bare plastic. Nothing new there though. :D )

OK, wriggling along as Rob suggested, first the undercarriage on, so it looks a bit better

41709731842_ca2be629ee_k.jpgDSCN1268 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Prop on

41709730112_68e275ac07_k.jpgDSCN1270 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

since added the radio mast and pitot, lost the first one, and had to borrow one from another kit, still getting the canopy to sit properly, a lot of little touch ups along the way

Someone on here said recently it was when 95% of the model was finished that 90% of the errors occurred, never a more true statement.

• Like 6

Basically finished, but still have another week with this one so will get some better shots to put in the Gallery

41880830901_1c0e10458f_k.jpgDSCN1285 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

41880830141_5e8a8c24c6_k.jpgDSCN1286 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I took these late in the afternoon, so light fading a little, but didn't want to use the flash, I'm taking this away for the weekend, and thought I had better get some photos in case of any accidents along the way

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...