New Airfix 1/72nd B-25C Mitchell

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Cheers Tony, long time no see, hopefully catch you at one of the shows this year, (or maybe Neil can arrange another museum trip). Sorry to cost you a few bob...there are quite a few more to come I'm afraid ;)

Yes it would be great to catch up again,..... oh I`ve got plenty of schemes lines up including a post war Dutch Navy machine in EDSG/Sky colours!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

Yes it would be great to catch up again,..... oh I`ve got plenty of schemes lines up including a post war Dutch Navy machine in EDSG/Sky colours!

We'll sort something out, I'm seeing Neil at the Bolton show on the 28th. Definitely a bonus with the Mitchell...all those lovely schemes, I agree, the Dutch aircraft were amongst the best looking. Mind you some of the South American schemes look very interesting too.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony 

If you can make Bolton mate, I can pick you up on the way, be good to meet up again :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

If you can make Bolton mate, I can pick you up on the way, be good to meet up again :)

Cheers pal,.....Ali is meeting up with a mate for shopping and flicks and dropping me off,...so I`m OK for a lift,....but deffo catch up for a natter. Hopefully my back will be OK to go!

• Like 2

My stash is bulging at the seams now . . . . . . . must find room . . . . . . can't hide the new red boxes half as well as other manufacturer's offerings, Shhhh, the WIFEU may see :worry:

Great build General, love your finish, just gotta wait a bit now . . . . . . . :nah:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers pal,.....Ali is meeting up with a mate for shopping and flicks and dropping me off,...so I`m OK for a lift,....but deffo catch up for a natter. Hopefully my back will be OK to go!

Cool, I’m coming over with the general so see you there :)

• Like 1

That's a beauty there GM!  I'm really looking forward to getting one of those ASAP. It may be a while to get it done but I hope it turns out as nice as yours. Thanks for the insights and I might just have to buy my first Airfix mag for your article. 

Again that's a great model there!

Cheers!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, woody37 said:

The stash of red boxes is getting bigger!

Same here.  The detail and quality of the new Airfix kits equal the big name Japanese manufacturers, while their prices are much more reasonable.  The new Airfix kits are the best value on the market now.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Viking said:

That's lovely General. Nice to see an option for the ventral turret, must be a 1st in 1:72nd?

Cheers

John

The Italeri kit includes that option.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks guys,

The Italeri kit includes that option.

Murph, I think you're referring to the 1/48th kit, (ex-Accurate Miniatures) which included the turret...

Thanks Rich..yes it's a natty little, 'off the shoulder' number, isn't it? 

Tally Ho, yipperty-dip and zing zang spillip!

Now you're speaking My kind of language private, advanced gobbledygook with a spattering of Old Harrovian Double-Dutch thrown in for good measure.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, general melchett said:

Hi guys, another year, hope you're all fighting fit and raring to go. This is a pre-production build of the new Airfix B-25C/D Mitchell that I finished in November for the January issue of Airfix Model World magazine. A great little model of a very impressive aircraft. There were a couple of issues with this example though, one possibly to do with the pre-production nature of the kit, the other more a simple fix really. On this example, the height of the right side of the rear fuselage where the tailplane sits was some 2mm higher than the left which meant that the horizontal tail sat at an odd angle. Some simple, but careful filing of the fuselage top surface was needed to bring everything into line and hopefully, this problem is only restricted to this example, but it's something to look out for. The other issue concerned the location of the main gear legs which is a tad suspect as the leg just clips into a shallow trough on the undercarriage roof which led to a decidedly wobbly assembly, especially with those big balloon tyres. The easy answer was to add a couple of brass rods to each leg to stabilise the parts. Thankfully these are hidden inside the nacelles and can't be seen from the outside. I realise this doesn't sound ideal for a new release particularly in regard to folks new to the sport but hopefully, full production kits will improve on things. The rest of the kit is good though as ever some details aren't quite correct such as the fact that Desert Warrior had a .50 cal position in the lower right position in the nose glazing meaning that I had to drill out the glazing and fit a gun from the spares box. The canopy pilots side window had a noticeable flow line so was removed and an acetate replacement added. This, in turn, meant I could have the window open adding a bit more interest. Decals are good and went on without issue and the choice of markings was definitely interesting. Optional parts are included for the two versions including engine nacelles, dropped or raised flaps, positionable flying surfaces and different windscreen framing. The bomb bay is nicely rendered as are the four 500 lb bombs complete with stencil markings. 

Look forward to the RAF Mitchell II later in the year...

Hope you like it.

Cheers:cheers:

Melchie

1-7-DSC_0479-002_zpsrjpw6n7x.jpg

04-5-DSC_0554_zpsurjmynbw.jpg

03-1-DSC_0522_zpskpzcorgt.jpg

02-6-DSC_0484_zpsovj0tphn.jpg

05-4-DSC_0562_zpslxhb42dd.jpg

06-2-DSC_0569_zpsk8snpf0d.jpg

07-2-DSC_0572_zpsoxhaqglc.jpg

08-3-DSC_0576_zps4gynvlwd.jpg

09-1-DSC_0583_zpszmvwrluw.jpg

Hello, my grandfather is Captain Ralph Lower, the pilot of the Desert Warrior. I am putting one of these models together to give to my Grand Father who is going to enjoy his 99th birthday this year. I would love it if you could provide me some expertise/advise. I am also communicating with Pilot Officer Anthony Arthur Martin's son's and granddaughter, and with the grand daughter or "Sgt J.B. Saragalo" who is actually named Garafalo (Airfix typo?). 

Your work is stunning. 

Respectfully, Dave Lower

Edited by CAPTLOWER
  • Like 1

Hi Dave, thanks, please pm me and I'll do what I can to help,  it's great to hear from family and friends connected to the actual aircraft concerned. I think your grandfather will be extremely pleased with your model of his aircraft, it's a great kit. As a member of the RAF Bomber Command SIG we meet a lot of people at shows who have connections with the models on display, (in some cases, crewed the aircraft and even those from the 'opposition'), it's always interesting to follow up these stories.

Andy

What an absolute beauty.   A superb paint finish and weathering.  It really dies look like a lovely kit.  All you need now is a 1/72nd scale Yossarian sitting in the nose!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...