New Airfix 1/72nd B-25C Mitchell

Thanks chaps, always appreciated. 

I was thinking I might get away without buying one of these, I fear you have forced me to think again.

Well worth the admission fee Stew, I really think you should indulge.

Didn't know there was a variant with an underside turret. 

Thanks, both the C and D models originally had the turrets fitted as standard but due to problematic issues, they were deleted mid-production run. 

Did you conduct some wizardry for the photographs and backgrounds? I like the effect. 

Cheers, not really, Picasa provided the backgrounds and text...the photos were taken on my Nikon D7200 fitted to a Manfrotto tripod, using three studio strobe flashes fitted with remote triggers, a reflector brolly...oh and some white card, a mirror and a bit of smoke...;)

EXCELLENT !!! Desert warrior is one of my all time favorite B-25’s please tell me this is a kit option decal ? 

It certainly is and very nice they are too. I agree, a good choice by Airfix...these desert birds got very tatty so you can have a bit of fun with the weathering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice build. I'm a bit jealous, Melchie. I've had two of these on order since September or October, hoping to finish one for an IPMS meet in February... but the release date keeps getting pushed back. I wanted to be the first kid on the block!

Still can't wait to get my mitts on them.

• Like 1

More than any other release announced by Airfix, this is the one I've been itching to get my paws upon. Good to read that the problems are easily sorted, old friend. Bought a decal sheet months ago, all I'll need is a masking set and it'll hit the bench virtually as soon as it arrives !!

Great build, Andy.

Ian.

• Like 2

Very pretty Mitchell.  Thanks for the warning about the undercarriage; I can't tell from my I-pad's interpretation of your photos if Airfix have mounded flats on the main wheel tyres which might help a bit.  I'm waiting for the RAF version too.

• Like 1

I'm a bit jealous, Melchie. I've had two of these on order since September or October, hoping to finish one for an IPMS meet in February... but the release date keeps getting pushed back. I wanted to be the first kid on the block!

Thanks, Jackson, we tend to get the Airfix test shots and pre-production kits well ahead of time so that the build article coincides with the kit's release, or as near as possible...but it doesn't always quite work out like that as you can see.

Hi Ian, how goes it on the far side?

More than any other release announced by Airfix, this is the one I've been itching to get my paws upon. Good to read that the problems are easily sorted, old friend. Bought a decal sheet months ago, all I'll need is a masking set and it'll hit the bench virtually as soon as it arrives !!

I don't think you'll be disappointed, it's a lovely little number and yes the problems are easily sorted, many may well find the undercarriage OK as is, I just wanted it to stay put, especially with the amount of nose weight needed to prevent the dreaded nose-sitting.  Here's an in-build shot of the correction, the nose leg just clips into place...(the bomb bay doors were painted aluminium later in the build).

1-DSC_0343-001_zpswhuilfva.jpg

One word of warning...as mentioned, it needs a lot of weight up front, I also ended up cramming some in the engine nacelles to be sure.

1-DSC_0299_zpsfhh77ds0.jpg

The engine facings are rather nice too, just a couple of lengths of red lead wire, some dry brushing and AK washes added...two styles of cowling are included, smooth-faced and those fitted with the Clayton flame dampers to enable all variants to be built.

1-DSC_0316_zpsiqiptyrw.jpg

Just hope Airfix continue and produce the awesome solid nosed 'strafer' heavy gunships...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 7

Cracking build mate, rather looking forwards to getting one of these. The stash of red boxes is getting bigger!

love the photos too. Can’t beat a desert scheme, especially when it’s painted as well as yours :)

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very kind of you,

John,

Nice to see an option for the ventral turret, must be a 1st in 1:72nd?

I think you're right, the only other early B-25s were the old Italeri B/C, the Monogram B/C (snaptite) and ancient FROG Mitchell II which has been repopped under different companies many times. Graet to see a modern-day tooling. 

rather looking forwards to getting one of these. The stash of red boxes is getting bigger!

Hi mate, thanks for that...looking forward to receiving the Mitchell II at some point, a real must for the table... Just hope they continue with the Bomber Command theme, a nice new Battle, Hampden and Albermarle (in both scales), among a few others would go down rather well...

Lovely, another thumbs up from me.

I'm glad you mentioned the weight as B-25 kits are notorious tail sitters and I was going to ask how much you added, a lot, clearly.

I can't wait (well I'll just have to) for the RAF Mitchell to be released so I can finally put my collection of Frog, Italeri and a Hasegawa donor kit plus various AM stuff safely out of sight. I'm not normally a builder of the victorious Allied types but my next door neighbour's father won a DFC leading a flight of Mitchells on a daylight raid over Holland and I had decided to build her Dad's aircraft (or at least a 1/72 scale facsimile) for her. When Airfix announced a new kit I gave a great sigh of relief as the alternatives involved skills that I really don't possess (general modelling skills) so I'm looking forward to assembling one of these instead.

Thanks for the heads up on what to watch out for when the kit finally arrives.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Thanks Duncan, as I said you won't be disappointed, a decent Mitchell II is very welcome. Great to hear that you're building one for such a good reason too, I imagine he's got many a tale to tell.

I don't remember just how much lead I shoved in there but I put it everywhere it would fit including the engine nacelles, luckily Airfix has given us a decent amount of space between the cockpit floor and the bottom of the fuselage, just have to be mindful of what can be seen through the bomb aimers crawlspace.

Something I didn't mention earlier was using Key Publishing's excellent new B-25 Mitchell volume 2 of the new Combat Machines series that Chris and the lads at Key have been working hard on. Everything you need to know about the aircraft is in here, styled very much with the modeller in mind, it's well worth getting hold of...

1-Haunebu002-001_zpspztbe2g5.jpg

Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see they've used a whole clear piece for the side windows like they did for their B-17G/Fortress III. I don't recall seeing sprue shots yet but is there an option for waist gunner positions? Simple openings vs enclosed bulged windows would be neat. DK Decals have released a really sexy set of markings for B-25's lately (see below) so one day...maybe one day I'll build both a Mitchell II & B-25G.

B25RAF_navod1.jpg

345BG_navod1.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely job as usual,.....I`m really looking forward to building a few of these when they eventually arrive!! I bought the magazine solely for your article,....again!!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

I see they've used a whole clear piece for the side windows like they did for their B-17G/Fortress III. I don't recall seeing sprue shots yet but is there an option for waist gunner positions?

Not in this issue of the C/D (the kit portrays the earlier airframe) but who knows what will be released later down the line, if a J or H are on the cards then the parts will allow all variants to be built. Personally other than the hard-nosed G and H 'strafers' I'd really like to see a Marines PBJ-1D with the APS-3 search radar nose option at some point.

I`m really looking forward to building a few of these when they eventually arrive!! I bought the magazine solely for your article,....again!!!

Cheers Tony, long time no see, hopefully catch you at one of the shows this year, (or maybe Neil can arrange another museum trip). Sorry to cost you a few bob...there are quite a few more to come I'm afraid ;)

Greetings and thanks Roman...you'll enjoy the kit, I'm sure...

• Like 1