Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire Vb

Well here's my latest, the Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire Vb in the markings of Doug Brown's "Wine, Woman and Song" of 485(NZ) Sqn. I had a few issues along the way and this certainly wasn't the most trouble free build I've had but I'm pleased she's finished and especially due to the fact that Doug was a golfing mate of my father and I'd been lucky to visit Doug on several occasions to talk about his time flying Spits. So from a personal level this one is a little bit special.

In several places (including the DK Decals sheet) I've only seen Doug's "Wine Woman and Song" portrayed as BM199 but I have a lot of info and photos of 485 and I was able to ascertain that this aircraft is actually BM200 so I ended up cannibalising the DK sheet to make the serial correct.

In terms of the kit itself, well it does have some shape issues and the dihedral is not pronounced enough but it goes together very easily. The decals are typical Tamiya which I always find problematic at least in one of two areas - with this one the wing walkway lines suffered slight silvering. The DK Decals (dodgy serial aside) are excellent and went down absolutely flawlessly, I'm really thrilled with them. Unfortunately the research for this 485 Sqn Spitfires sheet has a lot of inaccuracies (not just Doug's aircraft) so if you are planning on using it, do your research first!

I had an issue using Decalfix for the first time on the port underwing roundel and as a result I left it as is as it actually gave quite a good impression on the paint on the roundel having chipped off. However for the rest of the decals only Micro Sol was used. I still need to add a rear vision mirror on the top of the canopy as the kit doesn't come with one but for now I'm calling this done.

In all honesty these photos aren't the best. The sun has only just returned here in Arctic Norway and lighting is completely artificial and not terribly good. I'll take a couple of better snaps and post them here when we get some sunshine. 

And here's the details:

Paints: Humbrol enamels (163, 106, 64 and 90) brush painted

Gloss coat: Pledge Extra Protection Wax (Scandinavia's bottling of Multi Surface). This was the first time I used this stuff having not brought my Klear over when we shifted country and I am completely pleased with it both as a gloss coat and canopy dip.

Decals: Tamiya, DK Decals and Carpena

Matt coats: Humbrol 49 and Windsor & Newton Matt varnish

Weathering: Enamel sludge wash, pastels and artist pencils

Build thread here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235026927-tamiya-172-spitfire-vb-485nz-sqn/

Thanks for looking,

Tim

DlA9PVd.jpg

anq8YJ6.jpg

pXfUIPW.jpg

XMlRSpj.jpg

P5dwGVM.jpg

9HrjeUW.jpg

3gwJIPx.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 14

14 minutes ago, 304th BRAT said:

Dk Decals show this aircraft with earlier roundels, can you confirm which is correct

I can 100% confirm that Wine, Woman and Song carried the later C type roundels as I have a photograph of her with them ;)

And thank you for the likes fellas!

Edited by Smithy

Pleased to help. Also just be aware that "Wine, Woman and Song" was BM200 not BM199. Doug flew BM199 but she carried the earlier 485 style of rounded codes and was not named. BM200 also had no headrest on the seat and had the plain non-spoked wheels.

Cheers,

Tim

35 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Very nice build, the grey is perfect, I find it hard to the great right but you have it perfect to my eye 

Thanks Valkyrie. I've been using 106 and 64 for Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey respectively since I got back into the hobby in 2001 and I'm always happy with how they turn out.

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thanks Valkyrie. I've been using 106 and 64 for Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey respectively since I got back into the hobby in 2001 and I'm always happy with how they turn out.

That’s what I use, tamiya and or Humbrol but my colours don’t look as good as yours

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

That’s what I use, tamiya and or Humbrol but my colours don’t look as good as yours

It's probably just the dark Arctic winter lighting making them look better than they are Valkyrie :lol:

• Haha 1

Got some pretty arctic weather in 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  just now I might have to finish my first Spitfire and get some pics before it melts and the sun comes up...

• Like 1